How to Properly Remove a Tick

billrogers

Arachnoknight
I just want to add that it's a good idea to keep the tick in a ziplock bag (after it's dead) for few a few weeks after you pull it out in case you get sick. That way the doctors can also check the actual tick to help them figure out what you caught. At least this is what I have always been told...

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I just want to add that it's a good idea to keep the tick in a ziplock bag (after it's dead) for few a few weeks after you pull it out in case you get sick. That way the doctors can also check the actual tick to help them figure out what you caught. At least this is what I have always been told...
Excellent addition! I'd recommend keeping the tick for 1-2 months just to be safe. Most diseases will manifest within a month, but saving it certainly can't hurt. Having the tick always helps in case they need to send it to an entomologist to ID. If the tick isn't blood fed the doctors may be able to ID it, but I'd be a bit nervous letting them try to ID if it's full.

Sheridan

Arachnopeon
For the record you can get Lyme from less than a 24 hour feeding. Ive had it twice from the same bite(i was one of the lucky 20% with a recourance) and feeding time was likely sub 12 hours. Do avoid it, doxycycline works as a preventative if you do get bit as a single dose within 24 hours of finding the tick. Headaches from Lyme are a royal $€&3£!

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Since I last perused this thread I encountered the ultimate tick removal tool. A Kelly's forceps with the very tip ground off at about a 45 degree angle then rounded very slightly so it isn't sharp and can poke you. I've done in a pair of Kelly's trying it. It's so accurate and powerful you can grab the ticks mouth parts without even squeezing the head. The dermatologist I learned this from added dipping the tips in povidone-iodine before removing the tick to stop all further contamination from the tick and arrest disease spread from the Kellys. She cut off part of the applicator tip from a bottle of Betadyne and plugged the hole with the Kellys: Instant tick zapper on hand.

Nosiris

Arachnosquire
I recommend this tick lasso:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TRIX-TICK-LASSO-REMOVER-HUMANS/dp/B001QC34LS

I've used it twice in the field (on humans!) and it worked perfectly both times. Pretty straightforward if used with a little patience. The one I got (a couple of years ago) came with a little glass vial and some sort of free testing service if you post the offending item to Sweden but the current listing doesn't mention this so maybe they don't do it any more.

grimmjowls

Arachnoknight
Keep in mind that these ticks are small and the larval and nymphal stages are even smaller. Be sure to check skin/clothing when you finish hiking (or collecting ;) ), wear long pants, and use bug spray containing DEET.
Having studied Lyme disease and the role that ticks play in infecting humans, I can confidently add that as long as you do full body checks after being around areas that are known to have I. scapularis and other carriers of the disease, you will be fine in terms of not contracting the disease. The tick must be attached for at least 48 hours before B. burgdorferi can pass onto the host.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Having studied Lyme disease and the role that ticks play in infecting humans, I can confidently add that as long as you do full body checks after being around areas that are known to have I. scapularis and other carriers of the disease, you will be fine in terms of not contracting the disease. The tick must be attached for at least 48 hours before B. burgdorferi can pass onto the host.
Definitely! Doing a quick tick check once you get back is one of the best ways to make sure you don't have any on you. I always check first thing in the morning too because it gives them time to embed and makes them easier to pick out once they get a little blood in them. Probably not how most people want to find them, but like you grimmjowls, I studied Lyme and I. scapularis too, so I guess I just got used to them lol.

The Snark

Old Timer
The tick must be attached for at least 48 hours before B. burgdorferi can pass onto the host.
This is not entirely correct or a safe rule to follow.
Due to the mechanisms the bacterium uses, the longer the tick is allowed to feed the greater the chance of transmission of the infection. However, numerous factors play a part in the speed which the transmission can take place inclusive of the age of the tick, the temperature, and the host's susceptibility. Transmission can take as little as an hour, depending on how fast the protein development phases progress.

OspC, like the previous outer surface proteins, is a lipoprotein that lies on the surface of the bacterium and is encoded by a circular plasmid. As discussed earlier, the expression of OspA and OspB is down regulated soon after the tick is done feeding. While, the expression of these proteins is down regulated, the expression of OspC is increased [12,13]. Osp binds a salivary protein in ticks, Salp15, which accounts for its role in transmission from the tick to the host [14]. Grimm et al. showed through their research that OspC is an essential component of B. burgdorferi to cause infection [15]. OspC deletion mutants remain a virulent when infected through needle and tick [16]. Overall, OspC is required for transmission and infection in the host cell.

However, effective transmission that will assure the bacterium established itself in the host and is able to overcome antibody resistance takes a greater period of time.

So the rule is, get the tick out as fast as possible and have it checked. If positive, you need to follow up with tests to assure the pathogen has not established itself enough to enter a reproductive state. IE, you can still have the infection but it may not be sufficient for reproduction and retransmission and remains dormant.

You should also be aware there are several common pathogens carried by the deer tick, each with different properties. (Lyme disease, babesiosis, anaplasmosis, Powassan virus disease

https://microbewiki.kenyon.edu/index.php/Borrelia_burgdorferi_and_Lyme_Disease
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2440571/

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
With the mild winter that we had in my area I am especially fearful of what tick (or other) plagues we will have this year. I usually am one to try and paint invertebrates in a positive light but ticks, mosquitoes, etc. deserve to be destroyed!!!

grimmjowls

Arachnoknight
This is not entirely correct or a safe rule to follow.
Due to the mechanisms the bacterium uses, the longer the tick is allowed to feed the greater the chance of transmission of the infection. However, numerous factors play a part in the speed which the transmission can take place inclusive of the age of the tick, the temperature, and the host's susceptibility. Transmission can take as little as an hour, depending on how fast the protein development phases progress.

