How often can I handle my chilean rose hair?

splangy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, except you've got 90% of the last 15 years experience in your own admission. That's going to give you skill that other people don't have.

And my argument is not that you can tell when they're going to throw a threat pose... it's that you know how to keep them from throwing a threat pose in the first place. You're doing things subconsiously. You're probably just a lot more in tune with your Ts than the average person.

I agree that you haven't been lucky for the last 15 years. You've developed skills during that time. Your Ts are just Ts.

It's occham's razor here... the simplest explanation is that you're skilled at handling. The complicated explanation is that you've somehow developed skills in your Ts that parallel NOTHING they have in their arsenal of possible adaptations. One requires practice, motor control, and interpersonal intelligence. The other requires magic and the biological impossible.

Also... my hypothesis CAN be tested... If you attempt to handle 10 Ts that have never been handled, and they stay calm, obviously, it's you.

Last edited:

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
1st: Theres no proof of you handling T's for 15 years.

2nd: Even if that was the truth, and even if you have handle them almost every day, does not mean that they can be trained, AT ALL.

3rd: Just as an FYI, I have been around playing with spiders since I learned how to walk, and keeping Theraphosids for 14 years.I knwo what im giving opinion about.

Ps: Gravity is precisely the constant scientist still dont have totally figured out yet, so yeah...lets leave that subject. ;)

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh,I forgot to say that the possibility of being "lucky" during 15 years IS POSSIBLE, the probability is low, but POSSIBLE. ;)

Singapore_Blue1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Fran,
As I said in an earlier post you may have 14 years of experience but if you don't handle them then that equals 0 years of experience in the area that we are talking about here. Clearly you don't handle your T's and frankly since you don't handle them your knowledge is limited in this area. This would be my area not yours since I am hands on with them.

Also I don't take random spiders. All of my T's I've raised from slings. So would your H. mac probably try to bite me I would say yes. Which by the way proves that it isn't me as proposed in an earlier post since I can't just take random spiders. However I'll be more than happy to free handle my H. lividum, P. metallica, Xenesthis sp white, or P. ultramarinus.I feel that raising them and handling them from babies does get them accustomed to the handling. Thus they may see me as part of their natural environment....

Last edited:

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I hope you're willing to bring them with you down here, then.

Or, at the very least, take a video and post it here to show us.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
The response wasn't even quality, it was just a random tidbit of information :spam:

How did you even find this thread?

cold blood

Staff member
The response wasn't even quality, it was just a random tidbit of information :spam:

How did you even find this thread?
Maybe he's an aspiring archeologist?

Look, right next to that dinosaur footprint...its...its...a thread about handling rosehairs!!!:eek:

cold blood

Staff member
Carbon dating shows this thread to be 4.5 billion years old.

(this will only be funny if you actually read the whole thread)

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Dead threads are awesome. Stop bashing those :( They are just poor wandering internet ghosts, sometimes they love to appear, like Homer, in and out:

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
simple answer... as little as possible they don't like being handed and it stresses them out. plus handling them less prevents any accidents from happening like dropping them to their death or you getting bitten by them. but if you want to handle them often I personally say no more than once per week for 5 minutes at a time.