How often can I handle my chilean rose hair?

Smitty78

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I will hold it for an hour if you wish. See unlike Tarantulas, I have been into snakes for over 24 years and have no problem with holding a hot. Even owned a few when I was younger. Nothing hard about holding a hot. Simply hold it behind it's head and problem solved. If it is a big king, then it might take two hands. Besides, comparing somthing that can kill you to a G. rosea is hardly the same thing. Not even close.
Don't hate just because some of us like to hold our T's. You don't see me complaining because you don't like to hold yours do you?;)
Why you so uptight anyways? All I did was ask him if he has held it yet.
No reason. No reason at all. Ignorance is bliss. You have one of those down for sure.

p.s. remind me to throw my cell in the toilet before you come over. Just in case ya know!

Avicularia Man

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No reason. No reason at all. Ignorance is bliss. You have one of those down for sure.

p.s. remind me to throw my cell in the toilet before you come over. Just in case ya know!
Still uptight I see. That's ok. I have come to expect no less from people here like you.
What's wrong? No big comeback once I put it out there I am no newb with reptiles huh? Heh figures. And throwing your cell into the toilet....no I don't get what you mean. Is this some weird fetish of yours I should be watching out for or something? Not understanding the point of throwing a phone in a toilet. That's just weird behavior if you ask me.:embarrassed:

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not that you'll see this, but he's referring to having no way to call the paramedics when you get tagged.

Seemed pretty obvious to me...

CMAC

Arachnopeon
Shut-up Fran

Go get a book and learn something, do yourself a favor.
I paid 20 dollars on a book that teaches you everything that a novice tarantula owner should know.It even tells you how to hold a tarantula and I've learned a lot from that book.The book is called "The Tarantula Keeper Guide".So shut-up Fran and learn that this thread is for "How long you should hold a tarantula". :? Well congrats Fran for learning how to be stupid :embarrassed: and post on threads that your not helping the tarantula owner at all! {D Oh yeah bye-bye to this thread because no one is helping driller.

Mad Hatter

Arachnofriend
Old Timer
Oh my... C... there's no need for that! Fran is a great guy. Really. :)

AS per the OP...

I agree that a content T is a T that is never handled. And no, I am not "against" handling altogether.

Here is the way I see it.

Handling the T:

This is something that you (as the Ts owner) do for your own personal pleasure.

You and you alone derive enjoyment out of this, and since we can't know what the T thinks/feels about being handled... well, here are the possible consequences should you choose to handle your T and something should go wrong:

At best, the T will get nothing out of it (as far as we know) aside from a brief stroll upon some strange arm-shaped "branches."

At worst, the T could fall and become injured. The T might also get stressed being out of its enclosure, its comfort zone.

It might bite you - always something to be aware of, not afraid of, just be respectful of the T.

Should it bite you, will you reflexively jerk away and drop or otherwise harm the T?

Personally? I don't know what my first response would be, as I have yet to get bitten by one of my Ts. And I certainly don't ever handle my Ts unless I am mentally prepared to do so. I make myself focus on the T, not myself - realizing that if it bites me, I will sit there calmly and take the bite. Hopefully, should that bite ever occur, I will be able to do that and not instinctively react to physical stimuli in a manner that would harm my T. THIS reason is why I handle my Ts only sparingly - because I would hate to be the cause of my Ts demise/injury.

After you take all that into consideration, handling Ts is very rewarding and is a nice way to enjoy your pet.

I handle my Ts VERY VERY VERY infrequently, but when I do, I am careful and I do enjoy it. I enjoy it. It would be very arrogant to assume that the T must be deriving enjoyment, so I don't handle my Ts for long amounts of time. Just a few minutes - and I mean a FEW, as in 3-4 mins, sometimes less. There is no set time parameter.

Again, I do agree with the "do not handle your T" rule of thumb, but I do handle mine now and again... at my own risk, at my Ts risk.

