1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How soon can B.hamorii/smithii be told apart?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Blonc, May 15, 2019.

1. Blonc

Blonc Arachnosquire Old Timer

Advertisement
    Just wondering how big the slings have to be in order to tell the differences between the two species.

2. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

sub adults to be sure. Id say 4" range.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blonc

Better work on my trust issues then since far too many seem to still be selling B.hamoriis as B.smithiis.

4. Teal

Teal Arachnoemperor Old Timer

Or only get adult females.

5. Killertut

Killertut Arachnosquire Active Member

Germany
    that's not fun

6. Teal

Teal Arachnoemperor Old Timer

Nope. But if you don't trust that people are selling the species they claim as slings, what other option do you have?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. This. People should really move on and use the correct revisions to avoid confusion between species. Even here in PH, most people call hamoriis as smithis.

8. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

They're the same price here so it's not quite as bad if you get stitched up, obviously it's annoying but I'm not losing money out of it.

Yeah, that's annoying, taxonomy informs the hobby, not the other way around, some people here stubbornly insist that E. sp. "red" is still the proper name for Homoeomma chilensis for example.

9. Blonc

Honestly, I don't have a B.hamorii anymore so getting another wouldn't be all that bad but I've been looking for a B.smithii for a while and they seem to be pretty rare in Sweden. There's so far only one store that I've manage to track down that does have them in stock every now and again and that's the store that uses a picture of a B.hamorii for both species as far as I can tell.