How to use English walnut substrate?

VaejovisCarolineanusSDS

Arachnoknight
I don't know where to post this btw. I have heard that English walnut substrate is toxic and shouldn't be used for animals. How toxic is it? And also anyone have any ideas on how I can use it so the bag I bought a while beck before I knew this doesn't go to waste. I bought it orihorigin for my vaejovis confusus but I learned before getting the scorpion but after buying it that it is toxic. Someone suggested that I make a terrarium using fake cacti and stuff and I'll probably do that but I still have a lot that idk what to do with and I don't want to waste it. So I need some ideas.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Well MSDS lists Juglone as Health Hazard 1. May cause intestinal irritation (in humans). The stuff is a pretty powerful herbicide though. It would be your call. Maybe somebody has first hand experience with the stuff.

More. It has been used in several traditional remedies, but I would assume it's been cooked. So if you are determined to use it, be on the safe side and boil or steam for a few minutes.

Last edited:

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Honestly, I probably wouldn't use it with plants or animals. Maybe that's overly cautious, but you don't want to hurt or kill anything. It would probably be good to grow oyster or shiitake mushrooms on, if you have any interest.