Hybrid Brachypelma?

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not trying to start a hybrid debate. Just want some opinions on if you think my juvenile male Brachypelma vagans could be a hybrid. Just because I'd rather feel more confident of his fate for when he matures. I know there are a lot of hybrid Brachys in the hobby. Taking photos of him the other night, I noticed the hairs on his abdomen are quite... crazy looking. Similar to that of an albopilosom. He likes to run and hide, but I'll try to get some better pictures of him. I am also providing a picture of my mature female Brachypelma vagans for reference. uploadfromtaptalk1428689972434.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1428689983931.jpg

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
That looks like a pretty type-typical vagans to me. They do have long hairs on their abdomen and they're not always stick straight.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
It's suspected that the several black Brachypelma species with red abdomens have hybridized.

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's kind of what I feared. Most any question about tarantulas, the answer will always be kind of "give or take" and vague because in general, there's so little actually known, on top of a lot of species getting more "muddied up" every day. Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll make a decision for him as he ages. Hopefully he'll start to look a little less... sloppy. ha

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not trying to start a hybrid debate. Just want some opinions on if you think my juvenile male Brachypelma vagans could be a hybrid. Just because I'd rather feel more confident of his fate for when he matures. I know there are a lot of hybrid Brachys in the hobby. Taking photos of him the other night, I noticed the hairs on his abdomen are quite... crazy looking. Similar to that of an albopilosom. He likes to run and hide, but I'll try to get some better pictures of him. I am also providing a picture of my mature female Brachypelma vagans for reference. View attachment 135804 View attachment 135805
The hairs of your male vagans should look the same as your female. I have never seen hairs on a vagans looking like yours. I have seen in person hybrid vagans/curly specimen but I don't suspect yours to be a hybrid of a curly hair/vagans. It does not mean it coud be something else either. To me I do question why the hairs look this way on your specimen. Sorry not much help.

Jose

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The hairs of your male vagans should look the same as your female. I have never seen hairs on a vagans looking like yours. I have seen in person hybrid vagans/curly specimen but I don't suspect yours to be a hybrid of a curly hair/vagans. It does not mean it coud be something else either. To me I do question why the hairs look this way on your specimen. Sorry not much help.

Jose
It's all good. I don't think I was really expecting a clear answer. More or less hoping someone knew a little more than me to give me confidence about wanting to breed him in the future. We'll see how his next molt turns out. Maybe he's just going through a weird phase... My MF Brachypelma boehmei looks different every single time she molts. So... who knows. For giggles, I managed to get another shot of him tonight. uploadfromtaptalk1428968793631.jpg

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It could be an hybrid or it could be a brachypelma either vagans, sabulosum, angustum all these have red abdomens and are available in the hobby. There is also a wild card thats not even a brachypelma but as others have said id from a picture is difficult. The other tarantula is a Sericopelma rubronitens I don't know if they are available in the USA but they are black with a red abdomen also. Other members have stated it could be an hybrid or a brachypelma maybe the reason we can't decide is because it's not either but I could be way off

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's all good. I don't think I was really expecting a clear answer. More or less hoping someone knew a little more than me to give me confidence about wanting to breed him in the future. We'll see how his next molt turns out. Maybe he's just going through a weird phase... My MF Brachypelma boehmei looks different every single time she molts. So... who knows. For giggles, I managed to get another shot of him tonight. View attachment 135869
Yeah the hairs are a little different for a vagans. Maybe the male is having a bad hair week.
You should post a photo of your AF boehmei, maybe is one of those many hybrids that are out there in different sizes. If you do post a photo take a shot of her from top view and the front legs of the metatarsus.

Jose

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah the hairs are a little different for a vagans. Maybe the male is having a bad hair week.
You should post a photo of your AF boehmei, maybe is one of those many hybrids that are out there in different sizes. If you do post a photo take a shot of her from top view and the front legs of the metatarsus.

Jose
I've definitely considered that about my boehmei. I'll see if I can gather some pictures of her from now and previous molts.

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'll be looking forward your photos.

Jose
As it being a quick search, I gathered all I could find. I've had her for several years. She's molted about 3 times with me, if I'm not mistaken. I'll start from oldest. I could be crazy or its just natural changes she's going through. But she just seems significantly different to me each time. The double picture and the picture of her exuvium are to show she's molted. Lol uploadfromtaptalk1428978650598.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1428978660800.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1428978673015.jpg

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I apologize that the flash definitely messes with some of the pictures. Maybe I just got her at a strange point? But I also kind of think she's too big to change as much as she does per molt. However, she is the only boehmei I've owned. I also realize it's impossible to know if she's a hybrid. She's beautiful. But even on instagram I have people occasionally point out that they don't think she's a boehmei. It happens enough that I sometimes really question it.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I apologize that the flash definitely messes with some of the pictures. Maybe I just got her at a strange point? But I also kind of think she's too big to change as much as she does per molt. However, she is the only boehmei I've owned. I also realize it's impossible to know if she's a hybrid. She's beautiful. But even on instagram I have people occasionally point out that they don't think she's a boehmei. It happens enough that I sometimes really question it.
What size is she?

J

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Found another recent molt top view. Still not a wonderful picture. But it's what I've got atm. uploadfromtaptalk1428979927546.jpg

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Found another recent molt top view. Still not a wonderful picture. But it's what I've got atm. View attachment 135885
It has the looks of a boehmei/baumgarteni without the flash lightning pattern on the metatarsus. The reason I say this because towards the end of 2013 I came across a spider that was sold to me as a boehmei, I purchased this male to compare with the other 30+ hybrids that I had. This male was the only one out of the rest of them that had the fiery red legs and the fiery red markings on the patella just like yours. And just like your specimen it had the black carapace the same as a baumgarteni. So I'm leaning towards hybrid with your specimen. Through the years that I have owned many boehmei I honestly have to say hybrid on yours. This is my best opinion.

It's funny that you say that your spider has gone thru some changes cause one of my other hybrids that I had went through some changes. When I purchased one of the males it had the black carapace like a baumgarteni and when the male molted the black carapace disappeared. Once again it molted under my care and all of the sudden the black carapace re appeared. This male went through some changes. It was like this male did not know what species it wanted to be. It was weird.
I actually told Joe Rossi about it a year ago.

Jose

Last edited:

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It has the looks of a boehmei/baumgarteni without the flash lightning pattern on the metatarsus. The reason I say this because towards the end of 2013 I came across a spider that was sold to me as a boehmei, I purchased this male to compare with the other 30+ hybrids that I had. This male was the only one out of the rest of them that had the fiery red legs and the fiery red markings on the patella just like yours. And just like your specimen it had the black carapace the same as a baumgarteni. So I'm leaning towards hybrid with you specimen. Through the years that I have owned many boehmei I honestly have to say hybrid on yours. This is my best opinion.

It's funny that you say that your spider has gone thru some changes cause one of my other hybrids that I had went through some changes. When I purchased this male it had the black carapace like a baumgarteni and when this male molted the black carapace disappeared. Once again it molted under my care and all of the sudden the black carapace re appeared. This male went through some changes. It was like this male did not know what species it wanted to be. It was weird.
I actually told Joe Rossi about it a year ago.

Jose
That's actually extremely fascinating. I'm glad my boehmei got brought into this discussion. I've wondered about her for a while. This is the best information I'm going to be able to have on this, or even anything comparable to my female, probably for years to come or until more information gets figured out. Thank you so much for telling me all of that. I appreciate it a lot.