I actually really love male tarantulas

SkittleBunny

Arachnosquire
Regardless of life span.. I love male tarantulas. I often refer to them as "handsome" and "absolutely bat $#!+ crazy" for some... Both in my case for the only mature male I have, Stiffler. Hes a Nicaraguan curly hair, he arrived 4/12/17 .I'm silly so I asked if they would send me a fat one (I assumed female T's stayed fatter..) And I got an incredibly fat and large T... Only 4 months away from maturing. He matured August 22, 2017. Right before he matured (I assumed it was male from ventral sexing) I bought Mitzy from The caffienated Spider, she had just molted and couldnt be shipped until she hardened. It was actually quite the perfect situation, both parties having molted within the same month.. When the time was right I paired them up, when the time was right again i paired them up again. I really shouldnt had need tarantulas yet.. But I didnt want him to wander out the rest of his days in search of something he could never have in my care, (thats why i bought Mitzy)

Anytime the cage is touched.. He runs everywhere, it always sounds like a drum roll with all those legs.. Then he will slow down and drag his back legs to a stop, all tuckered out. This is the "bat $#!+ crazy" side of him, that comes out when I water him or feed him. (He goes nuts when a cricket touches him but it ends with a dead cricket being eaten)

Anyways, stiffler, to me, is my prized tarantula. Hes the first one Ive ever had, and the father to the first eggsac successfully produced under my roof.

Even though hes a male, I wouldnt trade him for anything and I know his personality to a T (pun intended)

I hope some of you were intrigued instead of bored whilst reading this,
A spiel about Stiffler, which was inspired by a sad nightmare about him being injured.. (I had been looking at injured T's before bed..smart huh)

I just love a man with 8 long hairy legs. Lol

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
For me it's bittersweet. When I first got my immature male A. avic, he'd drum his little paws against the side. He'd do this every time I opened his kennel (my Ts have T kennels. Sorry, but it's because of the dogs.)
I love him now even though he's gone.
While I love my fems, I'll always have a special love for the boys.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
I agree! I love male tarantulas. So many folks are dead set on finding females, and it seems like finding out your T is a male is the end of the fricken world:eek:

Motion to end all T sexism;)

(my Ts have T kennels. Sorry, but it's because of the dogs.)
I get it. I have some of my Ts double-contained. I have a cat who would love nothing more than to sink her teeth into a tasty ball of venomous fury.

Last edited by a moderator:

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My immature male G. iheringi is great. He’s spastic and jumpy, I find him hilarious. Also big and fuzzy. I’ll be sad when he matures. But I have a sister of his too, who is almost as cool as he is.
2FDBB89D-1C88-4408-9911-31A7495B5B77.jpeg

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
I don’t mind having male T’s. It’s when they mature that I look for someone who can use him. :rolleyes:

boina

Lady of the mites
Since I often buy slings I end up with a lot of male tarantulas. I try to raise them right so that, when they go out into the world as real men, they will do me proud ;).

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Obviously it's somewhat disappointing having a rare/expensive specimen turn out to be male because I'm going to want to sell him on to a breeder once he hooks out so he can do his thing but I've enjoyed keeping a lot of my males.

View media item 49784 View media item 49249View media item 49085View media item 46632View media item 45420

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I almost always buy unsexed. I was ignorant in the beginning and bought some three inch or larger tarantulas as unsexed. Every single one is male. If that happens a few times or the tarantula is a whole lot more pricey than a curly hair u may change your tune about them lol.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I enjoy keeping my four males (H. dictator, E. Sp. red, B. sabulosum, B. emilia), they are some of my best eaters and in the case of the B. sabulosum very defensive, which made for amusing rehousings.

Dave Jay

Arachnoknight
Because I have multiple of most of the species I keep I'll be interested to see if there is any correlation between habits/personality and sex. I'm thinking the more outgoing ones might be male .

