I don't wander in here often, but here is something...

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Update:

The gecko still seems to be doing great. But I wasn't that happy with his enclosure. While several resources state that a ten gallon tank is sufficient for a single adult, you really cannot create a heat gradient, nor can you have three hides, (cooler end, warmer end, and a central one for humidity) . And there is not much room for decoration /enrichment.
So, i bought a twenty-gallon long for him. It looks better and affords more space and heat variations. It turned out pretty good, i didn't go too elaborate because that just makes cleaning more of a chore. here are the results.

m_IMG_5639.jpg

This was shortly after i made the change and he was exploring the new digs. As you can see, he was in shed at the time. I'm gonna get a more naturalistic humid hide for him eventually, but he seems to like the one he has fine for the time being.

Then he double checked the temperature.

m_IMG_5650.jpg

I took this one tonight as he was on an expedition. Seemingly to again make sure the temperature was satisfactory

m_IMG_5732.jpg

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
A nice background can make a big difference. I'm a lot happier with the results than I was. Still a bit of tweaking to do and perhaps an addition or two, but I'm getting pretty satisfied. There is the analog dial for the ambient temperatures on the hot end, a digital one on the "cool" end, and I have an infrared thermometer to measure surface temperatures.
I also bought a roll of the "desert' tone carpeting, though I will still use the green ones when cleaning time comes. On the one hand, the desert carpet looks more natural, in the other hand, the lizard contrasts more against the green due to his own colouration. But I'm kinda liking the more authentic look. even if the background features plants that I don't think grow in leopard gecko's natural habitats. Gotta replace the mid-hide for something more natural. As far as equipment goes, all I need is a thermostat for the UTH, and that should be all of the gear I need.

m_IMG_5753crop.jpg

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
What? My background was photoshopped?!? That's it, it's going back. They could have at least 'shopped Bigfoot into it, fer Pete's sake!

I'm kidding of course. It doesn't matter if it was photoshopped. I photoshopped the gecko in there myself. It's all been a sham! I just have a slug. I'm so embarrassed but I cannot keep living this lie! My gecko ran away to enter the lucrative auto insurance business. :eek:

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I haven't appeared in this thread in awhile but since I've had a bit of concern of possible impaction I was reminded of it. I'm not in panic mode yey but it has been awhile since a BM. I'm gonna take some measures, but that's not really what I am posting about. Yet.

when I was researching the various solutions for the potential problem, I ran across this gem, on an obviously poorlytranslated site:

"The rule of the thumb in direction of comply with is, the foods of the leopard gecko need to not be much larger than ½ of the dimensions of the leo’s intellect."

Great. I have no idea how to administer an I.Q. test to a gecko. He reads a lot of philosophy books and can do calculus, though, so whatever the issue might be, I'm confident I was not feeding him prey that is too large. :D

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I think the real test is of emotional intelligence. Show him a video of a cat doing something stupid and see if he laughs

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
The best possible impaction remedy I've heard is a warm bath (low to mid 70s) and gently massage his belly downward toward the vent. It's best if you can do the massage while in the water but he may not allow it.
Feeder choice plays a big part in risk of impaction, that's why I avoid things like mealworms and to a lesser extent superworms. Hopefully he is doing well though!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I think the real test is of emotional intelligence. Show him a video of a cat doing something stupid and see if he laughs
If he laughs, would that make him emotional intelligent or not? Your statement can go both ways :D

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
The best possible impaction remedy I've heard is a warm bath (low to mid 70s) and gently massage his belly downward toward the vent. It's best if you can do the massage while in the water but he may not allow it.
Feeder choice plays a big part in risk of impaction, that's why I avoid things like mealworms and to a lesser extent superworms. Hopefully he is doing well though!
I haven't fed him anything but crickets for quite a while. I did the warm bath thing for to consecutive nights, along with the massage, as you mentioned. No direct results. However, I decided to temporarily remove his cooler side hide, as he has been spending more time there. He possibly wishes to bromate a bit, but I decided to do so anyway, as warmth is supposed to aid in digestion and elimination. Yesterday, I noted with great relief a deposited BM. I will return his cool side hide Maybe it was a coincidence of circumstances, I don't know, all that matters is that he did it after probably three weeks since the last time he ate, I was starting to get concerned.

In other gecko news, Peggy Tripod, the gecko formerly known as simply Tripod, is doing well and eats like a horse and associated my approach and movement as a feeding cue. I've taken to feeding him or her from my fingers, as he or she has a propensity to get teeth stuck in the reptile carpeting, so far the one downside I have found with the product. his will not be a permanent measure, when I find a suitable dish, I'll use that method, the same way I do with the larger neighbour.

Lastly, the small crested gecko is still hanging in there, looks healthy to me, although it definitely is not an enthusiastic eater.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
I haven't fed him anything but crickets for quite a while. I did the warm bath thing for to consecutive nights, along with the massage, as you mentioned. No direct results. However, I decided to temporarily remove his cooler side hide, as he has been spending more time there. He possibly wishes to bromate a bit, but I decided to do so anyway, as warmth is supposed to aid in digestion and elimination. Yesterday, I noted with great relief a deposited BM. I will return his cool side hide Maybe it was a coincidence of circumstances, I don't know, all that matters is that he did it after probably three weeks since the last time he ate, I was starting to get concerned.

In other gecko news, Peggy Tripod, the gecko formerly known as simply Tripod, is doing well and eats like a horse and associated my approach and movement as a feeding cue. I've taken to feeding him or her from my fingers, as he or she has a propensity to get teeth stuck in the reptile carpeting, so far the one downside I have found with the product. his will not be a permanent measure, when I find a suitable dish, I'll use that method, the same way I do with the larger neighbour.

Lastly, the small crested gecko is still hanging in there, looks healthy to me, although it definitely is not an enthusiastic eater.
Good to hear he finally passed things through. I'm not surprised you already tried the bath thing. You definitely have things under control.
Depending on how your general weather has been the last month, brumation is possible. My first year with Apollo and Arya, she went through a drastic appetite change that was attributed to brumation.
I had the same issue with reptile Carey, the teeth getting stuck and once Apollo got his toenails caught as well. I switched to tile as substrate instead. It's not as easy cleaning, but looks better to me.
I really think Peggy T is going to end up with a long healthy life. Seems like the missing parts are not even noticed. Strange that your Crested isn't all that hungry, possibly brumation again. Maybe even age? I'm not great with Cresties though

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Thanks! Since I had been refraining from feedings until the threat of possible impaction was resolved -I didn't want to add more to a potential blockage- I gave the big guy a light feeding tonight, six crickets of moderate size with a small dusting of supplements. He ate as enthusiastically as ever. I had planned on treating him to a few wax worms, but none were available. My reasoning was that they would be pretty digestible, as soft-bodied as they are.
I also decided to wait a bit before returning his cool side hideout to ensure digestion was good. He still has a hide in the center, the one I use as a humid hide although currently it is dry and I'll need to moisturize it again. When I see a second elimination as a result of the latest feeding, I'll return the other hide to the cool side. I'm sort of playing it by ear, really.

And yes, I agree that given no mitigating circumstances, Peggy T will prosper. I'll be keeping a close eye on the protuberance on his/her stump, naturally, and take measures if it seems to be becoming a concern. I'm sort of hoping it will eventually atrophy and drop off, as I'd rather not have it surgically removed to avoid trauma to Peggy and to my wallet. Whatever it takes in the end will be done, though. I'd just prefer for it to resolve itself and reduce the risk to the gecko's well-being.

As for the crestie, I'm not quite as optimistic, but I'll do my best.