1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How should I predict their molting time

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by paccen, Mar 14, 2019.

1. paccen

paccen Arachnopeon Active Member

china
    Advertisement
    Hello! I always don't know when they will molt, which will make it impossible for me to help them when they are in trouble. Who can teach me?

2. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnodemon Old Timer

It depends on things like speicies age temp/food, and the gender. Males grows faster, iften moults more frequent. Some speicies if set up and fed correctly will moult every month when young. The more food you give them, the longer they stay in premoult, but the more they grow between moults! Speicies like a P cancerides ir Lp will moult often and grow much between moults, wheras a G rosea will moult less often, and not grow as much between moults. If you make records you can predict miulting schedule. Feed them much but not overly much. If you make records you can as i said predict moults when young and even as juveniles. If you compare it to the next specimen of the same speicies, kept and fed under the same circumstances. Though individuals ofvthe same speicies can diffrentiate a little

• Like Like x 1
  3. paccen

china
    I will make a record for them, but sometimes I don't know when they shed their skin

4. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoking Active Member

Pre molt signs are usually pretty obvious with most species. You'll see them darken, refuse food and sometimes web heavily.

If you check on the spiders once a day or so you should be able to notice any molts gone wrong in time to help. Theres some instructions in this thread that you may find useful, in the event of a stuck molt. http://arachnoboards.com/threads/po...should-intervene-asap-stuck-tarantula.314670/

5. sasker

sasker Arachnolord Active Member

Molting problems are actually quite rare. Don't fuss over their molting too much. I know it is hard in the beginning :) You want to give them the best care you can give, and you are constantly in fear that something is wrong. But don't worry! Your tarantulas are fine and you will learn to interpret their behaviour soon enough.

Just feed them regularly and stop feeding them when they stop eating. Just make sure they always have access to water.

You can't monitor them 24/7 and you are likely to miss the whole molting process anyway. Don't try to help the tarantula during the molting process as you are most likely doing way more harm than good. You should only help when your tarantula is really stuck. Again, this is very rare.

• Like Like x 1
  6. paccen

china
    thanks, I learned a lot in the post

I do worry about them when they molt. But your explanation put me at ease. It occurred to me that if they died during their molting, they would be eliminated by nature, so I tried to minimize my involvement with them.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  7. sasker

sasker Arachnolord Active Member

They are longer around on this planet than humans. They don't die so easily :)

8. Vanisher

Moulting is not that dangerous that you may think! No need to freak out! I have hundreds of tarantulas during the last 19 years. I have only lost 2 tarantulas to moulting goes wrong! Just keep the tarantulas rightly set up and leave it aline during moulting!

9. paccen

china
    ok,you are right

thanks,bro

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2019
  10. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

Bad moults are a pretty rare occurrence, I could count the amount I've had over 3 years (and close to 100 tarantulas in that time) that resulted in the death of the tarantula on one hand.

I think people get overly paranoid about them happening because every time a bad moult happens there's bound to be a thread about it, successful moults rarely warrant their own threads (apart from the odd excited newbie "my tarantula had its first successful moult in my care" thread).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. paccen

china
    I already know how to do nothing. Thank you for your reminding. At last, I like your avatar very much

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tenebrarius

Tenebrarius Arachnolord Active Member

I once heard that if you sing it a song good night each night it will molt within 10 days. 100% factual trust me I am from the internet I know a lot of this, like how hot your aunt is.

13. Vanisher

What? This guy need help with questions not some redicolous answers! That about his aunt wasnt very nice!

14. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

Ridiculous answers are kind of his speciality tbf :wacky:

15. paccen

china
    Foreign countries do not ban marijuana, there will be a lot of inexplicable guy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1