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
I love my Male p. Miranda but he's close to maturing and I'm a little worried I won't be able to find a female for him. I love how leggy he is though, looks like a starfish.
Snapchat-970557563.jpg

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
I love my Male p. Miranda but he's close to maturing and I'm a little worried I won't be able to find a female for him. I love how leggy he is though, looks like a starfish.
View attachment 273634
If you'd like to put off maturity in a Miranda, might I suggest playing some Spongebob Squarepants for him an hour or two each morning? It has worked famously for a Miranda I am familiar with. :troll:

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Likes males eh? You want my male LP? He's been making a sperm web every week for the past month. lol

Vinny2915

Arachnosquire
I love how makes of some species look like S.calceatum/H.maculata, P.irminia, P.pulcher etc.i still dislike getting them. I don't want to seem focused on money, because I'm not, but I hate how males are worth so little, and I usually buy a lot of slings to get a female/pair. So I get a couple of males and sometimes they are worth at or less than what I payed for them. For example, I bought a 1.5" P.ornata from TarantulaCanada a while back for $45.00, they are now 4" sexed males and noone will buy them for $45.00. so even if I sell at $45.00, I lost money on feeders. Plus they aren't going to live very long so it feels like a temporary member of the collection and I hate that feeling. With that being said, I do love males if I have a female for him.

Trincess

Arachnopeon
Regardless of life span.. I love male tarantulas. I often refer to them as "handsome" and "absolutely bat $#!+ crazy" for some... Both in my case for the only mature male I have, Stiffler. Hes a Nicaraguan curly hair, he arrived 4/12/17 .I'm silly so I asked if they would send me a fat one (I assumed female T's stayed fatter..) And I got an incredibly fat and large T... Only 4 months away from maturing. He matured August 22, 2017. Right before he matured (I assumed it was male from ventral sexing) I bought Mitzy from The caffienated Spider, she had just molted and couldnt be shipped until she hardened. It was actually quite the perfect situation, both parties having molted within the same month.. When the time was right I paired them up, when the time was right again i paired them up again. I really shouldnt had need tarantulas yet.. But I didnt want him to wander out the rest of his days in search of something he could never have in my care, (thats why i bought Mitzy)

Anytime the cage is touched.. He runs everywhere, it always sounds like a drum roll with all those legs.. Then he will slow down and drag his back legs to a stop, all tuckered out. This is the "bat $#!+ crazy" side of him, that comes out when I water him or feed him. (He goes nuts when a cricket touches him but it ends with a dead cricket being eaten)

Anyways, stiffler, to me, is my prized tarantula. Hes the first one Ive ever had, and the father to the first eggsac successfully produced under my roof.

Even though hes a male, I wouldnt trade him for anything and I know his personality to a T (pun intended)

I hope some of you were intrigued instead of bored whilst reading this,
A spiel about Stiffler, which was inspired by a sad nightmare about him being injured.. (I had been looking at injured T's before bed..smart huh)

I just love a man with 8 long hairy legs. Lol
I would love to see Stiffler

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
This discussion seems to demonstrate the difference between folks who keep T’s for the sake of keeping T’s, and those who have ulterior (I am in no way saying negative, but additional) motives.

Obviously it's somewhat disappointing having a rare/expensive specimen turn out to be male because I'm going to want to sell him on to a breeder once he hooks out so he can do his thing but I've enjoyed keeping a lot of my males.

View media item 49784 View media item 49249View media item 49085View media item 46632View media item 45420
Dude, between you, @basin79, and @KezyGLA, I’m starting to think specimens sold in the UK are MUCH better looking than those sold over here. Or, is it you just have better cameras. Phenomenal specimens! Hobbiests who see these should covet males.

Last edited by a moderator:

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
I love how makes of some species look like S.calceatum/H.maculata, P.irminia, P.pulcher etc.i still dislike getting them. I don't want to seem focused on money, because I'm not, but I hate how males are worth so little, and I usually buy a lot of slings to get a female/pair. So I get a couple of males and sometimes they are worth at or less than what I payed for them. For example, I bought a 1.5" P.ornata from TarantulaCanada a while back for $45.00, they are now 4" sexed males and noone will buy them for $45.00. so even if I sell at $45.00, I lost money on feeders. Plus they aren't going to live very long so it feels like a temporary member of the collection and I hate that feeling. With that being said, I do love males if I have a female for him.
Wow prices are harsh over there, how much does an adult female P. ornata cost?

Vinny2915

Arachnosquire
Wow prices are harsh over there, how much does an adult female P. ornata cost?
For a full 7-8" P.ornata probably $180-$200. Prices are ridiculous, only good thing is if you buy a lot of slings and get a bunch of females. Then you can make some money.