How to keep a house spider?

basin79

ArachnoGod
Random question but do you know anyone who has macrothele gigas for sale as they are very rare in online shops. Also how do you post threads?
If you're in the UK So many legs had some for sale a little while ago.

Dylan Fox

Arachnopeon
Thanks, they don't have any left but I will email them to see if know if the person the bought it off has any.

Scribbler26

Arachnopeon
3F604443-BC81-4F0C-A747-A1BB31EBE705.jpeg Hello everyone! Just a little update and a couple of questions.

The first spider I had died very quickly, I’m not sure why, I think it may have been injured when I got it.

My boyfriend caught another one for me a couple of days ago. She’s faring much better and has eaten a fly I caught for her. She hasn’t webbed up at all though, when would they normally do this? Also, I’m getting much more comfortable around her, but it still freaks me out when she moves. I’m trying to get a bit more used to this, but she doesn’t move a great deal! I don’t want to stress her out by keep getting her to move though.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
View attachment 319184 Hello everyone! Just a little update and a couple of questions.

The first spider I had died very quickly, I’m not sure why, I think it may have been injured when I got it.

My boyfriend caught another one for me a couple of days ago. She’s faring much better and has eaten a fly I caught for her. She hasn’t webbed up at all though, when would they normally do this? Also, I’m getting much more comfortable around her, but it still freaks me out when she moves. I’m trying to get a bit more used to this, but she doesn’t move a great deal! I don’t want to stress her out by keep getting her to move though.
It can take a few weeks to web up. Having looked at you’re 1st spider it looks male meaning it could have been mature and that’s the reason it has died. Can you get some close up pics of the new spider and someone may be able to tell if it’s male or not. Also pets at home sell feeders in store if you have one near you I’d buy the black crickets they seem to live longer and get appropriate sized ones for you’re spider no bigger than it’s body.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I keep a bunch of house spiders. The enclosure is my house. (Pretty expensive, but I already had it just sitting around.) Their care needs are nonexistent and they tend to take care of themselves. Never even had to feed them. 5 out of 5 stars, easiest pets ever.:D
Seriously, I commend you for taking this step to overcome your fear and care for something that makes you uncomfortable. Good luck!
Beat me to it :rolleyes:

TheSpiderChick

Arachnopeon
First of all, @Scribbler26 - YAY YOU! Great job facing your fear and working to get past it!! Super impressive, and you deserve a trophy for that!
Then re: the spider. She is a female. Because if it were a male, even immature, at that large size we would definitely see bulging at the ends of the pediplaps.
So congratulations, you have a girl! Which is also cool because they live much longer than the males.
One additional suggestion: Many pet stores sell mealworms to feed to various pets. They are usually sold in some sawdust-like meal. You can keep a container of like 50 mealworms in the fridge for months. The cold puts them kind of dormant, so they don't mature and molt and die so fast. Then just grab out one or two with some tweezers, let them warm up slightly so they start moving, and drop them in to the container with your spider. They are much easier to keep and handle than crickets. It's still great to supplement with a cricket occasionally, or flies etc that you catch at home. Variety is healthy. But if you have the mealworms in the fridge, then you always have a backup.
No need to feed too often. Spiders can go a long time without food, so maybe once or twice a week, if she actually seems interested.
And make sure to give her water. I add a little tiny dish of water so she always has the option - you can use a plastic bottle cap or something like that. Is that what that black lid thing is in your photo? If so, that looks much larger than is necessary. But whatever you use, you can push it into the corner, which helps stabilize it. Make sure to drizzle or mist water into the rest of the enclosure occasionally too, so she doesn't necessarily have to go looking for it.
You're doing great, really amazing! Keep at it!

