I’m new. Question for desert beetles.

Kennef

Arachnopeon
Hello! My name is Kenneth for NoCal and I am a carnivorous plant guy, and now I guess I am hooked onto keeping insects now because of how easy they are to care for!

So. My setup is a 10 gallon with 2 1/2 inch play sand with some paper roll tube hides and a few fake plastic plants. I read up here I need a heat lamp and eco earth mixed into the sand, is this true? Also my beetles are ‘itching’ their feet, it’s like they are trying to rub something off but there is nothing there(one corner of the tank is moist).

Anyway, I only have 5 beetles in my 10 gallon tank. I have 2 blues(male and female), 1 black smooth Death feigner, 1 E. Obscurros, and 1 wooly. I am getting 5 more blues and 2 more smooths to lighten up the activity.

rantology

Arachnopeon
heat lamp helps to give them night/day cycle temps and will make them a bit more active. Eco earth mixed in is just to give the sand a bit of substance so they can burrow in it (they love to do so).... also just throwing this out there, zoo med sells excavator clay which is super fun to craft them all kinds of hidey holes/ burrows in and it looks pretty good too

The "itching" of their feet is just them keeping their feet clean, they don't like stepping in anything moist and will try to get any moisture or sand that gets stuck on them off.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Welcome to the insect side! I'd say a heat lamp is optional for darkling beetles, but you're welcome to use it if you want.