How to tell female juv widows from males?

Shelob

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello all I have been wondering about this for a while but haven't found an answer on the web. A female juv widow is not black, but has yellows and such on them, and I believe, although I could be wrong here, that their hourglass is not totally red. This is similar to males though, and since the juv widows are dangerous to people and the males aren't could someone clarify for me the difference aside from the longer legs of males? Thanks a lot and while we are on the subject are males not dangerous to people because they don't bite or is their venom not toxic at all? Thanks.

El Johano

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Shelob said:
Hello all I have been wondering about this for a while but haven't found an answer on the web. A female juv widow is not black, but has yellows and such on them, and I believe, although I could be wrong here, that their hourglass is not totally red. This is similar to males though, and since the juv widows are dangerous to people and the males aren't could someone clarify for me the difference aside from the longer legs of males? Thanks a lot and while we are on the subject are males not dangerous to people because they don't bite or is their venom not toxic at all? Thanks.
The males get enlarged pediplalps after about 3-4 moults ("boxing gloves") Only adult females (not juveniles) can pierce the skin. Males also have less venom than the females.

Shelob

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So then I can somewhat safely assume that any non-black widow is harmless? Thanks for the reply BTW.

El Johano

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Shelob said:
So then I can somewhat safely assume that any non-black widow is harmless? Thanks for the reply BTW.
That depends on the size of the spider. Adult L. geometricus may be very pale in colour and although they are not as venomous as the black widows their bite may still cause a reaction.