Someone on these boards said (quite eloquently, in fact) that Ts are best kept as if they were fine plants or orchids - beautiful to look at, rewarding to grow and to keep, but don't touch them unless you absolutely must. There is simply no need and you may end up doing harm to the Ts you love.

Last edited:

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I paid 20 dollars on a book that teaches you everything that a novice tarantula owner should know.It even tells you how to hold a tarantula and I've learned a lot from that book.The book is called "The Tarantula Keeper Guide".So shut-up Fran and learn that this thread is for "How long you should hold a tarantula". :? Well congrats Fran for learning how to be stupid :embarrassed: and post on threads that your not helping the tarantula owner at all! {D Oh yeah bye-bye to this thread because no one is helping driller.

You are showing absolut ignorance.

Last edited:

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
@Mad Hatter,

mI too feel the "need" of holding them very often, I just preffer to do whats best for them and in the long run, best for me which is not to handle them.
But of course I have done it several times :), and if you are gonna do it, at least as you said do it for a short period of time, and be ready for anything.

PSD: How are you doing Hannah!!!! ;)

DMBizeau

Arachnopeon
I too feel the "need" of holding them very often, I just preffer to do whats best for them and in the long run, best for me which is not to handle them.
But of course I have done it several times :), and if you are gonna do it, at least as you said do it for a short period of time, and be ready for anything.
well put Fran.

Arachnopets

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
Admin Note

I've been handling my tarantula for the past 2 days. :clap: She doesn't seem to mind.
Did she tell you this, herself? :wall:

I paid 20 dollars on a book that teaches you everything that a novice tarantula owner should know.
Please define what you mean by "everything" and what how much you paid for it has to do with anything at all?

There is NOTHING out there that will teach you "everything", period. Not any book, not any website, nothing. You know why? Because no one can possibly know "everything". I mean you are just being plain old silly now. :?

Now as for the OP original question, I always like to respond with this: would you handle a goldfish? Assuming your answer is no, then it's pretty much the same thing IMHO. If you are wondering if there is any "official rule or law" or specified or designated or approved amount of time, there is not. It would boil down to your own personal preference (and the tarantula's, of course). Remember, the only one who gains anything at all from holding/handling a tarantula is you. ;)

And yes, a less than 60 second search of simply "handle" would have alerted you to much that you have already witnessed in this thread. :)

Oh and because this is my new favorite post, please I urge you all to remind yourselves here:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showpost.php?p=1571068&postcount=44

:D

"She who rules He who rules" has spoken. :p

Debby

Steve Calceatum

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well, this was a fun read. Though, I am impressed that there were....wait, there weren't any posts shoving the DO NOT HANDLE rhetoric down the OP's throat. I am thrilled to see the growth within the forum regarding this topic!!!

But the fighting has got to stop!!! We all keep T's, and freehandling is a personal choice. Everyone handles (given that I am a career "Material Handler," I define handling as the second you touch the enclosure), but not everyone feels inclined to have their bugs crawling on them. And that's ok too!!!

Personally, I enjoy interacting with my spiders. But that is my choice, and not a wrong one either. I do not see the risks and dangers the same way everyone else does. I see it as projected fears. Rather than listen to the fear, be prepared (all safety precautions and tools in place), and use what I know about that spider to guide me. I "listen" to my T's....I let them tell me if they will allow me to interact with them. They also tell me when they are done. If you're prepared, and know your T, there is no reason to fear.

Being in a state of fear (as opposed to being reasonably cautious), the tarantula will pick up on it. Honestly, those who are afraid of something going wrong should not be playing with venomous creatures, because that is when things will really go wrong!!!! I say freehandle as long as the T is cool with it, but be smart about it.......just because my Rosie will sit and watch a movie with me doesn't mean she should be out that long, or have our dinner and movie dates every day. Far be it from me to tell you what to do with your T's, but before you make these decisions, I urge you to practice a bit of restraint as well.

