I am Suffering from Arachnophobia but, I choose to fight!

Do i need to buy more slings ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bakpao2nd

Arachnopeon
Hello .
So buddy, iam from Indonesia and to be honest Iam Suffering from Arachnophobia
even little jumping spider (about 1mm length) in front of me I feel weak, dull, and tingling
like sometimes theres a little spider that fell to my hand or my part of body what can I do is silence and doin nothing, iam to weak to scream and to dull to move it away.
seein youtube about tarantulas, u can imagine how weak iam when I watch you guys play your T's
theres a story when huntsman spider familia, idk which one is this, but its definitely huntsman, I can say it from how long his leg is and how hairy it is and as big as my palm,
u know what happened, it cross my feet, just crossing by! with his super fast movements,
after that shocking event I got tingling like for a fuckin week !

deep in my heart I know I need to overcome this thing. because I don't want to have this phobia forever, humans need to exeed his limit, and there's no limit
“Believe in your infinite potential. Your only limitations are those you set upon yourself.”
― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart (book)

and last night I bought 2 T's

This one is Brachypelma albopilosum , 1 month old after hatch, after one night sleep with anxious finally I have a ball to open his lid and take a pict of him.
DSC_0073.JPG
DSC_0073.JPG

this 2nd one is Grammostola Pulchripes, 6 month old after hatch, it's about 2,5cm length, and i still don't have a guts to open his lid and take a close pic, even holding his cage tingling me !
DSC_0072.JPG
DSC_0072.JPG

I hope I can overcome my phobia.

and you know, my body resist but my brain think, I need more T slings, like 10 slings, because T's have quite long lifespan and it feels like I will regret it, if I only watch 2 slings to grow, like a big regrets when I already overcome my phobia.

what do u think ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Welcome to the Arachnoboards! I hope you get over the arachnophobia. I recommend you do get more beginner slings, and build up experience. But you should first give some time with the two you already have before getting anymore. That way you can build experience to handle 10 slings in the future. The T. hobby is addicting, but experience is important for this hobby. ;)

Bob Len

Arachnosquire
No I would say it would be a bad idea to get more slings. As you have said, you struggled even to open one of their enclosures and the other you couldn't at all. This is not good. Your spiders will get larger, they may become more defensive and they will %100 be in need of lots of maintenance through their lives. I'm worried that you are not going to want to look after 12 big hairy tarantulas down the line, seeing as you are scared of slings at moment. A much easier and safer idea would be to sit on the Tarantulas you have at moment, wait for them to grow up (The B. albopilosum grows at a decent pace I believe) and then see how you feel about keeping Tarantulas.
I used to have arachnophobia and I know that the method you are taking can be successful, but not if you don't take your time.

Bakpao2nd

Arachnopeon
Welcome to the Arachnoboards! I hope you get over the arachnophobia. I recommend you do get more beginner slings, and build up experience. But you should first give some time with the two you already have before getting anymore. That way you can build experience to handle 10 slings in the future. The T. hobby is addicting, but experience is important for this hobby. ;)
:happy: thanks,
yeah experience the one that I need the most for now, and thanks again for ur suggestion buddy

No I would say it would be a bad idea to get more slings. As you have said, you struggled even to open one of their enclosures and the other you couldn't at all. This is not good. Your spiders will get larger, they may become more defensive and they will %100 be in need of lots of maintenance through their lives. I'm worried that you are not going to want to look after 12 big hairy tarantulas down the line, seeing as you are scared of slings at moment. A much easier and safer idea would be to sit on the Tarantulas you have at moment, wait for them to grow up (The B. albopilosum grows at a decent pace I believe) and then see how you feel about keeping Tarantulas.
I used to have arachnophobia and I know that the method you are taking can be successful, but not if you don't take your time.
buddy u give's me tingling bud. :bigtears:
I think just like @Liquifin said, experience 1st ..
EXP EXP !

