i ended up with a rat. help?

Flower

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
(sorry I'm gonna quote mine here :eek: )
Do you seriously think a piece of chocolate is going to shorten a dog's lifespan? It doesn't matter how many times you feed it candy, it only takes one piece with an ingredient toxic to rats to shorten their lifespan.

Treats are fine every now and then but you need to make sure that it is safe for the ratties, not just picking random junk foods.
To clarify this argument that's been going on:

A general rule is that what is okay for us is okay for them.

But okay isn't good enough on a regular basis.

In an ideal world, people would eat things only healthy for them, and would probably be healthier for longer. Junk foods lead to nutritional imbalance and obesity. A small amount of candy or chocolate for us is huge for a rat, it's like us eating a whole chocolate cake. Why do that when they are just as satisfied with plenty of healthy foods?

Sugarless cereals, occasional nuts (fat content is high there) a sweet fruit like strawberries or kiwi, meat, and even crickets (which rats LOVE) make good and mostly healthy snacks that you can feed without causing harm. :)

Some things we can ingest that rats CAN'T are soda, and really sticky things. They don't pass gass or burp like we do so a buildup of the carbon in sodas is potentially lethal. Overly sticky things like honey and peanut butter can cause problems too, due to rats lacking a gag reflex. It can actually clog their throats and kill them. It's like chocolate and chicken bones for dogs -- if your dog eats some chocolate or eats a chicken bone it might not die, but it COULD. So why risk it?

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
To clarify this argument that's been going on:

A general rule is that what is okay for us is okay for them.

But okay isn't good enough on a regular basis.

In an ideal world, people would eat things only healthy for them, and would probably be healthier for longer. Junk foods lead to nutritional imbalance and obesity. A small amount of candy or chocolate for us is huge for a rat, it's like us eating a whole chocolate cake. Why do that when they are just as satisfied with plenty of healthy foods?

Sugarless cereals, occasional nuts (fat content is high there) a sweet fruit like strawberries or kiwi, meat, and even crickets (which rats LOVE) make good and mostly healthy snacks that you can feed without causing harm. :)

Some things we can ingest that rats CAN'T are soda, and really sticky things. They don't pass gass or burp like we do so a buildup of the carbon in sodas is potentially lethal. Overly sticky things like honey and peanut butter can cause problems too, due to rats lacking a gag reflex. It can actually clog their throats and kill them. It's like chocolate and chicken bones for dogs -- if your dog eats some chocolate or eats a chicken bone it might not die, but it COULD. So why risk it?
Thank you Flower. That clarifies what I've been saying. The point of this board seems to elude him. To clarify that point: It is to learn from you peers. It seems any idea contrary to that belief is "self-righteous" and so on blah blah.
no worthwhile substance to this discussion
As opposed to what? Feed rats trash and candy? If keeping my rats on safe foods is considered, self-righteous, annoying, and offensive then thank you I'll gladly be so. I haven not seen any of this logic that you speak of and only lashing out against people that have information that is correct over yours.
Talk about needing the last word...:rolleyes: You flame me for arguing? You realize it takes two to argue? This will be last word to you. The immaturity is astounding. Just give it a rest

Last edited: