How to hydrate a sling?

mjlim0802

Arachnopeon
I have 2 1 1/2'' B albopilosum sling and i want to know how to hydrate them. Is spraying 1 corner of their enclosure enough to hydrate them?

MB623

Arachnoknight
You can spray the side of their enclosure and they can drink the droplets on the side or you can provide a water bottle lid with a few pieces of plain colored aquarium gravel in it. That's a couple ways other than feeding.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I give my slings water bowls when they're less than an 1", they don't drown in them I also put long fiber spagnum moss in the container and mist it once or twice a week. Both of these things prevent you from overmisting and getting the substrate soggy. Little ones can dehydrate very quickly, so I don't like to depend on misting alone.

845BigRed

Arachnosquire
Moss like Poec54 said is great to keep humidity up. If your looking for something the next time you finish your bottle of soda/water/whatever keep the cap, all my slings have a cap inside their container filled with water that I usually overflow every 2-3 days.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
If your looking for something the next time you finish your bottle of soda/water/whatever keep the cap, all my slings have a cap inside their container filled with water that I usually overflow every 2-3 days.
+1. I keep a large cup on the kitchen counter, and everytime we drink a bottle with a plastic lid, it goes in there. I only give my spiders bottled springwater (cases of 16oz bottles) and save the lids from those too. It adds up. The only plastic lids I don't save are the ones that have paper glued to the inside of them, which makes them bacteria traps.

Last edited:

3skulls

Arachnobaron
+1. I keep a large cup on the kitchen counter, and everytime we drink a bottle with a plastic lid, it goes in there. I only give my spiders bottled springwater (cases of 16oz bottles) and save the lids from those too. It adds up. The only plastic lids I don't save are the ones that paper glued to the inside of them, which makes them bacteria traps.
I have bottle caps stashed all over the house and at work :p

Ludedor24

FangzTv
Old Timer
Agreed bottle caps washed well. work great for t's that size

Munch

Arachnosquire
And as MB623 said make sure that it has gravel so they can't drown.

Yentlequible

Arachnoknight
I have bottle caps stashed all over the house and at work :p
I'm a little confused. Why would you need tons and tons of bottle caps? Do you really have that many slings, or do you just replace the cap every time you change their water?

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm a little confused. Why would you need tons and tons of bottle caps? Do you really have that many slings, or do you just replace the cap every time you change their water?
For all the FUTURE slings... Come on!

MB623

Arachnoknight
It's always nice to have extras. I get lazy sometimes and just swap out an old dish for a clean new one and just wash the used dish later, plus a lot of my collection likes to poo in their water dish.

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
I feed often and spray weekly. Usually just one side. It's not a huge deal. If they have fat abdomens they're well hydrated anyway. For larger tarantulas a water dish is a good idea, especially if you have a G. rosea who has decided to never eat again and shrivel away like mine is doing.

---------- Post added 06-04-2013 at 11:32 PM ----------

I've never used a bottle cap for anything under a few inches. Just feed well. Fat abdomen, well hydrated. Of course if you have something that appreciates more humidity then maybe more spraying is in order with a water dish as well to help keep humidity up. But I keep my avic on the dry side until I see her darkening and gearing up to molt. I give a good spray for that. So far she's been doing well (knock on wood)

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just dampen the substrate about once a week, if that. IME, slings are hardier than adults when it comes to dehydration. My adults abdomens will start to shrink a whole lot faster than any of my slings.

On a side note, I wouldn't consider 2.5" to be a sling.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
You don't know any serious collectors? I always have dozens of slings in deli cups. When their water bowls get fouled (feces and food remains) I throw them out and replace them. Same policy for juveniles and adults. For them I buy sleeves of 1oz and 3oz souffle cups.

---------- Post added 06-05-2013 at 07:38 AM ----------

And as MB623 said make sure that it has gravel so they can't drown.
I never use gravel in my sling water bowls, even when the slings are 1/2". I can see drowning might happen with a 1/4" sling and a 1" waterbowl.