How should i set up a new enclosure for this species

Fishfood0424

Arachnopeon
IMG_6067.JPG I just got this from a local pet store and i was told that this was an arboreal species. Can someone tell me what enclosure i should make for this avicularia spider? Its approximately one inch. Thanks!

jaycied

Arachnoknight
If you have a question about a particular species, always check the search first to see if it's been answered before.

BC1579

Arachnobaron
@Walker253 nailed it. My only complaint with that method is that they sometimes web the top of their enclosure. That can make husbandry difficult, though not impossible.

There’s a neat method of a container within a container that eliminates that issue. It’s in a thread around here somewhere.

I’ve learned that higher cross ventilation allows you to keep the substrate moist without creating condensation up high. This genus is sensitive to over- and under-saturation in terms of moisture. High cross ventilation lets the T find a height it’s comfortable with - higher and drier or lower and moister.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
This is one of my arboreal shelves:

And this is how I keep my Avicularia/Ybyrapora/Caribena juveniles:

I give them fake plants because they incorporate the leaves and petals into their hides and rarely ever go to the substrate, unlike most other arboreal Ts (Poecilotheria, Psalmopoeus, Lampropelma) who instead incorporate substrate into their hides. For the latter-mentioned genera I offer more substrate and cork bark.

The care was mentioned above, but if you'd like some examples of Avicularia enclosures, there you go.

Last edited:

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
Deli cup in the photo is how I keep mine. Minimal ventilation and minimal moisture. The only source of humidity is the vial you see behind the wood. The wood is cedar. Both of my slings have been thriving in these setups for months.

20171219_225255.jpg