How to start a Fruit fly culture.

MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf

Arachnobaron
So, after i managed to successfuly start and raise a fruit fly culture from scratch, i decided to make a guide, which i know a lot of people have already done, on how to cheaply raise a fruit fly culture.

Cost : around 5$.
Preparation : 10 minutes - 2 days. (depends on location, month of the year and day.)
Culture lifespan : 10 days - 3 weeks.
After how many days you begin seeing new fruit flies : 7-10 days (approx. f * 3 )
f = Fruit flies you start with.

Ingredients per culture

+Essentials.+
1 Bannana.
3-5 slices of apple.
Yeast or Cinnamon.
1 Container of any sort.
A Fruit fly escpae proof lid (you can a paper towel and a rubberband if you dont have one).
Some type of paper - wood - thingy for the fruit flies to rest on (i prefer cut paper. its easy and cheap to get).
Fruit flies (either wild-caught or home raised, flightless or not will do. You just need 4+.)

+Optional.+

Oatmeal (Provides some extra nutrition.)
Potatoes (Provides some extra nutrition.)

How to set the culture up

Put all of the ingredients in a blender and mix them all toghether (dont put the cinnamon in , but only the yeast). After that, place the mix in the container , and sprinkle some cinnamon or yeast on top. When you're done, place the material you chose that your fruit flies will rest on, make sure it's long and thin. After that, take your fruit flies (4-20 of them) and put them in the container. If you have wild-caught or normal fruit flies, which arent flightless, just put them in the freezer for 10 seconds, before dumping them inside the container, so they dont fly away. When everything is done, quickly close the lid, and store the fruit flies in a semi-dark, dry and warm area. About 23-30*C. (Celsius.)
The fruit flies should start breeding within 2 days, and by the next week, you should see about 3 times more flies, than the amount you originally added.
Re-do the whole proccess every other week or everytime your culture starts to get overcrowded.

Hope you enjoyed my guide. Thanks for reading!

Last edited: