Hybrid Scorpions?

Abhorsen

Arachnoknight
I know this topic is being frowned upon, but i kinda love hybrids. . I don't know why, I've never done it before (will not be doing either), but i would love to see your hybrid scorpions. . I know there was a guy who bred P. Transvillosus. If ever it's ok for you to share, please feel free. . Thanks!

Jason Brantley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know this topic is being frowned upon, but i kinda love hybrids. . I don't know why, I've never done it before (will not be doing either), but i would love to see your hybrid scorpions. . I know there was a guy who bred P. Transvillosus. If ever it's ok for you to share, please feel free. . Thanks!
I don't frown upon this at all. This is happening in the wild. If someone(s) decides to start breeding these hybrids and tries to sell them then simply do not buy them :) It would be cool to see a Leiurus species and a Heterometrus species. A seven inch Deathstalker. I would buy it I don't care.

Last edited:

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Interesting topic if your doing this for your own collection and research....... just don't EVER try and sell them.. highly highly frowned upon by "most"

Mila

Arachnoknight
People only frown upon it if you try and sell them. I'll use the example above "OMG my ultra rare deathstalker 7" long $500 pls" and in reality it's a hybrid aka you just got scammed.

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
Hybrids could be the whole reason why there are so many species of scorpions in the 1st place.
I say it you can get 2 different species to breed and produce viable offspring and those offspring can reproduce and make viable offspring also - then what is the big deal ? Lol
Its been happening in the snake hobby for many years and to be honest - after seeing viable offspring from a gaboon/rhino viper hybrid - i went into trying it for myself!!!!
they were some of the most beautiful snakes ive ever seen !
They also sold for nearly 10 times the amount either species sold for and the breeder couldnt keep up with demand of them :)
Some people say it is unethical and could potentially ruin the hobby but if it is truly happening in nature.... then youre just helping create a specie that may have eventually showed up anyways lol
Hmmm maybe ill try a leiurus / uroplectes hybrid to add a little more color to the leiurus genus/ more size to the uroplectes genus .....
How about some little green deathstalkers.... anyone else want some ??? :)

Abhorsen

Arachnoknight
Interesting topic if your doing this for your own collection and research....... just don't EVER try and sell them.. highly highly frowned upon by "most"
This is just for my own research and collection, i just wanted to know if someone successfully breed a hybrid scorpion.

Abhorsen

Arachnoknight
People only frown upon it if you try and sell them. I'll use the example above "OMG my ultra rare deathstalker 7" long $500 pls" and in reality it's a hybrid aka you just got scammed.
7 inch deathstalker might be a little bit scary, imagine rehousing that 7 inch scorpion

RTTB

Arachnoprince
If it occurs in nature and there are known, not theoretical examples, then I say maybe.

TheScorpionMan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hybrids could be the whole reason why there are so many species of scorpions in the 1st place.
I say it you can get 2 different species to breed and produce viable offspring and those offspring can reproduce and make viable offspring also - then what is the big deal ? Lol
Its been happening in the snake hobby for many years and to be honest - after seeing viable offspring from a gaboon/rhino viper hybrid - i went into trying it for myself!!!!
they were some of the most beautiful snakes ive ever seen !
They also sold for nearly 10 times the amount either species sold for and the breeder couldnt keep up with demand of them :)
Some people say it is unethical and could potentially ruin the hobby but if it is truly happening in nature.... then youre just helping create a specie that may have eventually showed up anyways lol
Hmmm maybe ill try a leiurus / uroplectes hybrid to add a little more color to the leiurus genus/ more size to the uroplectes genus .....
How about some little green deathstalkers.... anyone else want some ??? :)
I would like to see some green deathstalkers lol. But I agree if it is happening in the wild anyway why not for personal collection.

Mila

Arachnoknight
The main issue is you get infertile (I think it's males but could be females) which means you constantly have to rebreed with one of the original species which dilutes the hybrid. Hybridising is hard

Abhorsen

Arachnoknight
W
The main issue is you get infertile (I think it's males but could be females) which means you constantly have to rebreed with one of the original species which dilutes the hybrid. Hybridising is hard
What if you have all the males mate to each one of the female, i know it's a long process and time consuming, but it's worth a shot, i think

Abhorsen

Arachnoknight
By the way, just incase you produce a viable offspring, and they can reproduce, would it be considered a new species or still a hybrid?

Mila

Arachnoknight
W

What if you have all the males mate to each one of the female, i know it's a long process and time consuming, but it's worth a shot, i think
thats a very fast way to end up with deformed scorpions from inbreeding

By the way, just incase you produce a viable offspring, and they can reproduce, would it be considered a new species or still a hybrid?
no itll be a hybrid. just the same as how a liger or a zorse isnt a new species theyre just hybrids. evolution and sh*t

Abhorsen

Arachnoknight
How
thats a very fast way to end up with deformed scorpions from inbreeding

no itll be a hybrid. just the same as how a liger or a zorse isnt a new species theyre just hybrids. evolution and sh*t
About breeding 2 of them? And use the offspring of both parent to mate with the other

AusBugKid

Arachnosquire
New to this concept. Have never heard talk of it in Oz. Why is it frowned upon?
As @Scorpionluva said, it happens in the reptile hobby, and produces beautiful results. My concern would be when the comfort of the animal is sacrificed, like in dogs with genetic hip dysplasia just because people want a particular shape... :meh:

Mila

Arachnoknight
The best way to do it avoiding inbreeding is to have as many different breeding groups as possible, about 20 will do, so you need 20 of each gender.
Now follow these rules:
Never change pairings
Never mate descendants
All your f1 males or females (I forget which) will be infertile

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
Not sure if this info is true , or a hunch or just the typical bad info available on the web but it was believed that buthacus species of scorpions were actually a cross between a leiurus specie and an androctonus species. Cant seem to find the article i read that in but nonetheless if it is true then that could possibly prove that hybrids DO actually exist and are capable of producing viable offspring
Cant seem to find any buthacus species available for sale anymore and thats a bummer. I loved those lil egyptian greens :)

Mila

Arachnoknight
Hybrids are absolutely possible. It's how we've got designer cats like the bengal. Cross breeding two different species.
There could be issues with breeding species that are too far apart. If there's too much DNA difference then they won't be able to breed. Same reason you can't breed a domestic cat with a tiger but you can breed tigers and lions. They're all cats there's just such a massive evolutionary gap that it doesn't work