1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How old is the oldest T you've ever seen/owned/heard of?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Moakmeister, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Moakmeister

Moakmeister Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    Advertisement
    I always thought the longest s T could live was 30 years, and that was relegated to the slowest growers like B. smithi and G. porteri. But I've heard of tarantulas lasting longer. @cold blood has a G. porteri that's over 30 now, and showing no signs of slowing down. Dang. So who's your longest lived T? Or the longest lived T you've heard of?

Heck, while we're at it, we could throw scorpions in the bucket too.

2. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Arachnoangel Active Member

It may not be a record breaker, but I was told that my Avicularia avicularia (Twinkle Toes) was seven years old when I got her, which would make her ten now. That is pretty old for the species.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. REEFSPIDER

REEFSPIDER Arachnoknight

There is a T i donot own but regularly see via a friends collection, prior to him acquiring it the t was owned by a middle school science teacher who owned it for 20 years as a pet before it became a class pet for 9 more. And has now been with my friend 2 years. Essentially this T is roughly 31 years old. (Older than I) and It looks aged but doesn't act like it. It is an A. Chacoana. Correct me if im butchering that one.

4. EulersK

EulersK Arachnoengineer Active Member

Not the oldest T, but I had a C. andersoni lived as a mature male for just under two years. Not wildly impressive for NW species, but pretty impressive in my book for an OW.

5. ledzeppelin

ledzeppelin Arachnobaron Active Member

I've heard Brachy's can go over 40.. I have not heard of a T that old though.

6. Moakmeister

Moakmeister Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    I didn't know Avics had shorter lives.

7. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

They are quite short lived relative to other Ts. 8-10 years is pretty old for them.

Keep reading there's a lot for all of us to learn ;)

8. Olan

Olan Arachnobaron Old Timer

Even versicolors? Mine is about 9 years old and I was hoping to have a decent amount of time left with her..

9. viper69

Her days are numbered. Exceptions to norms always.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Paiige

Paiige Arachnobaron

My porteri is my oldest...no idea how old she actually is but I've had her for 8 years and she was probably at least 2 when I got her. A friend of mine supposedly got a female B smithi in the 80s that lived 25 years after he got her. No idea how old she was when he got her but he said she was about 2"

11. viper69

A friend of mine had a smithi make it to 30.

• Like Like x 1
  12. AphonopelmaTX

AphonopelmaTX Moderator Staff Member

My last living Grammostola sp. "porteri" died last month (December 2016) and I had it as an adult female since December 2000 so 16 years. Another G. sp. "rosea" that was my first tarantula ever was with me for about 20-25 years.

• Like Like x 2
  13. VanessaS

VanessaS Arachnobaron

My first tarantula was a wild caught adult female when I got her - a neglected pet shop Grammostola porteri (rosea when I got her). I bought her in August 1999 and she died last spring.