Hypoaspis miles

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
are there any cons to adding a few of these apparant god-send mites to a Tarantula or scorpion or mantid tank?

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by chuck
are there any cons to adding a few of these apparant god-send mites to a Tarantula or scorpion or mantid tank?
Cost is the only thing that comes to mind. It will cost you ~$40 to get a portion of them sent to you and unless you keep your tanks consistently moist, they'll die out (of course, in theory, so shouldn't the pest mites, but you know how these things go).

I've been having a bit of a battle with some scavenger mites in a roach bin and a few of my sling containers but have resisted dropping the dough so far because it's a lot of money for no guarantee compared to just trying to dry everything out sufficiently.

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
but even in my bone dry tank, with only a water dish, i find the most mites. now i dont find them every night, but whenever there is food in there i will find them. do you think they are already established in the tank, or do they pop up when the food comes?

how would a T, with mites on her, react? would it constantly pace, or sit like a rock? b/c i found the mites in a OBT tank and i am very reluctant to remove her b/c of the nickname they have earned.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Cheaper Hypoaspis...

I usually order from www.biconet.com , who charges $27.50 (plus shipping) for a portion, but I have catalog for annother company called The Green Spot who sells them cheaper, $16.90 (plus shipping). I have not ordered from them yet, so I can't vouch for their customer service. Here's the URL:

http://www.shopgreenmethods.com/

Wade