Bob Len

Arachnosquire
buddy u give's me tingling bud. :bigtears:
I think just like @Liquifin said, experience 1st ..
EXP EXP !
Experience first for someones who is not deathly afraid of Spiders. As I said I was in the exact same position as you, you need to give yourself time to get over your fear. I think it's great that you are trying to get over your fear, but buying more tarantulas could mess up any progress.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
As other's said, definitely just stick with the 2 you have for a little while till you're comfortable doing all the things you need to do. Probably won't be but another feed or two and you'll get to see your first molt from the G. pulchripes so don't freak out if you find it upside down doing some crazy alien like stuff :rofl:.

Experience first for someones who is not deathly afraid of Spiders. As I said I was in the exact same position as you, you need to give yourself time to get over your fear. I think it's great that you are trying to get over your fear, but buying more tarantulas could mess up any progress.
This is totally off topic but I was literally just listening to Gold by Brockhampton in the car, just noticed your profile pic :rofl:

SteveIDDQD

Arachnosquire
I think a lot of people get into Ts because of arachnophobia, I hear that being said a lot anyway. I did, but it hasn't helped that much because I still don't like big, fast house spiders. I'm not scared of Ts though, but they are different some how.
Luckily we don't have huntsman spiders here because they scare the crap out of me, I can totally understand your fear of them.
Good luck with the slings, but don't buy anymore yet.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
You have literally the 2 best readily available beginner species you can get. Stick with those for a few months and see how you get on.

decirp

Arachnopeon
i hear ya my friend got my first Brachypelma Albopilosum and loving it, just a lil dude or dudette. I'll be heading to the reptile show in TO to get one more, ill stick with two slings to start and ride that out for quite some time. Enjoy but don't get in over your head to early. People here give excellent advice. Enjoy your new found friends.

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
I used to be so afraid that I couldn’t touch a book if it was open with a picture of a T on it.

Now like 70 spiders in and loving every minute.

The b albo shouldn’t be a mean T. I got my 2 last December as slings and now they’re about 3 1/2”
They are calm and not defensive at all. If I bother them they just hide in their burrows.

wingedcoatl

Arachnopeon
I'd wait until you can open both of their containers and properly care for them before you buy anymore. It's not going to help your fear to be overwhelmed caring for lots of slings. The best thing I think you can do is learn as much as you can about them. Watch Tom Moran and EulersK videos. Get a copy of the Tarantula Keeper's Guide. Search AB for sling care how-to stuff. You picked two of the very best beginner Ts. You're going to do great :)

Bakpao2nd

Arachnopeon
As other's said, definitely just stick with the 2 you have for a little while till you're comfortable doing all the things you need to do. Probably won't be but another feed or two and you'll get to see your first molt from the G. pulchripes so don't freak out if you find it upside down doing some crazy alien like stuff :rofl:.

This is totally off topic but I was literally just listening to Gold by Brockhampton in the car, just noticed your profile pic :rofl:
I think a lot of people get into Ts because of arachnophobia, I hear that being said a lot anyway. I did, but it hasn't helped that much because I still don't like big, fast house spiders. I'm not scared of Ts though, but they are different some how.
Luckily we don't have huntsman spiders here because they scare the crap out of me, I can totally understand your fear of them.
Good luck with the slings, but don't buy anymore yet.
You have literally the 2 best readily available beginner species you can get. Stick with those for a few months and see how you get on.
i hear ya my friend got my first Brachypelma Albopilosum and loving it, just a lil dude or dudette. I'll be heading to the reptile show in TO to get one more, ill stick with two slings to start and ride that out for quite some time. Enjoy but don't get in over your head to early. People here give excellent advice. Enjoy your new found friends.
I used to be so afraid that I couldn’t touch a book if it was open with a picture of a T on it.

Now like 70 spiders in and loving every minute.

