1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How often to rose hairs molt? And how often do you need to change substrate?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Twitterus, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Twitterus

Twitterus Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    I did a search but couldn't find anything, please direct me if I'm wrong.

My friend gave me a baby rose hair t (about the size of a quarter now) in November. I feed her one small/medium cricket every 2-3 weeks, and she has molted once. How often are they suppose to molt? am I not feeding her enough? Also she hasn't burrowed AT ALL since I've had her, but she did when my friend had her. I've tried giving her a hide (half of a toliet paper roll) and she still won't burrow. She just sits on top of the substrate all day. Is that normal?

2. hlb118

hlb118 Arachnopeon

3. Twitterus

Twitterus Arachnopeon

I didn't see anything in the care guide (which I read when I signed up) about how often they molt. I also didn't see anything about if I should/how often I should chance soil.

So, those links weren't a how lot of help to me.

4. xhexdx

xhexdx ArachnoGod Old Timer

Ok then...

A spider's molt frequency depends on several factors:

Temperature
    Feeding schedule
    Species

If you keep your G. rosea sling around 80 degrees F and feed it once every two weeks, expect a molt from it in 3-6 months, in my opinion.

There is no reason to change substrate unless it molds or is otherwise deemed 'bad'.

Also, remove the toilet paper roll. It'll be moldy before you know it and is not an acceptable hide.

Again, my opinion.

5. Shell

Shell ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker Staff Member

Unless you have a mold issue (which you shouldn't since G. rosea's like it dry) you won't need to change the substrate, just be sure to remove uneaten food and food boluses to avoid molding. As far as molting, there is no hard and fast rule that a G. rosea will molt "this often." They are slow growers though. As far as feeding, I feed all of mine once a week, if they don't take it, I wait until the next weeks feeding (obviously if they have just molted I wait but that's my general rule.)

6. Twitterus

Twitterus Arachnopeon

Thank you :). I also did find the bit about t's not burrowing in the guide, so at least it answered that question lol.

7. xhexdx

They are more likely to burrow as slings than as adults, but that doesn't mean they always will or always won't. Every spider has its own quirks.

Oh, and thanks for the plug, hlb118! ;)

8. Depends if it's male or female, also depends on how old it is in years. Typically a younger spider molts more often, usually once a month. And as you may have guessed a Rosy that's 5 yrs. may only molt once every 3 months. Also a male spider will molt faster than a female spider, that's why in a batch of slings you can tell the males from the females after a month or 2. Say for example there was a girl you liked, but you are to young for her. So your hormones kick in and you grow really really fast, and in a week you can go out with her. Same thing with spiders just over a longer period of time. Confusing but you will understand in a few years when it gets big and looks for a male or makes a sperm web. Keep in touch with me by private messaging and I can explain it more.:cool:

9. xhexdx

Sorry...the above post, while meant well, is quite wrong. Please ignore it.

No offense, myles.

10. Twitterus

Twitterus Arachnopeon

:? Okay then.

She (Rosealie) is probably no more than a year old. Here is a picture of her so you can see her size
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[EDIT] Let me rephrase that, I don't know what the gender is but I just dubbed her a female lol. I guess I won't know until it's an adult.

11. xhexdx

Still difficult to tell size by a picture like that unless you have something as a reference (a quarter, for example).

12. Twitterus

Twitterus Arachnopeon

Okay, i'll get a picture with her next to something when I get home tomorrow.

13. Falk

Falk Arachnodemon

Please dont call them baby or babies, spiderling or sling sounds better:)

14. +1......... Do note that G. rosea are known slow growers. Welcome to the obsession.

15. Twitterus

Twitterus Arachnopeon

Ha, ok. I wasn't sure if slings were just the REALLY young ones, or what the definition of a juvenile was.

16. Falk

Falk Arachnodemon

Not just you, theres a lot of people calling them babies:)

17. oh thank god, i love my AF G.rosea, and want it to moult but not every three months. isn't the correct timeline for a 5yr old more like once every 8-12mos if healthy and acting "normal" (which is subjective to rosea, but i think you know what i mean)?

please correct if i'm wrong and sorry to the OP for getting slightly offtopic.

18. xhexdx

Molt frequency is determined more by the variables I listed earlier, not by age.

19. robd

robd Arachnobaron

Yeah man. Normally you're quite the cynic Joe, but I don't know where the heck this guy gathered this misinformation from.