How's my Sling Enclosures?

Potatatas

Arachnoknight
Just setup my 3 sling enclosures. They should be arriving next week but couldn't wait to start their enclosures.

First one is for a Lasiodoro Parahybana (trying to use the full scientific names to engrain them in my head). Lots of coco fibre to burrow, cork bark hide buried with a starter burrow, couple fake plants in the corners, and a bunch of sphagnum moss. Tried to make different moisture levels through the sub by adding layers of slightly dryer sub on top of each other. The plants are buried to the bottom of the enclosure so I can pour water on them to moisten from the bottom up. Just need to add water dish and finally the actual spider and it's all done!
20181003_180919.jpg 20181003_180925.jpg

Next is the Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens enclosure. Same as the above except it has a little less sub and an extra plant for webbing.
20181003_180959.jpg 20181003_181004.jpg

And finally the Poecilotheria Regalis. I think this enclosure might be a tad small so might end up changing again if I find something more suitable. I already swapped the first tub I bought with the tub that was holding cricket food. Again, this is on coco fibre but moist all the way through this time. Vertical cork bark with plant glued to it and piled up sphagnum moss. Can't fit a water dish in this one so I'm going to either wet the moss or the plant.
20181003_181048.jpg 20181003_181128.jpg

And that's it! I really like putting together enclosures. Makes me want to redo my B. Albo's now I have more decorations. Anyway let me know if I screwed up anything major or any tips you guys might have for a first time sling owner. Feel free to share your spider setups too!

Cheers

tewebag

Arachnoknight
With the Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens, I do suggest a bit less sub unless you want it to web the lid. With thing at that level it will use the lid to make its tunnel hide.

What size are the slings? Enclosures might be a bit big for starting ones for them.

Potatatas

Arachnoknight
Thanks for the advice gunna scoop out a little more. The C. Cyan & P. Regalis are 2.5cm, LP is 1.5cm. I was thinking they might be a little big and do have smaller tubs ready to go if that is the case

tewebag

Arachnoknight
Thanks for the advice gunna scoop out a little more. The C. Cyan & P. Regalis are 2.5cm, LP is 1.5cm. I was thinking they might be a little big and do have smaller tubs ready to go if that is the case
Probably way to large for the lp for sure in large enclosures they tend to burrow and stay underground.
From the looks of your container, it looks similar to what I keep my gbb in (about double the size of yours) and it is a large enclosure for it still at that size.
20181002_233448.jpg

Potatatas

Arachnoknight
Probably way to large for the lp for sure in large enclosures they tend to burrow and stay underground.
From the looks of your container, it looks similar to what I keep my gbb in (about double the size of yours) and it is a large enclosure for it still at that size.
View attachment 288401
I'm expecting the LP to burrow and not been seen for a while when I first get it. As long as I can tell they are eating I'll be happy. But if when I get them they do look lost in these I'll transfer to the smaller tubs. Might set them up any just because I like doing it :)

tewebag

Arachnoknight
expecting the LP to burrow and not been seen for a while
You can actually avoid that by using something small enough that the sling adapts the entire enclosure as it's "burrow". That also encourages them to grow faster and be more visible.

Not sure on your options in the UK but here I can go into a store and either find the containers sauce come in at some restaurants or containers used to store left over food at home. I have had good success with both of those.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I recently got a parahybana sling a few weeks ago. Mine stays burrowed all the time at the moment, but I used a seasoning bottle like your regalis is in. Since it is taller, I made a starting burrow along the side. Now, I can always see it even in its burrow. Those tubs will probably be fine though ;) Just may not see it as much.

bulbophyllum

Arachnosquire
Similar to you I started out with with a C versicolor, C. cyaneopubescens, and a P. regalus. All slings. The regalus was 1" Same size as yours. I put her into a 4x4x8" enclosure. She did fine. They know when food is out there and hunt it down. I think this was a good size enclosure. She is now about 3.5 or 4", about ready for her adult enclosure. I think I could just put her current set up in the adult enclosure and open the lid and let her move in. Easy transfer. They are freaky fast spiders. She hid a lot until she was about 2.5" She is out quite a bit now. I put a piece of cardboard against the outside of the enclosure where her retreat was to block out as much light as I could. Fun tarantula to keep. If yours is like mine expect some dramatic feedings as a small sling. Leaps across the enclosure to take down an insect as big as she was and take it to the ground.

Potatatas

Arachnoknight
Made a few changes to the terrestrial enclosures and made up the 2 smaller tubs. In the pic below top left is GBB with extra cork bark and less sub, top right LP same as it was before, bottom left is GBB in case it needs slightly smaller enclosure, and bottom right is LPs smaller enclosure. Honestly, I just love setting these up! I now have 5 empty enclosures with only 3 Ts on their way...

Attachments

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I'd never thought I'd say this, but I think there's still too much substrate. ;)

The bottom right one for the LP has basically no headroom at all. I mean it will work, but if your sling decides to bolt there's pretty much no obstacle to prevent it from getting out of the enclosure. ;)

And the ones for your GBB will be webbed up at the top in no time. ;) They like to climb a bit and extend their webbing to the roof. I give my GBB what it wants in a secure way (at least I like to think so ;)), meaning I divide the lid and have some higher decoration where the lid is still closed when I open up the enclosure.
20181005_061741.jpg
So there, in the back, she can web the hell out of it, because I won't disturb her webbing and also, she can't bolt out of the enclosure if startled. It also worked great with her former enclosure (a Ferrero Rocher box):
20180609_065133.jpg On top of the world2.jpg

I also provide a leaning cork bark as a hide rather than a buried one for this species. She always immediately adopted that cork bark as her hiding spot and expanded her webbing from there. IME this species is not really known for burrowing, it's all webbing with this one. ;)

Potatatas

Arachnoknight
One more try and i'll get it right! The lid for the GBB enclosure has a hinged lid so dont have to remove it completely. Never thought of a ferrero rocher box but they would be perfect! how easy is it to burn holes in?

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by a moderator:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Never thought of a ferrero rocher box but they would be perfect! how easy is it to burn holes in?
They work also great for arboreal slings when placed upright. ;)
And I drilled the holes into it. No idea if a soldering iron would work with it. :confused:

Potatatas

Arachnoknight
Okay, here is the FINAL versions of their enlcosures! Scooped out a bit more of the LP's sub in both enclosures. Think the balance of sub to head room is a bit better now.
Also less sub for GBB and leaning cork bark.

LP
20181005_210510.jpg 20181005_210450.jpg

GBB
20181005_210614.jpg 20181005_210626.jpg

Just picked up a bunch of tubs too... I was warned I'd be looking for plastic tubs all the time and now I have a stockpile of them!

Thekla

Arachnoprince
They look much better. :) I am assuming there'll be water dishes as well, right?

Your substrate for the GBB looks a bit moist... that's no problem if the sling is still under ~ 1,5", but when it gets bigger I'd let it completely dry out.

Potatatas

Arachnoknight
They look much better. :) I am assuming there'll be water dishes as well, right?

Your substrate for the GBB looks a bit moist... that's no problem if the sling is still under ~ 1,5", but when it gets bigger I'd let it completely dry out.
Awesome :) Yeah there will be waterdishes. Might not be able to get one in the regalis enclosure though.

Re wet all substrate as it had dried out a lot. Should be a bit better by the time they arrive end of this week