how to over come

awiec

Arachnoprince
That was one of my early steps in overcoming arachnophobia -- cupping any and every spider that got into the house. And now at work, I get called when someone finds a spider (or any "creepy crawlie") loose so I can put it outside.

Btw -- maybe I am just weird this way -- but if I have a witness or someone watching -- I am somehow braver than when alone.
Even though I am still catching the critter without any assistance -- just having someone observe somehow makes me less nervous.
Anyone else have that experience?
Just me? Oh well.
Magical thing called peer pressure or if you are amount a bunch of screaming nancies then you have to step up

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Magical thing called peer pressure or if you are amount a bunch of screaming nancies then you have to step up
Maybe I do better if someone is depending on me where spiders are concerned.
I am self-conscious usually -- if you stood over my shoulder while I typed, I would have a million typos. Or hand me yarn and needles and ask me to cast on while you watched -- I would momentarily forget how and make a knotted mess of it.
Maybe I am just an arachnophobe in denial, but I do better with spiders when others are present.

scott99

Arachnoknight
I have never been a "arachnophobia" but when I was young was kind of scared spider. Once I remember, going to my dad uncles house and seeing black widow (probably a Latrodectus mactans) and boy it scared me. I remember thinking it might be in the house and if I sat up it might bite me.

gobey

Arachnoknight
My tarantulas don't scare me. I don't fear any of them. I fear maybe them getting loose. Not because they'd bite me but because I'd lose a valuable pet and they'd die.

I get a little nervous I suppose in the OBT cage or working with the OW at times. But only if I let myself get in my own head.

I'm honestly more creeped out by losing sight of a tiny house spider. And by tiny I mean a big one.

I found some kind of huge spider in my yoga mat the other day. It was really fast. I got more nervous manipulating him out of the building to get outside than housing my H. maculata. :/

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I'm honestly more creeped out by losing sight of a tiny house spider. And by tiny I mean a big one.
Agreed. It's the unknown. At least even with a faster T I know it's a T, it's a pet, it's mine, I chose it, I paid for it. It belongs here. Somewhat comforting.

I found some kind of huge spider in my yoga mat the other day.
Something about a rolled up anything -- spiders just can't resist. I think if I were to use my yoga mat more than once yearly (annual usage is usually just after making New Year resolutions) there wouldn't be a spider in the mat roll every single time I got it out. Yoga mat + closet = spiderville.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have never been a "arachnophobia" but when I was young was kind of scared spider. Once I remember, going to my dad uncles house and seeing black widow (probably a Latrodectus mactans) and boy it scared me. I remember thinking it might be in the house and if I sat up it might bite me.
Your dad uncle?

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
All I could think of when I saw this was I'm My Own Grandpa by Ray Stevens.
(groan) And here I was trying to make it through the rest of my life without ever hearing that song again.:barf:

Wait -- I didn't click the video -- Ptshew! Saved!
That was too close for comfort! :giggle:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Oh, I dunno. I always found the convolutions of that one to be sort of amusing.
Yeah? No, no, no, still not clicking that link.

I actually met Ray Stevens at the state fair on a class trip back in the 70s. I didn't know who he was at the time, but the teachers/chaperones assured us all he was famous so we all queued up for autographs. He signed my stuffed animal fabric yellow snake on its white belly (something I had won at the fair - or more likely, received as a consolation prize for not winning at some booth or the other).

No (giggle) I don't still have it.

Ellen <---somewhat hasty dejunker lol

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Oh go on. The video creator included a diagram explaining the association.

No (giggle) I don't still have it.
Pity. Intrigued, I snooped around on e-bay and saw items autographed items going for upwards of 1200 dollars.

Ellen <---somewhat hasty dejunker lol
Ack! My complete opposite!

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Pity. Intrigued, I snooped around on e-bay and saw items autographed items going for upwards of 1200 dollars.
Ack! My complete opposite!
I am not clicking on eBay to check this out. I am confident a Ray Stevens autograph would be worth under 5 bucks -- and probably still wouldn't be sold. lol

Actually, I am a pack rat. (sigh) I still have my Easy Bake Oven, magic eight ball, Etch-a-sketch, etc.. Probably a few hundred tubes of oil paint (stockpiling leads and cadmiums due to fears of legislation -- yes, my other main hobby is also threatened by feds), etc..
But you can't keep everything!
That snake -- picture 70s Taiwanese (most excellent people!) craftsmanship with a very faded autograph. It had to go, along with Donna Fargo's I got the next year on class trip to state fair.

I have learned that if everything is precious and valuable, then nothing is. So -- I dejunk what doesn't still make me smile or bring me joy or have "real" future use.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I am not clicking on eBay to check this out. I am confident a Ray Stevens autograph would be worth under 5 bucks -- and probably still wouldn't be sold. lol
I didn't say Ray Stevens autographed items. :D

That snake -- picture 70s Taiwanese (most excellent people!) craftsmanship with a very faded autograph. It had to go, along with Donna Fargo's I got the next year on class trip to state fair.
Have you seen what 70's era plushie snakes go for on ebay?