How to care for Creobroter sp.?

Thekla

Arachnoprince
So, I somehow ended up buying a tiny Creobroter sp. today, about 1/4". Please, don't ask me how this happened! :p I was just getting some superworms at my local pet store and they had these cuties just sitting there on the shelf. Well, now one of them is sitting on my shelf. :smug:

20190206_home.jpg

It's still in the cricket container I bought it in because I'm not sure how to house such a tiny thing properly. :confused: There are also about a dozen fruit flies in there. The guy at the shop said it could stay in there for the time being, but I'd like to give him/her a proper enclosure. What do you guys recommend?

I'm also not sure what kind of substrate I should use. I know I should mist the enclosure about every 2-3 days to keep humidity at a good level. Also, the enclosure would need some sticks and leaves and such. Could I use a tillandsia in there?

I'd love to hear some good pointers regarding the care of these amazing little animals. :)
Thanks a lot in advance.

P.S. They wrote the proper species name on a piece of paper for me, but I somehow managed to lose it. :shifty: I'll give them a call tomorrow, but I believe it was either C. nebulosus or C. urbanus.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Keep things simple. Kitchen roll on the floor (holds a good amount of water and is easily changed, mantids eat alot so crap alot).

4x the height of the enclosure your mantis is long. Not a problem yet and it doesn't need to be but that's for moulting. Don't clutter the enclosure too much. Mantids do and will moult where they want so if you've got loads of decorations there's a chance your mantis will hit 1 whilst moulting.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Thanks! :) Is it okay to add some silk flowers, so it has something to climb on?

And what kind of enclosure would you recommend? Maybe a 500 ml container with some mesh in the lid for ventilation (you know, kind of those things you breed fruit flies in)? Would that be enough ventilation? Or does it need more? And what about misting/keeping humidity at a good enough level? Is it enough to keep the tissue paper moist or should I still mist a couple of times a week?

basin79

ArachnoGod
The enc
Thanks! :) Is it okay to add some silk flowers, so it has something to climb on?

And what kind of enclosure would you recommend? Maybe a 500 ml container with some mesh in the lid for ventilation (you know, kind of those things you breed fruit flies in)? Would that be enough ventilation? Or does it need more? And what about misting/keeping humidity at a good enough level? Is it enough to keep the tissue paper moist or should I still mist a couple of times a week?
If you watch your mantis feed the container size doesn't matter. You can find your mantis and offer the food near and then you can make sure the food gets eaten.

If you mix some natural honey with water you'll actually be able to offer your mantis a drink using a toothpick or similar once he/she is big enough. It might be hard work trying with a tiny mantis.

You could mist a side but don't saturate the enclosure.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Thanks a lot! I really appreciate your great advice. I'll try my best! :happy:

basin79

ArachnoGod
Thanks a lot! I really appreciate your great advice. I'll try my best! :happy:
When your little 1 is bigger you'll be able to use a toothpick and feed him/her honey and it's so fantastic to watch.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
When your little 1 is bigger you'll be able to use a toothpick and feed him/her honey and it's so fantastic to watch.
I can't wait to try that. Sounds amazing! :) And thank god these grow faster than my Ts. :rofl: (I know they also don't live quite as long :()

basin79

ArachnoGod
I can't wait to try that. Sounds amazing! :) And thank god these grow faster than my Ts. :rofl: (I know they also don't live quite as long :()
Unfortunately that's the ONLY downside to mantids for a pet. You get so attached to their personality it just doesn't seem fair that they don't live years. But that's what nature has deemed appropriate so.......

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
These guys only grow maybe a little larger than an inch or so and for a tiny mantis they have pretty large appetites. Cool species and can live in a 32 oz deli cup its whole life.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
32 oz deli I think is too big. They're so small a 16 oz deli should be enough for them as adults. I never use substrate with my mantis, they're never at the bottoms of the enclosures anyway. I like put a paper towel over the top of the deli cup and then lay the lid on top, it gives them something to hang from when molting and just to chill out.
Resized_20180108_191237_8395.jpeg

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I ordered some of these:
Aufzuchtdose.JPG
Do you think this would suffice (it's 5" high and 4,5" in diameter)?

Also, I thought of giving it some kind of a hammock by hanging some of this across the upper part for moulting. It's burlap.
20190207_210138.jpg

Then I wanted to put a wooden stick with an attached silk flower into the enclosure to have a bit of decoration and for the little guy to climb/hang out on. And also a piece of damp paper towel on the ground - as suggested. What do you think? Would that work?

And could you please do me a favour and post some pictures of your enclosures just to get an idea of how it's done? :)

ETA:
Forgot to say... @Greasylake: It looks amazing! Very beautiful! :kiss:

Last edited:

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Actually, 5” is a little too high and yeah I was just stating the maximum length. These guys stay really small so not much room, but the enclosure you have should suffice. It might be a bit more dofficult for the nymph to feed hwoever because of all the extra room.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Okay, I rehoused the little one into this:
20190208_rehouse1.jpg
It's 1 3/4" high and 2 1/2" wide. I clamped some flyscreen under the lid for moulting and gave it a light spritz of water. Will (s)he be fine in there for the next couple of moults?

20190208_rehouse2.jpg

Rehousing it was so easy and cute, it walked right onto my finger and let me carry it into its new home. :happy:

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
That’s perfect! He/she’ll do perfect in there, once she finishes a couple more molts you can then move her.