Genus Hysterocrates

ORION_DV8

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This little guy is one fiery beast, has no regard or care for the size of what it attacks. Really quite amusing to watch it just lie on its back throwing a tantrum merely because the wind brushes by her

Attachments

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi, nice T, how deep is that substrate? do you allow her the opportunity to burrow?

ORION_DV8

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Substrate is at leas 5 inches deep on the shallow side and about 7 on the deep side i believe that should be plenty. I just scared her out for the photo op being that i just aquired her.
ORION

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How big is that H. gigas? It kinda looks to me like a mature male.

-Kelly

ORION_DV8

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I noticed it was a bit leggy too but there are no palpal bulbs or tibial spurs so i dont think it is a male. Again i just acquired it and it spends alot of time burrowed no doubt under previous ownership it was probably a bit stressed.
ORION

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Are you sure about the pedipalps? Could we get a close-up picture of them? Do Hysterocrates species have spurs?

-Kelly

ORION_DV8

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I will get a pic of the palps in a few minutes gotta go bother it out of hiding again, the other thing is that males should have 5" l.s. no? this guy if he is a guy is only around 4" if he is a male then ill just have to find him a female soon and deal with the disapointment but i still have faith.
ORION

ORION_DV8

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Alright stupid me!!! Anyone got a female H. gigas in Canada? :)
BOOO!!!! oh well i guess i can still have my Hysterocrates if i breed this one with someone.
Cheers All
ORION

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
kellygirl said:
Are you sure about the pedipalps? Could we get a close-up picture of them? Do Hysterocrates species have spurs?

-Kelly

Hysterocrates is one of my fav specie.

nope they dont develope tibial spurs.

ORION_DV8

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my male is tiny in comparison can that be right? could i have misid'ed him wierd id like to see some information on the sexual dimorphism of the species anyone know of any good links.
thanks
ORION

Deschain

Arachnolord
Old Timer
kellygirl said:
How big is that H. gigas? It kinda looks to me like a mature male.

-Kelly

Excellent eye Ms.Kelly!

I have a georgeous female that molted last week (although I couldn't find her molt)...she's a dark, velvety black now. I'm looking forward to watching her go through her color changes again. Should have pics soon...she's about 6".

Very cool Old World species.

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you, thank you, please hold your applause. :D

It was mainly a matter of body structure... mature males for many species have a distinct look about them aside from the obvious bulbs and spurs. Your guy also has very long hairs which I don't believe are typical to females of this species. The female pictured is practically bald compared to yours.

Also, mature males are typically smaller than full-grown females. In some species, the difference is huge! I was very surprised by the size at which C. fasciatum and H. lividum males mature--teeny tiny!! It's a little nerve-wracking in the way of breeding but apparently some of the little guys out there are getting the job done. ;)

Best of luck finding a few femmes for your big boy!

-Kelly

ORION_DV8

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just found this pic any thoughts could this actually Hysterocrates crassipes, i cannot find any info on the species shy of a few misplaced images here and there but no actual description of the species as it were.
thanks
ORION

the image
http://giantspiders.com/crassipesmale.jpg

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I guess seeing this thread was enough to get me to clean my girl's enclosure. Heres a couple of pics now that she is finally out of her tunnel, all I ever see is the garbage she puts out after meals lol. She is about 7".

Rev

Deschain

Arachnolord
Old Timer
ORION_DV8 said:
This little guy is one fiery beast, has no regard or care for the size of what it attacks. Really quite amusing to watch it just lie on its back throwing a tantrum merely because the wind brushes by her

I think your subconscience knew it was a male.

"This little guy"

Good luck with getting some females for him. Little people need love too!

Deschain

Arachnolord
Old Timer
kellygirl said:
Thank you, thank you, please hold your applause. :D

-Kelly
I can't help it...I clap when pretty girls do nothing. Nevermind when they are speaking (with alot of knowledge), about something I am passionate about.

So you deserve it! :clap: