1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Huntsman (Heteropoda) in Southern California?

Discussion in 'Field Trips (Natural Habitats)' started by sloth, May 21, 2019.

1. sloth

sloth Arachnoknight Active Member

Advertisement
    Are there Huntsman in southern Ca? If so what habitat do they prefer and please feel free to pm me a general location/area where you found them. Thanks to everyone in advance

2. sloth

I’m looking to collect 1 or 2 but no more than that. Mainly just to observe their behaviors in comparison to Tarantulas and jumping spiders

3. wetwork

wetwork Arachnosquire Arachnosupporter

USA
    You'll likely only find Olios spp. in Southern California (I believe the other sparassid is Macrinus mohavensis but it's rarely seen). Check out iNaturalist.org and search for Olios/Sparassidae on the map. Should give you a good place to start looking.

4. chanda

chanda Arachnoprince Active Member

5. sloth

I’ll have to check out iNaturalist. Thanks for the help!!!
    I’ll have to look into Olive and Curicaberis sp. Have you found any? Thanks for the help

6. chanda

chanda Arachnoprince Active Member

Yes, I've found them out in the Palm Springs/Joshua Tree area. They're more likely to be out in the open early in the morning, around dusk, and at night. I've actually had good luck spotting them under picnic shelters and similar semi-protected spots, up high near or on the ceiling.

7. squidkid

squidkid Arachnoknight Active Member

the males are rampaging where i live. here is one i caught the other night.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1