Scribbler26

Arachnopeon
First of all, @Scribbler26 - YAY YOU! Great job facing your fear and working to get past it!! Super impressive, and you deserve a trophy for that!
Then re: the spider. She is a female. Because if it were a male, even immature, at that large size we would definitely see bulging at the ends of the pediplaps.
So congratulations, you have a girl! Which is also cool because they live much longer than the males.
One additional suggestion: Many pet stores sell mealworms to feed to various pets. They are usually sold in some sawdust-like meal. You can keep a container of like 50 mealworms in the fridge for months. The cold puts them kind of dormant, so they don't mature and molt and die so fast. Then just grab out one or two with some tweezers, let them warm up slightly so they start moving, and drop them in to the container with your spider. They are much easier to keep and handle than crickets. It's still great to supplement with a cricket occasionally, or flies etc that you catch at home. Variety is healthy. But if you have the mealworms in the fridge, then you always have a backup.
No need to feed too often. Spiders can go a long time without food, so maybe once or twice a week, if she actually seems interested.
And make sure to give her water. I add a little tiny dish of water so she always has the option - you can use a plastic bottle cap or something like that. Is that what that black lid thing is in your photo? If so, that looks much larger than is necessary. But whatever you use, you can push it into the corner, which helps stabilize it. Make sure to drizzle or mist water into the rest of the enclosure occasionally too, so she doesn't necessarily have to go looking for it.
You're doing great, really amazing! Keep at it!

Thank you! That’s very kind and helpful of you. I am *slowly* getting more used to her. I’m able to pick up the container and move it myself now - which is actually a huge achievement embarrassingly! It’s the movement that I find particular difficult to cope with. I’ve been amazed by how still she is, I very rarely see her move. I’d like to get used to seeing her move but don’t want to stress her out by tapping on the glass etc. Are there any kinder ways of getting her to move about a bit more when I’m around?

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
She is a female. Because if it were a male, even immature, at that large size we would definitely see bulging at the ends of the pediplaps.
This doesn’t happen until maturity, the bulging at the end of the pedipalps are the sex organs that apear when mature
Thank you! That’s very kind and helpful of you. I am *slowly* getting more used to her. I’m able to pick up the container and move it myself now - which is actually a huge achievement embarrassingly! It’s the movement that I find particular difficult to cope with. I’ve been amazed by how still she is, I very rarely see her move. I’d like to get used to seeing her move but don’t want to stress her out by tapping on the glass etc. Are there any kinder ways of getting her to move about a bit more when I’m around?
Most spiders hardly move just something we need to deal with, unless it is a mature male they wander in search of a mate so would be more active. When you say about the moving I’m still creeped out by most true spiders Ts are totally different you should get yourself one lol

Last edited:

Scribbler26

Arachnopeon
This doesn’t happen until maturity, the bulging at the end of the pedipalps are the sex organs that apear when mature

Most spiders hardly move just something we need to deal with, unless it is a mature male they wander in search of a mate so would be more active. When you say about the moving I’m still creeped out by most true spiders Ts are totally different you should get yourself one lol
At least I know I’m not the only one creeped out by their movement! I would quite like to get a pet T, but I don’t think it would help much with my fear of house spiders sadly! Perhaps I will get myself one as a reward for conquering my fear one day!

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
At least I know I’m not the only one creeped out by their movement! I would quite like to get a pet T, but I don’t think it would help much with my fear of house spiders sadly! Perhaps I will get myself one as a reward for conquering my fear one day!
I keep an Eratigena Atrica and
Steatoda Nobilis, and had 18 Ts, 23 as of today. It’s still a great way to over come you’re fear.

Scribbler26

Arachnopeon
0A35AB18-D17B-43F4-97FA-EB552E86A307.jpeg
I keep an Eratigena Atrica and
Steatoda Nobilis, and had 18 Ts, 23 as of today. It’s still a great way to over come you’re fear.
Blimey! Where do you keep them all?!

Got out my macro lens and got a couple of shots of her.

I am very pleased to say that a large male came scurrying across my floor and I was able to catch it and let it go outside! This might not sound like a lot, but that’s a huge achievement for me. I no longer have to be frightened of being in the house on my own! Thank you all so much for your advice and support so far!