Humidity in my emps tank discussion :)

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sounds like the moisture is more in the soil rather than being in the air like you get with restricted ventilation.

Fergrim

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yes, and it's like that the whole time I have that blasted lamp on.. and seriously.. just about the whole screen is covered in tin foil except for where the lamp goes..

Very frustrating.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
I wouldn't worry so much about the humidty in the air if your substrate is as moist as you describe...the humidity thing is too overrated anyhow.

John
];')

alex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I cheked my humidistat in the bathroom while showering. I couldn't see anything for all the steam. The humidstat showed 70%.
I wouldn't trust it to much.

PIter

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My tank goes from 50% during day-time and goes way up after i turn the light off aroud 85%. As my lid only has two small holes in it I find that rather odd.

eksong

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, I switched containers for my emps today so I dug them out. They seem to be doing well. 2 of them are enormously fat; since they never appeared above ground while I was awake, I had not known their progress. The other one molted and looks very healthy. I hope I didn't stress it out too much during transport =/

I guess misting isn't entirely necessary so long as at least a good portion of the tank (eg underground) remains a consistently high humidity.

Zach33

Arachnopeon
I was told to put a layer of gravel in the tank with a tube, then the substrate. You then put water down the tube and let the humidity rise through the substrate. What does everyone think about this? To much work? Or should I just mist it?

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
PIter said:
My tank goes from 50% during day-time and goes way up after i turn the light off aroud 85%. As my lid only has two small holes in it I find that rather odd.
The reason IS the light, anytime there is a bright warm light shining on a hygrometer the readings will say it's drier than it really is. I have a square 3 x 3 inch piece of corkboard blocking the light from reaching mine.

Fergrim

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
neat! Okay, so I won't trust it as long as I have a lamp. Carpe, you're awesome.

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As long as you place it somewhere away from the light, like halfway down the enclosure, and not next to a heat source it, should give fairly good readings.

Fergrim

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well I restricted more ventilation.. and now with the light on.. the humidistat will drop as low as 62% or so (which I can handle) and then amazingly raised back up to 70 or so without me changing anything... and with the light off, it zooms right back up to 80. Hehe..

So that's good enough for me.. for now, until I have a heat pad.. problem solved. :)

PIter

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
carpe scorpio said:
The reason IS the light, anytime there is a bright warm light shining on a hygrometer the readings will say it's drier than it really is. I have a square 3 x 3 inch piece of corkboard blocking the light from reaching mine.
What don't you know?

Tallyho
PI

Milo

Arachnopeon
do you use the false bottom technique? im using that and its working wonders. if youre unsure of what im talking about let me know, but you probably do. my humidity is always about 80, but im not doing so hot with my temp. (yes, pun :D) it like 72-77F across the tank.

and yes, it will be more humid the further down the burrow, the soil clearly retains moisture, so they should be fine. i heard the whole reason they burrow as much as they do is to seek an equilibrium of temp (distance from heat source) and humidity (distance from surface) that suits them best.

also keep in mind that scorps are pretty resilient. on here people seem to think emps demand these conditions, but i know a woman who's had a 7" male who lives in a critter keeper, misted once per day in her 68F basement appartment and hes fine. shes had him for 8 years in those conditions. so dont be so hard on yourself! (on your wallet)

Milo

Arachnopeon
...whoops

whoa sorry... didnt notice these other pages... i was responding to the end of the first page alone :S

disregard my post.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a critter keeper with the screen top and quickly learned how hard it was with a screen top to keep humidity up, but i found a very effective way of remedying this! I took a larg ziploc bag and cut it so that it fit perfectly where i wanted it on the top of the screen, then i taped it down, then i took a piece of cardboard that the tank came wrapped in, and cut it so it would perfectly fit over the plastic bag on top of the screen. I then taped it to it and i kept a little open slot so if i wanted to put a light on there it would filter through. It works absolutely perfectly, and it didnt cost me any money ;). Also it allows just the right amount of light in, and the cardboard is an excellent insulator!
Sincerely,
Nate