1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hybrid Trouble

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by MantisSpider29, Sep 10, 2018.

1. MantisSpider29

MantisSpider29 Arachnopeon Active Member

Advertisement
    Teal, go ahead and share the pictures i sent you. I have trouble getting them to post here as the come from my phone.

2. Teal

Teal Arachnoking Active Member

Sure thing! The first photo is the female, the rest are the MM.
    received_2167287623592257.jpeg received_242341926623891.jpeg received_411941449332979.jpeg received_276470213193415.jpeg received_333569620722998.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoprince Active Member

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. MantisSpider29

No idea. Beinging crazy and stupid. But a mere picture doesnot describe her size. Also how can you tell it is a P.rufilata?

5. Teal

What does her size have to do with anything??

That's four people now who agree it is a MM rufi lol

6. MantisSpider29

I have hands that are about 10 inches in length. She is the size of my hand that is where the whole size thing comes from. But, not to get away from the true discussion.
    I will not destroy the sac if/when she lays it. If it hatches in can offer great information into tarantula hybrids especially with poecilotheria. I can keep them communally and give pics of them as they mature. Who knows what will happen.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  7. KezyGLA

KezyGLA Arachnoking Active Member

That looks like a MM rufilata to me too

8. MetalMan2004

MetalMan2004 Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
  9. mmcg

mmcg Arachnosquire Active Member

London
    *michael jackson popcorn gif*

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Teal

Oh okay, so you're just commenting on her size? I was trying to figure out what it has to do with the pairing lol Ornatas are large pokies!

11. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

Poecilotheria lay big eggsacs, iirc. If you decide to let them live, I would apply natural selection to happen, or you might need to create a LOT of shelf space to keep 150+ Pokies, even if you create communals.
    I wouldn't hatch it. Especially with the strain on Pokies developing since they are banned from selling/importing/exporting. Your little accident is why US wildlife organization doesn't trust hobbyists to breed responsibly.

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. MantisSpider29

Do the males keep the leg pattern underneath once they mature or, does it change?

13. Whitelightning777

Whitelightning777 Arachno-heretic Arachnosupporter

I'd keepa few just to see what the maximum size is. Both of those are considered tied in first place for the biggest arboreal tarantula.

There is such a thing as hybrid vigor whereby the hybrid is larger then either parent. The Liger is the most well known example.

If you do give away or sell them, get a written legal agreement that they will never be bred. Sell them at cost not for profit.

Since P ornata can no longer be sold across state lines, there might be some interest, closest thing you can get to P ornata these days in America. I'm not sure about the other one, but because they don't occur in nature restrictions don't apply.

I doubt they will be feeders for mantids, but vice versa. You could break them up into communals, but will have to separate before they are breeding age.

The main thing is that they not be bred.

14. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

@MantisSpider29
    Are you aware of the ban that came into effect August 30? Unless you know people in your state, you will have zero potential buyers. Give aways maybe, but not a lot, I think.
    So unless you're willing to raise 150+ Pokies, you should, imo, not hatch this sack.

15. MantisSpider29

Guys, I just want to know if the underside of the males legs keeps the pattern as the females. Iam trying my hardest to figure out even if this a hybrid issue. Pictures can only do so much on my phones crap quality. I have had people say p.rufialta on the male others said they dont know. So I will keep working on this until Iam 100% Sure of what happened. This was a lack of record keeping and potential poo brain almost over a year ago. Iam aware of the ban but, I had no funds then. I do now.

16. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnoangel Active Member

Texas
    As far as I know they do. I think the only thing that changes with maturity is the colors, but not the patterning itself. If you need help with the ventral pics send them to me in a PM and I can try to help you out.

17. MantisSpider29

Thank you. That is all I wanted to know. Also if its possible could a mod lock this thread. I got the information I need to do more digging on my own.