How should I pack straws for shipping?

SkittleBunny

Arachnosquire
I've been researching the topic for quite a while and I'm still not entirely sure the proper way to pack the straws, after the slings are already packed in them. I kind of want to go with packing many straws in one dram vial.. if that is a reliable method. I had concerns about padding the inside of the vial, or if the slings will have enough oxygen for an overnight trip when packed tightly.. I'm going to purchase lacey act labels, cold and heat packs, insulated boxes and dram vials/straws for packing so I don't have anything to worry about on any legal terms if any.. I'll also be doing overnight shipping with SYR/FedEx only.. I have other questions about when to use heat or cold packs, I'm hoping to do this professionally and with minimal to no losses, I'm just lost on what to do after the slings are packed in the straws. It's probably a silly question.. but I've never shipped before and I don't want my first customer to have a bad experience. Thanks for taking the time to read/reply :)

Theneil

Arachnoprince
@John2097 Ships this way. simplest way i would describe his packaging of the straws is basically he packaged the straws very similar to how a larger T would be shipped. Snuggly in a cushioned,ridged container. He shipped me some TINY slings and all of them arrived in perfect health so i would trust his methods. Maybe he can elaborate more.

John2097

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter
Straw packing is been reliable method in my experience. Spray the paper towel that you’re going to use on the straw but not too damp that you can squeeze some water. Put one or 2 hole on the straw so they’re still some air flow. Overnight wouldn’t be problem even if they’re in the vial. They can last for few days in the vial even I it’s air tight. But Try to put hole on the vial.

If you’re shipping from 80s to 90s temperature. You can use cold pack and Wrap them in newspaper.
Hope it helps :)

SkittleBunny

Arachnosquire
So should I pack straws into a vial, and wrap the vial(s) with bubble wrap and leave them loose in the box among the packing materials or what?

Theneil

Arachnoprince
well you don't want anything LOOSE in the box. The way mine were received the straws were inside of a shallow deli cup with all the extra space filled (with paper towel if memory serves) then the deli cup was taped shut and it was snuggly held in the middle of the box by packing Newspaper under/around/on top of it so that when the package handlers drop kick the box into the trailer, all the babies inside are isolated from the impact.

SkittleBunny

Arachnosquire
well you don't want anything LOOSE in the box. The way mine were received the straws were inside of a shallow deli cup with all the extra space filled (with paper towel if memory serves) then the deli cup was taped shut and it was snuggly held in the middle of the box by packing Newspaper under/around/on top of it so that when the package handlers drop kick the box into the trailer, all the babies inside are isolated from the impact.
Of course not loose loose, I meant just the vials unwrapped within the packing material. I didn't know if I needed to wrap the vials first and then pack it tightly or just pack the vials tightly in the box without them being wrapped in bubble wrap or anything. I'm going to use balled up newspaper as packing material to be sure the vials can't bounce around in the box.

JavaJacketOC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I use straws sometimes...cotton balls on the ends and a chop stick to push them in, I wet one side of cotton well and the other side I leave dry or very lightly mist it