How often will a male curly hair tarantula molt?

SkittleBunny

Arachnosquire
IMG_20170611_160245.jpg I got him in early April from LLLreptile. They were unable to sex it, but I've been told more times that it's male than female. He's about 4.5 inches, and has put on weight since April.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Don't buy from Them in the he future. They are terrbiel arachnid dealers. Often sending wrong species and gender.

Molt frequency varies heavily depending on genus, temperatures, feeding, individual genetics, etc. In other words, there is no real answer. I'd expect a molt once or twice a year. Probably once.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
You wont know the sex until you examine an exuviae and find spermathecae. So dont believe its male just because people have told you it looks like one.

As for how often will it molt, there are many factors that will affect this. Temperature and feeding regime etc. More heat, faster metabolism.. more food, quicker growth. It will probably moult once a year at its current size

Last edited:

SkittleBunny

Arachnosquire
Don't buy from Them in the he future. They are terrbiel arachnid dealers. Often sending wrong species and gender.

Molt frequency varies heavily depending on genus, temperatures, feeding, individual genetics, etc. In other words, there is no real answer. I'd expect a molt once or twice a year. Probably once.
They told me they didn't breed them there but got them from a local breeder. They also said it wasn't sexed and never molted under their care. Maybe it'll molt this year. I had a great experience with them and both my sav. and tarantula I ordered are perfect. Maybe I got lucky.

cold blood

Staff member
a male at that size may very well be penultimate....watch for emboli after next molt.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
They told me they didn't breed them there but got them from a local breeder. They also said it wasn't sexed and never molted under their care. Maybe it'll molt this year. I had a great experience with them and both my sav. and tarantula I ordered are perfect. Maybe I got lucky.
You know males live like a quarter of females, and spend the last year's of their lives wandering endlessly for a mate most people can't provide? You wanted a male for your first spider? Or you didn't know the difference?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
a male at that size may very well be penultimate....watch for emboli after next molt.
Agreed, the MM's don't get much bigger than that. Plus, it'll be a pretty drastic change if/when he matures, B. albopilosum darn near look like a different species as a MM.

SkittleBunny

Arachnosquire
You know males live like a quarter of females, and spend the last year's of their lives wandering endlessly for a mate most people can't provide? You wanted a male for your first spider? Or you didn't know the difference?
I asked for a female and they said they are unsexed but I plan on breeding him.

sasker

Arachnoprince
I asked for a female and they said they are unsexed but I plan on breeding him.
I am always a bit skeptical when a spider that size is unsexed. Could be that they bought a large bunch of these tarantulas from a breeder and they haven't checked for gender. But many sub-adult males are sold as 'unsexed' because they are much more difficult to sell as confirmed males.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I hate to be the immature one, but the title of this thread was cut off on the "most recent" section and it said "How often with a male cu..." and my dirty mind filled in the blank and I was like o_O

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
View attachment 246416 I got him in early April from LLLreptile. They were unable to sex it, but I've been told more times that it's male than female. He's about 4.5 inches, and has put on weight since April.
Is it a mature male ?

A mature male will not molt anymore, and in the rare instances where they try they usually die.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Is it a mature male ?

A mature male will not molt anymore, and in the rare instances where they try they usually die.
Definitely, 100% not mature.

@SkittleBunny, I won't sell my mature female, but my 5.5" girl recently molted and is looking for a male. If he ends up maturing into a male, reach out to me. We can set up a loan. @cold blood and @YagerManJennsen can vouch for me in regards to the loan. Trust me, a loan is better with this species anyway. 1500+ slings is a lot for anyone to handle.