How soon after molting can a Phidippus Audax eat?

pandabacon

Arachnosquire
I have an immature wild caught Phidippus Audax that just molted yesterday and already today is out exploring in it's new fuzzy clothes. It looks a lot slimmer which I know is normal as it was super fat before she molted. How long should I wait before offering her a fly? She/he looks like she is looking for food right now but its only been a day. Is it ok to attempt to feed her/him today?

pandabacon

Arachnosquire
Here's a pic of the back of it's new suit. I can't believe how much different it looks now. Before it looked like a mature Habronattus with Audax markings. Now it looks like a mini Audax. It's like it evolved or leveled up.

Attachments

Last edited:

pandabacon

Arachnosquire
Btw this thing is really active right now hopping around and creating zip lines everywhere. I heard usually they stay still when their exo is still soft. This thing is either living recklessly or is done molting. I think it wants food but Im going to wait one day just to be safe

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
I usually wait a few days. I don't really have a specific number for my true spiders. It mostly depends on size. For this little guy, I might try and give him 4 or 5 days.

I'd say wait 2 days tops. Cute lil spud... :) play it safe and give her small prey that wont fight back. Take those wings off that fly first!

pandabacon

Arachnosquire
I'd say wait 2 days tops. Cute lil spud... :) play it safe and give her small prey that wont fight back. Take those wings off that fly first!
Thanks! Yup I always clip their wings before I feed them. I just catch a housefly or small blue bottle and pop them in the freezer for 4 minutes and then I can easily snip the wings and put them in the enclosure before the fly wakes up. Thanks I will wait 2 days. It just seems so active and hungry but better safe than sorry. It did eat a fly a few days before she molted so I think it's ok without food a few days.

I found the molt yesterday right outside of her molting nest so maybe she molted earlier than yesterday and just kicked the molt when I found it? She has been in her hide for 2 -3 days before emerging today.

Last edited:

pandabacon

Arachnosquire
Good news! The little guy is munching on a fly a little longer than itself right now. It being what I believe is 2nd instar still needs to hone it's hunting skills. About 6 missed jumps it finally got it and this is with the flies wings clipped. I think the exercise is good for them though it def had to work for that fly.