Humidity help!

Jubba408

Arachnopeon
I recently got an asian forest scorpion, im using an undertank heating pad for heating. The substrate is a mix of eco earth coconut fiber and that eco stuff with sand peat moss and so on mixed in. It's about 50/50. I have moss covering about a solid quarter of the tank. Now the humidity is at about 60, and my dad is honestly tripping about misting the cage "theres no where for the water to go" and saying it'll cause mold. So essentially I cannot mist the cage more than once, lightly, every couple days without getting an earfull about mold. The temp stays a solid 80 degrees, day and night. Please help.

cold blood

Staff member
Just keep the sub damp, when it dries, re-dampen...you are over complicating things.

Ive never misted any of my AFS....Theyre not amphibians...lol:p

NYAN

Arachnoking
I don’t think a heating pad isn’t necessary with this species, especially with you living in california. I hope you didn’t fall for petstore advice. If it’s under the container, you risk cooking your scorpion. They dig down to avoid heat, regardless of where it’s originating from. Don’t constantly mist it either. Dump water directly into the substrate when it becomes dry.

Jubba408

Arachnopeon
I don’t think a heating pad isn’t necessary with this species, especially with you living in california. I hope you didn’t fall for petstore advice. If it’s under the container, you risk cooking your scorpion. They dig down to avoid heat, regardless of where it’s originating from. Don’t constantly mist it either. Dump water directly into the substrate when it becomes dry.
Also, the heating pad is quite a low temp and not directly on the tank, it sits a bit under it. It's just getting rather cold for cali standards currently. Plan to remove it once it begins to get warm again. Ty for the help.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
AFS can be kept without a heat pad if the temps is around 68 or more. They need moist substrate not damp. They are also hardy if the substrate dries out. Heck, one time my substrate almost dried out completely to the point where the substrate was dry enough for a desert species (LOL). But I wouldn't let the substrate dry out completely.

Jubba408

Arachnopeon
AFS can be kept without a heat pad if the temps is around 68 or more. They need moist substrate not damp. They are also hardy if the substrate dries out. Heck, one time my substrate almost dried out completely to the point where the substrate was dry enough for a desert species (LOL). But I wouldn't let the substrate dry out completely.
The heating pad is going to likely have to stay for the next few months as it does get quite cold in my house at night. I'm going to start unplugging it during the day. Ty for the help

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
68 is on the cold side for this particular species.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I know that 68 is on the cold side and didn't mean to word it that way (sorry people took it the wrong way). I keep mine in a small room that is always around 75-82. But one winter storm last year, put us out for almost 2 days. Dropping the temps below 70. I now have a small portable heater just in case ever since. But somehow, they managed through surprisingly those two days. No signs of stress, which was odd to me.