I.D needed for a Trapdoor.

Ritzman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This was given to me with no info on where it cam from.
It immediately took to digging a hole. Very stout lil guy.
Grabs ahold of tongs and will not let go.

Thanks in advance!

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i can help you key it out, but the first shot i need is not easy, especially with a fractious spider

i would need to see if it has claw tufts. these are somewhat easy to mistake for the bottom of scopulae, though. claw tufts are NOT anchored in the tarsus, only the foot

if yes, next shot would be of the underside, of the sternum, but get ALL the sternum in good focus cuz i am looking at the anterior lobes

if not, easy next is book lung openings then almost certainly the next shot is of all the tarsi, to see if there are trichobothria present on all or absent from most

Ritzman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
All right, she is buried and I don't want to dig her up right now.
But after searching the internet learning all those new terms you threw at me,(I was hoping you would answer, I enjoy reading your posts and learn quite a bit of info) Bug guide.net, and help from another member from another forum, I think it is Cyrtaucheniidae Eucteniza. Wafer-lid Trapdoor spiders.

This looks spot on like my lady.
http://bugguide.net/node/view/157119/bgpage

And I found this great site for spider lingo
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ednieuw/Spiders/Spiderglossary.htm

claw tufts are NOT anchored in the tarsus, only the foot.
I thought the last segment on there leg was the tarsus aka foot.
When you say claw tufts, are you referring to that like a tarantula? How they have 2 little claws at the end of the last segment on the leg?

I will try to get pics of it when I re-house her.
Thanks for replying.
---Miguel

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

tarantulas (Theraphosidae) do have claw tufts, for reference

let me look up my foot/tarsus thingy. i posted when i had gotten back from walking 5 miles in the relatively hot sun and was a bit dehydrated... makes me kinda stupid. my bro actually asked me if i was drunk =P

edit:
yeah, looks like i goofed it. the claw tufts are separate from scopulae, at any rate

also, i can see if i can find diagnostics to confirm your tentative ID (does look pretty darn similar, though)

oh, and i am operating off of Raven 1985, so i could be slightly out of date =P

edit^2:
blast, Cyrtauchenidae has 8 termini in the dichoto i am using... and they don't say what parts of Cyr each terminus represents.... means i need to dig out the pdf and not the excel cheat sheet i made =P

edit^3:
the paper i am using is here, if you want to play along at home
http://digitallibrary.amnh.org/dspace/handle/2246/955?mode=full

e4:
"Fovea broad, procurved (most genera)
or recurved (Fufius, Aptostichus)." seems good so far

"Tarsi I (and to a lesser
extent II) of females scopulate (most genera)
or ascopulate (Kiama, Bolostromus, Rhytidicolus)." seems like i can see this, though i am tricked by trying to see scopulae from the top view sometimes

"Preening combs present
(Homostola, Eucteniza, Myrmekiaphila) or
absent (all other genera)." this would be a good one to check out, as it narrows Cyr' down to two USA genera

Last edited:

Ritzman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the info man. Greatly appreciated. Dam pc won't let me download that pdf file... I dunno if I have to update my Adobe reader or what. I'll have to try again later.

So some trapdoors lack the claws on the end of the pretarsus aka tarsus?

Wow, info overload. Again thanks.

Last edited:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
no problem. take it all with a grain of salt and double check everything i say, though!

afaik all spiders should have claws. it is the hairiness of them that is in question =P

bonus info... web hanging spiders *tend* to have three claws and others tend to have two claws. this is NOT an absolute... just a tendency

also, if you just can't get that download to work i can slice it and email it to you. it's a pretty sweet paper!

Ritzman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
also, if you just can't get that download to work i can slice it and email it to you. it's a pretty sweet paper!
Cool. I'm going to try tomorrow, if not I'll get it from you. I probably just have to update something.

bonus info... web hanging spiders *tend* to have three claws and others tend to have two claws. this is NOT an absolute... just a tendency
Ha I just read that in a book I have(The Big Bug Book).
And I quote, pg 19;
Web-building spiders have a third, middle claw that hooks over the silk lines of the web and holds the silk against barbed hairs. This allows the spider to grip the smooth, dry silk of its web without falling or slipping
I wonder if that applies to a certain web-builder or all. Like would it apply to a tangle-web spider(widow) and a orb-web spider(Argiope)? Probably.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i think most spiders that litterally hang it webs have 3, so yes for argiope and latro and stuff like them... but probably no for wolfs, jumpers, tarantulas (have two, for sure)

the weird thing is some mygs DO have three... and are obviously not spinning air webs to catch prey =P

some Nemesiidae and especially Dipluridae do make pretty elaborate web retreats though

sounds like a good book. i have the Golden Guide that is a kids book, but it is pretty sweet none-the-less

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
REALLY looks like one I have from TX and was told by a spider person that they are prob E. stolida around central tx, ...of course that would need much more looking into for your spider there.

Ritzman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
sounds like a good book. i have the Golden Guide that is a kids book, but it is pretty sweet none-the-less
It is a pretty cool book. It has alot of neat stuff in it and it was only 6$. Decent sized book to boot. I also have the big book of snakes. 6$ :D

REALLY looks like one I have from TX and was told by a spider person that they are prob E. stolida around central tx, ...of course that would need much more looking into for your spider there.
Galapoheros can I have the full latin name so I can find a pic of it?