Huntsman Spiders

lizardminion

Arachnolord
Does anyone keep huntsman spiders? (I'm sure someone does) How easy is it to keep these spiders? What is the largest species?
Feel free to post some pics! :)
Oh yeah, and what's a great source to buy these magnificent spiders?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I can't quite remember but I think the largest sps is from the East somewhere, not so much a recent discovery but more of a focus on how big that spider can get. Just google "largest spider". There is a vid somewhere of cavers searching for it.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Does anyone keep huntsman spiders? (I'm sure someone does) How easy is it to keep these spiders? What is the largest species?
Feel free to post some pics! :)
Oh yeah, and what's a great source to buy these magnificent spiders?
Heteropoda maxima in Laos is the largest. This spider has the largest leg span of any spider known to science.

They have been recorded with well over 13 inch legspans, averaging a foot!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/toddgearheart/4017222119/

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Those would be truly awesome. I have been wanting some of these. Why the heck have they not made it in the US hobby?
Not easy to get spiders out of that area, nor is it easy to find this particular one as it is a cave dwelling species.

Laos also has massive environmental issues, and well, I doubt they let you take home much wild life.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Aaah i see. Isnt there a african species that gets to 12" legspans, and is more common?
Not easy to get spiders out of that area, nor is it easy to find this particular one as it is a cave dwelling species.

Laos also has massive environmental issues, and well, I doubt they let you take home much wild life.

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I had a Heteropoda davidbowie. I think it's the fastest spider I've ever owned! It managed to escape from its cage during maintenance, in a blink of an eye, and I didn't find it again for 5 days. That's the only time I've had a spider really escape from me. :o_O:

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have 3 Thelcticopis modesta. Hoping that any of the females out of them get large enough for the males to pair with. Gonna be impossible to find mms for them. And yeah they are fast. One popped out while feeding, and ran around the vial three times before i realized it.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
H Venatoria. These kids range over a huge area. I'd suspect several acres. This one, 6 to 7 inch leg span, is about as big as the Venatoria gets.

The Snark

Old Timer
Huntslings! I like that! Yeah. She just popped, posing for me. Egg sack still under her.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Haha thanks. It just came to me. Thats very cool. I would like to get some of the 12"ers, but i figure my orange are gonna be hard enough to keep alive. Is this one of your spiders, or just a random wild one?

The Snark

Old Timer
Haha thanks. It just came to me. Thats very cool. I would like to get some of the 12"ers, but i figure my orange are gonna be hard enough to keep alive. Is this one of your spiders, or just a random wild one?
I don't keep any critters. We leave the light on in the carport all night (after wifey almost got tagged by a Russells) and it fills with insects. In turn the ground of the carport is crawler heaven while the tokays battle it out on the walls. When the termites are swarming it turns into a 12 ring circus out there. The pictured charming lass decided to come in there to let her kids out. Maybe some instinct to turn them loose in a prey rich environment. One memorable evening I had two chunky lycosids squaring off on the roof of the jeep contesting who owned it, I guess.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
I don't keep any critters. We leave the light on in the carport all night (after wifey almost got tagged by a Russells) and it fills with insects. In turn the ground of the carport is crawler heaven while the tokays battle it out on the walls. When the termites are swarming it turns into a 12 ring circus out there. The pictured charming lass decided to come in there to let her kids out. Maybe some instinct to turn them loose in a prey rich environment. One memorable evening I had two chunky lycosids squaring off on the roof of the jeep contesting who owned it, I guess.
And..... I am jealous :(

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Man it must be awesome to live somewhere with no winter, and a vast amount of critters. I love hearing about your encounters.

calum

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just bought a Heteropoda venatoria to get me back into the hobby.. fascinating wee thing, so, so fast. Also surprisingly agressive, when i tried to move it from the delivery tub into the setup it attacked the forecepts, I would've expected it to just leg it. I think this species is pretty much bulletproof when it comes to keeping conditions, it's a really widespread sub/tropical species

The Snark

Old Timer
I just bought a Heteropoda venatoria to get me back into the hobby.. fascinating wee thing, so, so fast. Also surprisingly agressive, when i tried to move it from the delivery tub into the setup it attacked the forecepts, I would've expected it to just leg it. I think this species is pretty much bulletproof when it comes to keeping conditions, it's a really widespread sub/tropical species
I've noticed these definitely have a limit switch. They will make every effort to run and hide but push them one tiny bit too far and she will go to guns. I've seen them go right past threat pose into chomp mode. I end up feeling bad that I somehow forced her to attack when all I ever want is to protect them.

ctenid

Arachnopeon
Supposedly the Giant Huntsman Spider of Laos, possibly called Heteropoda maxima? has a leg span of one foot. This was reported on an internet site called Countries to Avoid if You Hate Spiders, so I don't know if its valid or not. If its verified, than this would certainly be the mother of all Huntsman spiders!

Attachments

Last edited: