How to care for an Asian forest Scorpion.

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
Just the basic tank size needed, type of substrate, and how wet I should keep it. Also if I need a heat source or if he'll do good in room temperature. He's a mean guy but I like him so I'd love to keep one!

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
They like some moisture. And depth to burrow. About 5" at least for a adult.

Type of sub is kind of up to you. I prefer peat moss. It absorbs water very poorly at first, but once damp, is amazing. Doesn't mold well either.

70 is a minimum. Mid 70s and even a little higher is more preferable. I'm unaware whether all scorps prefer it very warm (80+) or just some desert species.

I'd say something about the size of a 5 gallon for a adult. Little smaller is fine. I use a ten as I had the space, and traded it's previous occupant.
15348865087212080441568.jpg

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
Thank you! Would a heating pad work for them. My house stays at 71 but I'd love to give him some extra warmth and I'll give him a ten gallon. Next question I just thought of, are they communal?

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
Thank you! Would a heating pad work for them. My house stays at 71 but I'd love to give him some extra warmth and I'll give him a ten gallon. Next question I just thought of, are they communal?
You don’t need any supplemental heat as they are addicted to heat and will roast themselves. I’d personally advise you to gain experience with the species before trying a communual.

InvertAddiction

Arachnoknight
I've never had success with any communal scorpions except C. gracilis. Rule of thumb is a scorpion is communal until it's not.... IME.... more so they are NOT lol. I've heard of a few people successfully housing 2 or 3 adults together and the key is PLENTY of hides and PLENTY of food along with SPACE. I've only witnessed hostility and fighting over hides that resulted in stings and me permanently separating my 2 females into individual 10 gal tanks. I would say no to any heat mat. For substrate I use a mixture of coco fiber and sphagnum moss. It helps hold moisture and I overflow the water dish once a week or so. When the top layer of substrate dries out, I'll mist.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
You don’t need any supplemental heat as they are addicted to heat and will roast themselves. I’d personally advise you to gain experience with the species before trying a communual.
It seema to be reasonably safe as long as you adhere the pad to the SIDE of the enclosure rather than on the bottom. At least I've been running two enclosures that was for a while now with no issues, anyway. I have to, in the winter temps need a boost where I keep the enclosures.

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
It seema to be reasonably safe as long as you adhere the pad to the SIDE of the enclosure rather than on the bottom. At least I've been running two enclosures that was for a while now with no issues, anyway. I have to, in the winter temps need a boost where I keep the enclosures.
I'll use a spaceheater! I always do in the winter, I hate the cold.
I've never had success with any communal scorpions except C. gracilis. Rule of thumb is a scorpion is communal until it's not.... IME.... more so they are NOT lol. I've heard of a few people successfully housing 2 or 3 adults together and the key is PLENTY of hides and PLENTY of food along with SPACE. I've only witnessed hostility and fighting over hides that resulted in stings and me permanently separating my 2 females into individual 10 gal tanks. I would say no to any heat mat. For substrate I use a mixture of coco fiber and sphagnum moss. It helps hold moisture and I overflow the water dish once a week or so. When the top layer of substrate dries out, I'll mist.
what if I had 3 in a 40gallon tank? And I love to feed, so lots of feeding won't be an issue, I breed my own crickets and Dubias. Mostly for my fish, but recently tarantulas, now scorpions.

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
err I say gallon, I think they're like 48" x 12" x 16" or I could use one of my breeders which are 36" x 18" x 16". Whichever would be better.

the league of shadows

Arachnopeon
20170830_015701.png 20170830_015742.png I have a communal setup in a 55 gallon.my first attempt to have a communal setup was not good as alot of fighting broke out.that was a group of ten.so I broke 10 more and mix the groups up and its been awesome since then.