The b albo shouldn’t be a mean T. I got my 2 last December as slings and now they’re about 3 1/2”
They are calm and not defensive at all. If I bother them they just hide in their burrows.
I'd wait until you can open both of their containers and properly care for them before you buy anymore. It's not going to help your fear to be overwhelmed caring for lots of slings. The best thing I think you can do is learn as much as you can about them. Watch Tom Moran and EulersK videos. Get a copy of the Tarantula Keeper's Guide. Search AB for sling care how-to stuff. You picked two of the very best beginner Ts. You're going to do great :)
Thanks dudes, u guys such a great advisor and I think this advice that I need for now,
feels great that knowing that iam not the only one who want to overcome arachnophobia with T's,
@The Grym Reaper yea dude. and thanks god I didn't take Ceratogyrus Darlingi. for my 1st T's, although I almosy take this one, then I know this T's is quite aggressive :hurting:.
should I open youtube channel to invite other arachnophobia brother to join me overcome phobia haha ?

anyway this is my 2nd day of T's,
and today I already can hold my G.Pulchripes Tupperware cage without tingling.
but still.. I don't brave enough to open his lid.
I think this thread gonna be my diary of having T's, hahah sry guys because I need a lots of advice for this.
THANKS again by the way

Last edited:

wingedcoatl

Arachnopeon
I was phobic when I first started. Having to care for my G pulchripes sling and being responsible for its well-being and upkeep did a lot for me. Learning about it did the rest. Make sure you or someone else is providing the little ones with food and water. Your pulchripes will grow into about as chill a spider as you're ever going to get if your experience is like mine. Good job on avoiding the darlingi for now. They're neat too but they are a good first old world, not a good first overall. have fun!

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
I wouldn't buy another sling as the 2 you have aren't the fastest of growers go for a juvenile next gives you more experience at different sizes. I'm scared of the average house spider and some garden ones but T's are a different story for me I've always been interested in them strange how the phobia works

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I wouldn't buy another sling as the 2 you have aren't the fastest of growers go for a juvenile next gives you more experience at different sizes. I'm scared of the average house spider and some garden ones but T's are a different story for me I've always been interested in them strange how the phobia works
The 2 that the OP has will be juveniles within a few months anyway, both species grow reasonably fast up until around the 3" mark and then slow down after that

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
The 2 that the OP has will be juveniles within a few months anyway, both species grow reasonably fast up until around the 3" mark and then slow down after that
I know what you mean but the OP was want to know if he should go buy more slings, since already having 2 the next logical T should be a juvenile for experience

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I know what you mean but the OP was want to know if he should go buy more slings, since already having 2 the next logical T should be a juvenile for experience
The most logical thing would be to just wait it out and grow the slings they already have so that they get used to them. Then they can think about getting more/larger specimens.

I know we're all enablers and just want people to buy all the spoods (within reason) but if they're still sketched out by a grown-on sling then getting an even bigger spider won't necessarily help matters.

Bakpao2nd

Arachnopeon
The most logical thing would be to just wait it out and grow the slings they already have so that they get used to them. Then they can think about getting more/larger specimens.

I know we're all enablers and just want people to buy all the spoods (within reason) but if they're still sketched out by a grown-on sling then getting an even bigger spider won't necessarily help matters.
Yea . I'll buy some other if i get used to my T's. And i think ill follow @The Grym Reaper advice for now, because i think iam not ready enough for juve. Ive seen some juve. And i know i wasn't ready for it now @Andrew Clayton.

Anyway this is my 3rd day of having T's
And i already brave enough to open my G.Pulchripes lid since I want to feed them.
But the thing is.
My pulchripes scared to his food.
And standing on the wall and idk if hes vomiting water or what. 1st i see one drop of water near his mouth then i do something and i go check him again and theres 2 drop of water on the wall now.
Since he look like scare to his food. And now its look like vomiting clear water on the wall. I just dont know what happend
Anyway hes last meal on 13January and now is 16 January .
Note: green circle is his food, cockroach
And red one is water that i notice.
And hes moving away little bit because i move it a bit to take a pict. Before he move. His head near the water drop on the wall
sketch-1547626463527.png sketch-1547626463527.png

Anyway mr @The Grym Reaper is quite famous in this forum. Ive seen him a lot on other thread. Haha