1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Keep C versicolor Sling Alive?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by vive, May 12, 2019.

1. vive

vive Arachnopeon Active Member

Advertisement
    Hi! So I’ve heard that c versicolors have really high death rates. I’ll be getting my own pretty soon which will be around 2 cm. I’m really really hoping I get it to adulthood though! So what I want to know is what are some critical things I need to know for taking care of them?

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnoprince Old Timer

There are sevral threads in the subject! Ventilation, some moisture and food!

• Like Like x 2
  3. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

Read this thread and come back with any specific questions you have

avicularia-care

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. vive

I’m actually quite new at this so an a versicolor is just the same as a c versicolor?

5. Killertut

Killertut Arachnopeon Active Member

Germany
    there was a revision of the avicularia family and they noticed that a lot of T's are not of the avicularia genus. they created a new genus for A. caribena and A. laeta: Caribena

• Like Like x 1
  6. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

Yeah, the Avicularia genus was revised, one of the changes is that Avicularia versicolor is now Caribena versicolor.

• Like Like x 1
  7. vive

@The Grym Reaper @Vanisher

So I’ve finally gotten this little escape artist haha :happy: At its size, which enclosure would be better? (I’ll get to fixing it right away once I know).

Attached Files:

8. I'm not sure which size would be better, but my C. versicolor sling is in an upside-down AMAC box (not sure if those are available where you are) because it likes to make its web hammock up in the very top corner of the enclosure. I would be nervous about putting one in a top-opening enclosure like that because there's the possibility of them making their web where it would get destroyed every time you unscrewed the lid.

9. vive

I actually ended up thinking about that as well and went to get a new enclosure. Is t okay?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Thekla

Thekla Arachnoangel Active Member

You don't need that hide, it's completely useless for your T. I'd get a nice slab of cork bark - something that reaches from bottom to top - and attach the fake plants around it at the top side.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Sad Sad x 1
  11. vive

I actually thought so at first until I read somewhere that versicolors were semi-arboreal and semi-terrestrial. But okay I’ll take your word for it.

Cork bark is really hard to come by where I’m from so I’m still looking into alternatives. Noted on the plants. I’ll just try to figure out how to get them in there with my versi already housed ahha

12. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Oh, that was just a lie.

They are as arboreal as they come.

Cork isn't a necessity, any dried out wood would work....I use drift wood collected from beaches almost exclusively.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. vive

So I think I ran out of time to add more plants at the back and now it started webbing up in front where I open its enclosure : ( I really feel bad if I have to ruin its webbing. Especially since I have to clean out its water bowl and get the uneaten worm. So should I just leave it alone?

Attached Files:

14. Enrgy

Enrgy Arachnosquire Active Member

if u want it in there then go for it :) it'll web again

15. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

As a species they don’t inherently have high death rates.

In fact they are one of the easiest Avics to raise due to amazing appetite.

See my link below