I can't keep doing this, keeping feeders.

Toddydog

Arachnosquire
I kept a superworm. It was cute. It's becoming a darken beetle (Zophobas morio). I've named it Morton.
20180303_154237.jpg
I can't be the only person who keeps feeders as pets. Why am I like this?:banghead:

Jerry

Arachnobaron
I have meal worm colony that's just there I don't have anything that eats them anymore but I still keep them going

Toddydog

Arachnosquire
I have meal worm colony that's just there I don't have anything that eats them anymore but I still keep them going
I know the feeling, I started one and stopped using mealworms so I just have this colony I'm not using.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
My theory is that’s how invertebrate enthusiasts are born. The start out as reptile people, and then decide that the feeder is cooler than the pet

davehuth

Arachnoknight
I bought my superworms specifically for the purpose of growing them up into Darkling Beetle adults to add to my communal desert tank. They're cool on their own, and don't need any other utilitarian justification! :-D

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I have a single darkling beetle, a single dubia, and a single B. lat. All have received a stay of execution for various reasons. I honestly wouldn't call them pets though, because in a desperate situation, I likely would feed them off. I would likely regret it afterwards and miss them though. :sorry: But unless a desperate situation comes about, they are free to live out their lives comfortably.

My hissers are a different story entirely. Most are friends, not food

Thewafflishone

Arachnopeon
I think there's interest and value to be had in keeping all sorts of things, although my husband might murder me in my sleep if I decide to keep one more variety of feeder... currently keeping b. Dubia, fruit flies, meal worms, wax worms, super worms, and springtails. Still, a lateralis colony would be good to have...

Dave Jay

Arachnoknight
I have two colonies of 'woodies', wood cockraches that we use as feeders here, but I still buy tubs of them to feed the tree frogs instead of using mine, it's easier to feed them strangers! I like the woodies because they are more interactive than the scorpions and frogs, and they interact with each other which is good to watch, some will try every piece of fruit or veg then go back and fight for the one they chose, and if I add a few new ones it's on! Brawlin' or lovin' left right and centre!

basin79

ArachnoGod
I kept a superworm. It was cute. It's becoming a darken beetle (Zophobas morio). I've named it Morton.
View attachment 268508
I can't be the only person who keeps feeders as pets. Why am I like this?:banghead:
I have loads of meal worm beetles in my big live food tub. If a meal/morio worm makes it to a beetle it lives out it's life.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
nothing wrong with a pet superworm! tenebrionidae are very neat beetles many have immense lifespans

Toddydog

Arachnosquire
Yeah I don't mind too much it's just getting kind of crazy in my room.

coniontises

Arachnosquire
I bought my superworms specifically for the purpose of growing them up into Darkling Beetle adults to add to my communal desert tank. They're cool on their own, and don't need any other utilitarian justification! :-D
Zophobas is a forest darkling, although it should do well as long as it isn’t too hot and enough water-containing food is around

Toddydog

Arachnosquire
I just started off thinking, oh I'll just get 1 tarantula and now I have a zoo. I really need some self control at this point.

Toddydog

Arachnosquire
Morton has uhh hatched? I'm not sure what the word would be but it was quite intresting to watch. I threw in a carrot and he's going to town. 20180315_121500.jpg

Mentat Ix

Arachnopeon
I started a dubia colony to feed the bearded dragon last year. Its also one of the main reasons I decided to keep tarantulas - hey, I already have feeders and some T's won't even make a dent.

Turns out, feeding dubia to Ts is a royal pain and none of my other reptiles like to eat them either. Then beardy decided to brumate... The colony is huge now, and I haven't taken feeders from it in months.

Then I have all the cleanup crews going. Four different species of isopods, two different species of springtails. Out of my 8 bioactive tanks, only one of them is working really well, but all of the bug colonies are booming.

At some point I might just give up on bioactive setups and just have a bunch of bugs. Who knows.

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
Morton has uhh hatched? I'm not sure what the word would be but it was quite intresting to watch. I threw in a carrot and he's going to town. View attachment 269523
It's super cute to watch them wiggle out of their old skin, right? I finally started getting some beetles out of my supers. I have three so far, and I'm bettin' one more will be ready when I get home. :embarrassed: