How to Properly Install a Magnetic Closure?

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Hello, I recently bought a new type of container to try as an enclosure, and it's great except for one thing-- it doesn't snap closed. This isn't an issue for scorpions since they can't climb up, but I worry tarantulas would be able to push it up if they were persistent and big enough.

So! I think the best way to add a strong closure is to use a magnetic closure. I'm thinking I could silicone one in at the top in the middle. So:
  1. What's the best way to secure a magnetic closure? Silicone? Hot glue? Something else?
  2. What's a good magnetic closure to buy? Which would best suit my needs?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I'd just put a hinge on the other end. With a sort of lock through it.

Sounds much easier to me.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I'd just put a hinge on the other end. With a sort of lock through it.

Sounds much easier to me.
It's kind of got a lip to it. I'm not sure how to put a hinge on something with a lip. An acrylic hasp was my first instinct, but the lip made me go to magnetic closure.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
It's kind of got a lip to it. I'm not sure how to put a hinge on something with a lip. An acrylic hasp was my first instinct, but the lip made me go to magnetic closure.

Ah, my bad.

How deep is the lip? Could you burn a small hole through and shove something inbetween?

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Ah, my bad.

How deep is the lip? Could you burn a small hole through and shove something inbetween?
It's pretty thick plastic. I mean, if I turned my soldering iron up all the way I might-could burn through it.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
It's pretty thick plastic. I mean, if I turned my soldering iron up all the way I might-could burn through it.
Lip looks pretty low to me. But I don't know how slender your iron is.

I'm not sure how magnets would work either tho..

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Also where did you buy it?
Amazon, $15.99. They come in different sizes too. They're great, except for that lid not snapping into place.

Lip looks pretty low to me. But I don't know how slender your iron is.

I'm not sure how magnets would work either tho..
It's actually pretty slender. I'd get a picture but it's after midnight so I'll do it tomorrow. I'd say it's maybe...14g? 12g?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
One trick I've seen a lot of people do. They use a glue like Super Glue or epoxy on the main bearing surfaces, then hot glue the parts in place. The hot glue becomes a clamp to hold things still while the other glue sets.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Is the lip on all sides or only the front? If it is only the front then you can use 2 small hasps on the long sides to hold the lid down. I would use 2 part epoxy for plastic- it holds incredibly well and sets quickly.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I ended up burning out part of the front lip with my soldering iron and applied an acrylic hasp with hot glue. It's a little messy but it serves it's intended purpose!

I did it for my new P. imperator enclosure, and I'm gonna do it for my Heterometrus enclosures next. The plastic bin two pack I bought, one of them had a piece of the corner cracked off and missing so I can't even use it. Unless I can find the broken piece in the packaging and can glue it into place with some acrylic cement.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Looks great! I ordered one of these a while ago and it arrived cracked. I didnt use it for a T and it holds a bunch of my makeup instead!