OspC, like the previous outer surface proteins, is a lipoprotein that lies on the surface of the bacterium and is encoded by a circular plasmid. As discussed earlier, the expression of OspA and OspB is down regulated soon after the tick is done feeding. While, the expression of these proteins is down regulated, the expression of OspC is increased [12,13]. Osp binds a salivary protein in ticks, Salp15, which accounts for its role in transmission from the tick to the host [14]. Grimm et al. showed through their research that OspC is an essential component of B. burgdorferi to cause infection [15]. OspC deletion mutants remain a virulent when infected through needle and tick [16]. Overall, OspC is required for transmission and infection in the host cell.

However, effective transmission that will assure the bacterium established itself in the host and is able to overcome antibody resistance takes a greater period of time.

So the rule is, get the tick out as fast as possible and have it checked. If positive, you need to follow up with tests to assure the pathogen has not established itself enough to enter a reproductive state. IE, you can still have the infection but it may not be sufficient for reproduction and retransmission and remains dormant.

You should also be aware there are several common pathogens carried by the deer tick, each with different properties. (Lyme disease, babesiosis, anaplasmosis, Powassan virus disease

https://microbewiki.kenyon.edu/index.php/Borrelia_burgdorferi_and_Lyme_Disease
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2440571/
Quoting the CDC's own material:

... In general, ticks need to be attached for 36 to 48 hours before they can transmit Lyme disease bacteria. ...

Going off of that, I nowhere stated that it's a good idea to leave the tick embedded for anywhere close to 48 hours. :meh:

Another source states:

Nymph ticks are the most likely transmitter because they are small and not easily detectable by humans, as the tick must remain attached for 36-48 hours to transmit B. burgdorferi to the host.

Yet another breaks it down as to why it requires so long:

On the basis of experimental studies with animals, to transmit B burgdorferi an infected nymphal tick generally must feed for at least 36 to 48 hours and an infected adult tick must feed for at least 72 hours before the risk of transmission becomes substantial. These experimental findings were confirmed in a study in humans in which the risk of transmission from ticks (for which the duration of feeding could be assessed) to humans was 25% for nymphal ticks that had fed for at least 72 hours and 0% for nymphal ticks that had fed for less than 72 hours, as well as for all adult and all larval ticks. The bacteria live in the midgut of the tick, which needs to become engorged with blood before the bacteria migrate to the salivary glands and the saliva, through which the organism is injected into the host. Studies indicate that in most instances in which a tick bite is recognized, the tick has fed for less than 48 hours, which in part explains the low risk of Lyme disease (1%–3%) after a recognized tick bite in endemic areas. Risk of Lyme disease may be higher from bites that are unrecognized because the tick may feed to repletion and would be more likely to transmit the infection.

So how about we do full-body checks after coming inside from a tick-inhabited area within 48 hours? ;)

The Snark

Old Timer
Quoting the CDC's own material:

... In general, ticks need to be attached for 36 to 48 hours before they can transmit Lyme disease bacteria. ...
Going off of that, I nowhere stated that it's a good idea to leave the tick embedded for anywhere close to 48 hours. :meh:

Another source states:

Nymph ticks are the most likely transmitter because they are small and not easily detectable by humans, as the tick must remain attached for 36-48 hours to transmit B. burgdorferi to the host.
Yet another breaks it down as to why it requires so long:

On the basis of experimental studies with animals, to transmit B burgdorferi an infected nymphal tick generally must feed for at least 36 to 48 hours and an infected adult tick must feed for at least 72 hours before the risk of transmission becomes substantial. These experimental findings were confirmed in a study in humans in which the risk of transmission from ticks (for which the duration of feeding could be assessed) to humans was 25% for nymphal ticks that had fed for at least 72 hours and 0% for nymphal ticks that had fed for less than 72 hours, as well as for all adult and all larval ticks. The bacteria live in the midgut of the tick, which needs to become engorged with blood before the bacteria migrate to the salivary glands and the saliva, through which the organism is injected into the host. Studies indicate that in most instances in which a tick bite is recognized, the tick has fed for less than 48 hours, which in part explains the low risk of Lyme disease (1%–3%) after a recognized tick bite in endemic areas. Risk of Lyme disease may be higher from bites that are unrecognized because the tick may feed to repletion and would be more likely to transmit the infection.
So how about we do full-body checks after coming inside from a tick-inhabited area within 48 hours? ;)
This explains why the tick is a very ineffective vector compared to a mosquito packing readily available parasites or virus in it's saliva, at least in humans that can easily remove them.

(PS Apologies for my half arsed rushed research earlier. I should know better)

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Annual public safety bump! Ticks are starting to emerge in good numbers in the US, so please make sure to do a tick check after doing outdoor activities!

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Annual public safety bump! Ticks are starting to emerge in good numbers in the US, so please make sure to do a tick check after doing outdoor activities!
Predicted to be a higher than average season too if I read correctly. Thanks for the reminder! Definitely have them in my area.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Predicted to be a higher than average season too if I read correctly. Thanks for the reminder! Definitely have them in my area.
Agreed, I would definitely expect a heavy tick year with the mild winter.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I do love spring. The smell of daffodils, the logarithmic spirals of fern fiddleheads, and the gentle caress of ticks crawling around your body.