I being overrun

NMWAPBT

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm being overrun by caterpillars. They're literally everywhere. Just few pics lol.

Attachments

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That happens here in central Texas sometimes, not every year though, it depends on what the conditions have been. Some years I see almost nothing but other years they are all over the place, webbing everywhere that lasts for months.

WriggleNightbug

Arachnopeon
Really nice caterpillars, especially to just be popping up everywhere. Have you been collecting any to raise? Its always fun seeing what you get, especially if you don't know the species. When I was a kid we found this massive black caterpillar with short spikes allover it. We kept it, it stayed in the cocoon for a very long time. We thought it might've died but then one day in our bug container was a demon from hell! I have no idea what it was, some kind of horrifying black and white moth with a very structured body and the face of satan. Moths and me are a nope, I hope those are butterfly caterpillars and not moths.

Awhile back I noticed a lot of caterpillars but only at one park. They kept falling out of the trees and into my stuff, they were plain looking, was too far from home to try to catch any so just kept them in the wild.

Phia

Arachnopeon
I happen to really hate caterpillars, haha. It's a childhood phobia, but as such I happen to have specialized memory of my personal demons. That looks to me like Orgyia leucostigma, or the white marked tossock! They appear around here in south texas at the beginning of spring and end of fall when weather is milder. They eat the new leaves off oak trees!

Wanted to add the most annoying thing about these little guys is the army of fuzzy little cocoons they leave behind. They're literally everywhere. :dead::dead::dead:

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
I happen to really hate caterpillars, haha. It's a childhood phobia, but as such I happen to have specialized memory of my personal demons. That looks to me like Orgyia leucostigma, or the white marked tossock! They appear around here in south texas at the beginning of spring and end of fall when weather is milder. They eat the new leaves off oak trees!

Wanted to add the most annoying thing about these little guys is the army of fuzzy little cocoons they leave behind. They're literally everywhere. :dead::dead::dead:
I don't mind caterpillars or moths, but I hated it so much when they would fall onto you from the tree tops!

NMWAPBT

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Lmao I believe they are the white tussock moth. I haven't been keeping any of them. From what I've read they spend most of their life as caterpillars and then morph into the moths. After which they dont eat and only find a mate to breed and lay eggs and die. If I remember correctly.