How to clean bark and wood for enclosures

mischiefhaze

Arachnopeon
I am considering using pieces of logs for climbing and bark to build hides for my T's.

Anyone know of any good ways to clean these things and eliminate bugs and anything else you wouldn't want in the enclosure?

Thanks

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
I am considering using pieces of logs for climbing and bark to build hides for my T's.

Anyone know of any good ways to clean these things and eliminate bugs and anything else you wouldn't want in the enclosure?

Thanks
never heard of the method by kristin....i spray the piece of wood down ( so doesnt risk of catching on fire.... shuts my stepdad up ) and put it into the oven on high for a good little moment depending on size of wood. ive never had a problem

webbedone

Arachnobaron
i am more of a boiler fan myself, toss it in a pot of boiling water for a few add 2 teaspoons of cheapest vinegar, hot temps kill anything living and the vinegar which is a very mild natural acid kills any mold/mold spores

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
i am more of a boiler fan myself, toss it in a pot of boiling water for a few add 2 teaspoons of cheapest vinegar, hot temps kill anything living and the vinegar which is a very mild natural acid kills any mold/mold spores
have never tried that how long do you gotta let it set out?

JTC5150

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I spray it down with the hose, shake off the water and let it dry a little for a few then bake it in the oven at 100- 125 until dry. I use a nice sized toaster oven I can plug out side so the house does'nt heat up in the summer.Never had a problem with the wood I get from the forest preserve at work.

tacoyaki

Arachnopeon
i hose mine down then boil it for 3 hours or so then off the oven it goes, usually at 250 for 10-20 minutes just till its dry =)

Last edited:

mischiefhaze

Arachnopeon
Good ideas. I might try boiling next time. I washed it off with the hose then put it in the over at 450 for an hour or so. It's in the enclosure now so hopefully that is enough.

Thanks again

webbedone

Arachnobaron
have never tried that how long do you gotta let it set out?
i boil it for about an hour everything else is over kill. Vinegar will be completely gone in max of 2 days if you treat the item directly, if you boil in vinegar water mix then less than that. Doesnt really matter since its tottaly harmless to the T. if you are obsessed or work at a biological weapons reaserch facility and have been drilled into steralizing yourself 24/7. you can bake the piece but i dont see how anything more than few minutes in the oven is necessary.

Cool thing with boiling things it makes everything look desert sun bleached. I had a creeper vine killing the tree in my back yard so i cut some and bent em into shapes i want inside the pot while the vine was still fresh and pliable. After some boiling it harded up as it dried and now has the color of a long dead skeleton bone and my rosie loves it!

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
i boil it for about an hour everything else is over kill. Vinegar will be completely gone in max of 2 days if you treat the item directly, if you boil in vinegar water mix then less than that. Doesnt really matter since its tottaly harmless to the T. if you are obsessed or work at a biological weapons reaserch facility and have been drilled into steralizing yourself 24/7. you can bake the piece but i dont see how anything more than few minutes in the oven is necessary.

Cool thing with boiling things it makes everything look desert sun bleached. I had a creeper vine killing the tree in my back yard so i cut some and bent em into shapes i want inside the pot while the vine was still fresh and pliable. After some boiling it harded up as it dried and now has the color of a long dead skeleton bone and my rosie loves it!
sweet good idea. yeh im a little bit of a hygine freak kinda why i like the oven trick... for example it drive me nuts seeing a lilttle dirt in there water bowls :rolleyes: it doesnt hurt them or nothing really but still and the food bolus drive me nuts but i control myself because me reaching into the kritterkeepers every 5 mins would bother them so i let them go till wensday thats my maintnce day :} i feed,mist,clean water dish, kinda peek for food bolus, maybe hold them through out the week.

PitViper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wash the logs off, then bake them in the oven at 350-425 for 15 mins and I've never had any problems with anything, you just have to watch them so they don't catch fire though I've never had any catch fire yet.

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Soak it for a day or so.... repeat process, until it's completely washed... then let it dry out... To sterilize you need to bake em, boil em or nuke em!!!! all these methods work!!!

Or use search! to find out some more answers to your question!!!

Peace!

esotericman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Boiling cork will not "clean" it. All the cracks and crevasses are HYDROPHOBIC. Sink a piece of wood into water, you will see the air bubbles, those act to insulate everything. Also, boiling anything with some size on it takes so much work, mess, hassle, wasted energy to heat the water...

Covering in plastic in the sun will do the trick. When temperatures go up to 160F+ and dessication sets in, you'll have much better luck then any water treatment. This method also works to kill weed seeds in soil, if the soil is shallow enough and you do not have access to an autoclave or soil steamer.

Personally, I don't bother with doing anything more than just letting stuff sit in my car in the summer heat for a few weeks.

anirwin

Arachnopeon
This was very helpful. I was wanting to make my enclosures more natural and make it in a cheap manner. I have no problems buying from the store but it's kinda expensive.

My boyfriend doesn't think I should use real stuff because he's afraid it will decompose. Does anyone know the rate of decomposition for wood in an enclosure?

It would be sad if I found the perfect piece only for it to break or become compost very quickly.

esotericman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Any and all wood exposed to humidity will decompose. Most woods which resist decomposition are usually filled with tannins and other secondary metabolites which may or may not be an issue for your animals. Woods sold for aquaria are only very dense, which buys you some time, but even those break down.

I guess I'd suggest getting used to the idea that things are going to break down. Use isopods to keep things clean, and decorate every few years, there is no reason to break the bank on exotic woods.

Since your profile says "Texas", if you can lay hands on some very weathered Maclura pomifera, that might last a bit longer, but it's important that it is well weathered. Being a member of the fig family, it has lots of latex and other nasty stuff which needs time to break down in the environment first.

anirwin

Arachnopeon
Thank you so much. :) I guess I do need to come to terms with the whole "everything changes" bit.... I guess it wouldn't hurt to redecorate every once in awhile...

malhomme

Arachnopeon
Since your profile says "Texas", if you can lay hands on some very weathered Maclura pomifera, that might last a bit longer, but it's important that it is well weathered. Being a member of the fig family, it has lots of latex and other nasty stuff which needs time to break down in the environment first.
There's "Osage Orange" all over the place down here, especially in Central Texas up through the central plains.

If I may ask, what makes "Osage Orange" especially good for decorating enclosures?

I know some local wood turners like it and it is supposed to be good for making bows, but that's all I know about it. I'm into native plants so now I'm curious.