1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Huntsman slings feeding issues.

Discussion in 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' started by Rhino1, May 12, 2019.

1. Rhino1

Rhino1 Arachnoknight Active Member

Advertisement
    I have recently bought some lichen huntsman slings, these are the general outline of issues I'm having- so standard housing isn't working out as I believe the freshly hatched pinheads may be walking up the sides of tub and escaping out of 1.5mm air holes, I have .5mm drill bits if I need to make new enclosures.
    I'm just assuming the crickets are escaping as I still haven't witnessed the slings eating and there is no noticeable difference in abdomen size and the crickets seem to disappear so imagine they are escaping.
    My idea is to re house with no side ventilation and maybe use a stiff plain coloured plastic for them to use as a vertical area and possibly no sub with a small water dish for humidity, I was also thinking of trying fruit flies as a more suitable feeder, for a spider that lives and hunts on vertical surfaces. I just hate the thought of them wasting away in plain view.
    On the other hand they may be eating just fine but I haven't seen any evidence of this.
    I had the most vivid coloured specimens picked out for me and the whole exercise was not cheap

2. Rhino1

Oh they are pandercetes gracilis btw and are tiny and super fast and there's a big possibility of losing them during a rehouse

3. wetwork

wetwork Arachnosquire Arachnosupporter

CA
    How small are they? I use 13 dram plastic vials for huntsman slings with a few holes punched through the cap with a pushpin. I feed fruit flies 2-3x a week until they're large enough to handle pinheads and small crickets.

4. Rhino1

Hmm they are very small what would be the rough dimensions of a 13 dram vial, do you put some substrate in there too?

5. wetwork

wetwork Arachnosquire Arachnosupporter

CA
    I put a small layer moist to keep it humid. Dimensions are roughly 3" high and 1.25" diameter.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Well I tried putting a 1?cm meal worm in with a 1/6inch Stoney Huntsman.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rhino1

Well maybe I was worried about nothing, I watched one eat quite a sizeable feeder the other night and in the morning the abdomen still looked relatively the same, I guess it's the nature of this species being so flat looking.

Just go full metric.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Yeah I should.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. All I know is the worm is three times the size of the spider. I have to wait to see if the towel trick helps it feed.

10. Scratch that. The thing is 5x the size of the h. Javana

11. Rhino1

Man that's a tiny huntsman sling

12. You can just cover the ventilation with some fabric, the crickets wouldn’t be able to escape with that. It’d probably also be worth using the thinnest possible object that’s long and thin to prod the pinheads towards the huntsman to try and speed up the process. Might also be worth a shot using fungus gnats or something similar, if you’ve got a few enclosures with moist substrate already you’ll probably have no issue finding some

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rhino1

Yeah that's a good idea on the stocking @Dennis Nedry, I've caught them both feeding now but its when I get up in the middle of the night on the way to the bathroom.
    I don't notice any real difference in the abdomen afterwards though.