Oh...for the record: NONE of my T's are any more or less stressed by freehandling than they are during rehousing or feeding or any time I have to be in their enclosures. After it's done, and they realign themselves with their environment, they are not bothered at all.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Remember, the only one who gains (or loses) anything at all from holding/handling a tarantula is you. ;)
Tell that to the spider that was mishandled and fell 4 feet to the ground, rupturing its abdomen. :}

I'd say the only one who gains anything would be the human, but both parties are at risk to lose.

Oh...for the record: NONE of my T's are any more or less stressed by freehandling than they are during rehousing or feeding or any time I have to be in their enclosures. After it's done, and they realign themselves with their environment, they are not bothered at all.
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you.

With respect, nobody can accurately say whether the tarantula is stressed more, less, or at all. We assume they do stress out, and we (as responsible tarantula owners) try to minimize their stress level as best as we can.

Just my thoughts. :rolleyes:

Steve Calceatum

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Thanks for pointing that out, Joe. I do sometimes overlook the fact that we do not know for sure what's up with tarantula psychology. Conversely, using that argument, how can we say that the T does not appreciate being freehandled???

Just a little more food for thought. :p

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You're right, we can't say for sure. I would say, however, that it is more likely they prefer to remain on familiar ground.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Good post xsyorra, i do this too, but i respect people who dont, it is a personal choice. I have been to many private homes with people who chants "no handling" around to every post even though the handling question is not asked. And many of them handle their T´s to show them when guest arrive, and many who say they handle alot, and when guests arrive dont have the nerve to do it. So i mostly dont bother discussing the subject, being on the internet is another world than IRL for sure.

It is sad to see these threads going down the toilet with these flame wars all the time. It would be nice to see people respecting other peoples views, but i guess i wont see that in my lifetime;(

As for beginners, handling is allways exciting because everything is new, normal for everyone. Mostly when this is tried, your admiration for the animal changes to other things instead handling, because they have tried it out.

Just my opinion.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for pointing that out, Joe. I do sometimes overlook the fact that we do not know for sure what's up with tarantula psychology.
Thank you for putting that so civilly, I almost fell out of my chair.(actually i am on the couch;)) Two people disagreeing a little without taking it to the mat! That's so nice!:D

Conversely, using that argument, how can we say that the T does not appreciate being freehandled???
No, we cannot speak for a T, we can only examine its behavior to try and determine its 'mood.' However, people won't agree on that part. What we interpret from our Ts may be interpreted differently by the next.

Our Ts do not seem to enjoy handling, judging by their behavior.

Are they handled? Yes, when moving enclosures and on impromptu photo shoots during feeding time.(this is usually when they decide to venture out of the enclosure)

Do i think it hurts them, no, as long as we take the proper precautions. However, just because precautions are taken, there isn't a guarantee that no harm will come to either party.

That is why it is up to each T keeper to make their own decision about it. No one can really do it for you.......:D

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is why it is up to each T keeper to make their own decision about it. No one can really do it for you.......:D
:clap:

If one were to search the forums for all the "debates" (<--very conservative term in some cases) over handling, one might go insane wondering how the above quote escapes so many, so often. Of course, this mantra is absent in too many forums in life altogether, but that may be a conversation for the watering hole. No....wait...

Buckwheat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Dear Xian,

I'm not sure where you went to school, but i beg to differ with you. The earth is somewhere around 4.5 billion years old. I might be off on my tarantula dates as it was just off the top of my head but tarantulas walked the earth with the some of the biggest reptiles on earth some 280 million years ago. In other words..Dinosaurs!

Thank you very much.

Xian

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dear Xian,

I'm not sure where you went to school, but i beg to differ with you. The earth is somewhere around 4.5 billion years old. I might be off on my tarantula dates as it was just off the top of my head but tarantulas walked the earth with the some of the biggest reptiles on earth some 280 million years ago. In other words..Dinosaurs!

Thank you very much.
Buckwheat,
I know where I went to school at, and that is where they taught us that 450,000,000 million, is not 4.5 billion, 4,500 million is 4.5 billion.

But Thanks for trying to educate me, maybe you should consult your school next time.:)