How to read yer spider?

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well as the topic says, and that i'm a fresh tarantulaowner hence being quite concerned, i'd love to get some help reading my spider's behaviour

anyone care to help? i.e, if the spider climbs a lot, is very active, starts breakdancing and so on, what does all these things mean? please add what your very own spider does from time to time, and what it means

thanks and take care!

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
Welcome to the boards. Please can you be more specific, what spider is it? What is it doing exactly? If it climbing the tank alot, it could mean that its uncomfortable in its new surroundings, and needs to settle in, or it may not like the substrate you are using.
but if its an arboreal, or a tree climber, then climbing is perfectly normal, add some bog wood or a log for it to climb on.

S

schlinkey

well, mine hasn't been doing to much weird stuff (g.rosea) but it would be nice to have some sort of clue of what the things spiders in captivity do means :)

one thing though; after having nailed a cricket it makes a webcarpet on the spots it's sitting, then eats a little, then lays the cricket on the mat, webs it in, picks it up the eats some more! it has been eating the whole crickets all the time! nothing left! hehe.. she's not fullgrown but i tried to give her a LARGE cricket.. *WHAM* one ready-to-be-devoured-cricket ;) awesome to watch.. ooh i'm rambling..

cheers!

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
Sounds normal for a Chilean rose, they have reputations for being weird.

veronyka

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah I agree... roses are strange...I have two. One lets me hold it and walks up my arm. The other rose is just territorial. If I open the lid to the cage, it comes out and raises its legs for me. Not only that, one rose always eats and the other fasted for a month one time. They both web up the floor, so I guess it's normal. But hey, I still love my rosies :)

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
one thing though; after having nailed a cricket it makes a webcarpet on the spots it's sitting, then eats a little, then lays the cricket on the mat, webs it in, picks it up the eats some more! it has been eating the whole crickets all the time!
This is what I like to call the =D Happy Dance =D Eating moving round and round laying a silken matting for some later use... Maybe a table cloth?