huge mod sac

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
WOW! Major congratulations to you, Gala. This is awesome. I hope you're able to raise the slings successfully. Good luck :)

If you do, maybe it will prevent over-collection from the wild. :)

This is so cool!

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
That's one big sack. :)
Is that a temporary container or are you keeping her in cup that small?

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thats just a golf ball she's trying to put up on a Tee for Tiger Woods{D

PIG-

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I am so glad to see someone is successfully breeding this species. If you decide to sell any, I want to be at the top of the list.

I know this species is from a very dry area, but won't the egg sack dry out pretty quick if you keep her like that? Best of luck.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Judging by the size of that sac... its a bit bigger than a golf ball! Very cool! Congrats bro! Maybe if i am successful with this Aphonopelma sp. "New River" pair i have we can swap some slings :).

Cheers

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was told and have read that there was not much breeding of these going on so I put a little effort into to getting some babies out there. There may be enough for everybody if it goes well, hehe. I'm committed to at least submitting a short article even though my Aphonopelma breeding experience has been short, so I don't feel right commenting on method yet. If the person decides he doesn't want to use it as an article after all, I'll post what I saw/did asap. Maybe I lucked out:? but she did make a sac so maybe I stumbled on a simple idea that helps when it comes to getting mod slings. But I can't count my slings before they hatch:) .

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow! That is a huge sac. I really hope its successful. Are you planning on releasing the slings, or will they be for the hobby? Id really love to see these make it into the hobby as CBs, might help reduce the amount collected from the wild. It makes me sick to see areas that have been totally raped, not a spider left.

Anyway, congrats! I cant wait to read the article.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
very nice result!also wondering why shes in that little deli tho :?

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nice eggsac, looks full! Did she molt after you caught her? or just produced the eggsac?

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice eggsac, looks full! Did she molt after you caught her? or just produced the eggsac?
agree, she looks pretty fresh
also :? why she is in such small deli contaner
look like she been caught with a sac :confused:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Son of a diddly Sky, is it that bad on the side of the road in some places? I've never walked along the side of the road to look for RGGs so I've never seen the damage I've heard about. This is the beauty of private property! There are 1000's and 1000's of acres of safe RGGs on private prop. We tend to think they are only were we see them. But I don't have private prop out there so it's a bummer that the side of the road is being trashed cuz I'm limited to the side of the road too when I decide to look for stuff out there. I found a female and a male by accident. While looking for snakes, pedes and vinegaroons and anything else, I found the female crossing the road at night a couple of years ago and I saw an immature male on the side of the road in a pile of dirt a year after that while looking for some flat rocks to take back, I saw it's front legs. I'm mostly motivated to look for stuff that is unique to me at this point, not stuff I already have. Yeah, the slings would def be for the hobby. I'm thinking I should limit each sale to 3 to avoid a bunch of retailing(?). I don't know, it may not do a whole lot of good. To me, young stuff is best because it lasts longer and you can watch it grow. Nobody should be concerned about the "deli" thing, there's a comfy explanation but I'm putting it in an article. She has molted twice since I found her. She was pretty small when I found her but after 2 molts .....:}. I've got sac spinning pics ..everything but I just can't post that stuff right now.

And yes she is somewhat freshly molted, I'd say sometime in April. But I don't really know since she was underground. When she finally showed herself, she looked like one hot diddly! She still looks good, I'm guessing from low stress. Also, this is a more colorful variety compared to the washed out variety in s. tx.

to Vanisher: Yes. I have breeding pics, sac spinning/construction pics, penultimate male molting pics and an explanation for everybody's questions. But if it's going towards a future article, I shouldn't say some things here. I appreciate hearing what people are wondering about, it gives me a better idea about knowing what people would want to know. ..didn't see a point in bumping this up for that so I just used the edit op.

Last edited:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
But have you mated her after the moult? And i too wonder why she is in such small enclosure. You are from Texas so you should know better than me, but isn´t it a little to dry for the sac? /Johan

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Son of a diddly Sky, is it that bad on the side of the road in some places? I've never walked along the side of the road to look for RGGs so I've never seen the damage I've heard about. This is the beauty of private property! There are 1000's and 1000's of acres of safe RGGs on private prop. We tend to think they are only were we see them. But I don't have private prop out there so it's a bummer that the side of the road is being trashed cuz I'm limited to the side of the road too when I decide to look for stuff out there. I found a female and a male by accident. While looking for snakes, pedes and vinegaroons and anything else, I found the female crossing the road at night a couple of years ago and I saw an immature male on the side of the road in a pile of dirt a year after that while looking for some flat rocks to take back, I saw it's front legs. I'm mostly motivated to look for stuff that is unique to me at this point, not stuff I already have. Yeah, the slings would def be for the hobby. I'm thinking I should limit each sale to 3 to avoid a bunch of retailing(?). I don't know, it may not do a whole lot of good. To me, young stuff is best because it lasts longer and you can watch it grow. Nobody should be concerned about the "deli" thing, there's a comfy explanation but I'm putting it in an article. She has molted twice since I found her. She was pretty small when I found her but after 2 molts .....:}. I've got sac spinning pics ..everything but I just can't post that stuff right now.

And yes she is somewhat freshly molted, I'd say sometime in April. But I don't really know since she was underground. When she finally showed herself, she looked like one hot diddly! She still looks good, I'm guessing from low stress. Also, this is a more colorful variety compared to the washed out variety in s. tx.
I doubt that the wild population is in any kind of trouble, I havent seen that many w/c adults for sale. But where they can be found on public property, they are collected heavily. I just found out that my spot was stripped shortly after my last visit, but I dont know by who.

I was worried you would say you were going to release the slings, as I really dont think its necessary to the wild pop. But the hobby certainly needs them. Def let me know if/when they hatch, and put me down for two or three. I really cant wait to see more pics!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Right after your last visit? Oh man that sounds suspicious, sounds like a leak somewhere. Kind of makes sense to me that selfish people that do that are the ones that don't live in the area. They don't care since they don't live there, they just take what they want and don't care how they leave things. It sounds like somebody you know slipped up but there's no way to really know. OK I'll let you know when they hatch, I'm confident they will. I did it for the challenge of it and to get them out there in the hobby, I don't care about making $s with this stuff. I use to give stuff out for free but realized people where just selling stuff I gave away, Ha! But that's normal.

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Right after your last visit? Oh man that sounds suspicious, sounds like a leak somewhere. Kind of makes sense to me that selfish people that do that are the ones that don't live in the area. They don't care since they don't live there, they just take what they want and don't care how they leave things. It sounds like somebody you know slipped up but there's no way to really know. OK I'll let you know when they hatch, I'm confident they will. I did it for the challenge of it and to get them out there in the hobby, I don't care about making $s with this stuff. I use to give stuff out for free but realized people where just selling stuff I gave away, Ha! But that's normal.
Jared and I went before the TITTIES trip, and I noticed that there were too many empty burrows. So someone had already been before I took people there. My thinking is that it was by a commercial collector who would know where to look. If they start showing up on lists we will know, I guess.