1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I asked a vendor for male tarantulas, he now thinks I breeds, and I need to keep living a lie

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Gh0ul, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Ratmosphere

Ratmosphere Arachnoprince Active Member

CT
    Advertisement
    Removed.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • Clarification Please Clarification Please x 1
  2. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Lots of species will give you a couple years.

I have a MM P. striata over 2 years mature....still looks good, eats and makes the occasional sperm web (much to my surprise).....I've even had Psalmo MMs make it nearly 2 years. A LD nearly 3 years mature that just doesn't want to die apparently....still looks good, too.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Arachnoclown

Arachnoclown Arachnosquire

If it wasn't for the ugly, long legged, short lived gentlemen getting munched all the time we wouldn't have any females...;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. AphonopelmaTX

AphonopelmaTX Moderator Staff Member

I say who cares what anyone thinks about someone who likes to collect male tarantulas. If someone is going to assume males are only good for breeding, then it shows a lack of appreciation for tarantulas in general. The way I see it, keeping only females will only give you half of the story on the species. As someone who likes to have male tarantulas myself without the purpose of breeding, I like to have them so I can see what they look like, how long they live in captivity, and anything else I can learn from them that I couldn't just from having females. If one's only interest in tarantulas is to have a pet with a 10-30 year commitment, then females only is a good policy. If one has a serious interest in tarantulas, I can't understand why such a person wouldn't want males.

Besides, anyone that hasn't witnessed a male tarantula construct a sperm web and load its palps from start to finish is missing out on really interesting behavior.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 3
    • Award Award x 2
    • Lollipop Lollipop x 1
  5. PanzoN88

PanzoN88 Arachnobaron Active Member

Ohio
    Does anyone have pictures of male pamphs, I feel like they could change some minds.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. draconisj4

draconisj4 Arachnoknight Active Member

Never say no one. I wouldn't mind if all my slings turned out to be male. In my case I'm an old lady so my time is limited, females would more than likely outlive me and my poor daughter would have more animals to rehome when I'm gone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor Active Member

I don't have money for tons of spiders. I like them all to be girls.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jonroe

Jonroe Arachnopeon

What a great post. I agree full heartily.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

I don't see a problem here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. this one of the funniest t related issues a person could have. honesty is the best policy OP remember that :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. viper69

You sir are 1,000x ahead of our president w/that sentiment. Maybe you should be POTUS.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. "President Ooze has converted 16 rooms in the White House to tarantula rooms. Republicans chime in."

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. viper69

It would be nice to have a Presidential snake or T for a change, been a long time since exotics were at the White House.

14. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

Happened? I mean (serious question) in the past you had a POTUS that kept venomous inverts/animals in the office? :pompous:

15. Tia B

Tia B Arachnopigeon Arachnosupporter

Arizona
    Yes, Teddy Roosevelt had a lot of weird pets. He had a free-roaming badger. Visitors were told to "skip lively".

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. viper69

Unsure about venomous, however we have had POTUS's with reptile, elephants and other exotics.