How much should I feed my Avic Avic?

Arveris

Arachnopeon
My Avic avic (or pink toe) is 3 inches in leg span and I was just wondering how much I should feed it? No idea of its sex it has not molted since I have gotten it and it doesn't have hooks. Thank you for the help!

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
One or two large crickets a week should be plenty. If the prey is smaller you can use more at once, depending on the size.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
My Avic avic (or pink toe) is 3 inches in leg span and I was just wondering how much I should feed it?
At 3'' you can feed appropriately sized meals 1-2 times per week.
No idea of its sex it has not molted since I have gotten it and it doesn't have hooks.
Just so you know many species do not possess tibial hooks. For that reason its best to rely on emboli to determine maturity.

Share some pics of your enclosure if you can as well, new keepers tend to make mistakes with the housing of this genus. Sometimes they don't know until its too late...

Last edited:

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
Probably eat one or maybe two crickets a week would be enough, my AF will vary between the two from week to week.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My Avic avic (or pink toe) is 3 inches in leg span and I was just wondering how much I should feed it? No idea of its sex it has not molted since I have gotten it and it doesn't have hooks. Thank you for the help!
As often as it will eat. I do this until they reach about 4-5-", then they slow down a bit.

Arveris

Arachnopeon
At 3'' you can feed appropriately sized meals 1-2 times per week.

Just so you know many species do not possess tibial hooks. For that reason its best to rely on emboli to determine maturity.

Share some pics of your enclosure if you can as well, new keepers tend to make mistakes with the housing of this genus. Sometimes they don't know until its too late...
Here are some pictures of his enclosure. I know 10g tanks and screens that open from the top aren't the best for this species but its the best they had around here (aren't many pet stores to chose from) he crawls around regularly and is making webbing in the vines so I think the little guy is enjoying himself

Attachments

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Here are some pictures of his enclosure. I know 10g tanks and screens that open from the top aren't the best for this species but its the best they had around here (aren't many pet stores to chose from) he crawls around regularly and is making webbing in the vines so I think the little guy is enjoying himself
Looks like an enormous home for a T of that size, but still workable.

As for the setup, you have the necessities down but there are some quick changes to be made. Opt for a larger water dish, especially considering the size of your enclosure.

The fake leaves and any cover should be placed towards the top end of the setup, somewhere around that cork slab would be ideal. Placed as is currently, it will only serve to help feeders hide.

Arveris

Arachnopeon
Looks like an enormous home for a T of that size, but still workable.

As for the setup, you have the necessities down but there are some quick changes to be made. Opt for a larger water dish, especially considering the size of your enclosure.

The fake leaves and any cover should be placed towards the top end of the setup, somewhere around that cork slab would be ideal. Placed as is currently, it will only serve to help feeders hide.
Okay thank you for the help and the recommendations! I got a bigger eater dish but is it okay if I put it in a big open space in its enclosure or would I need to put it more up?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Okay thank you for the help and the recommendations! I got a bigger eater dish but is it okay if I put it in a big open space in its enclosure or would I need to put it more up?
It actually varies by individual. Some Avics will go down and drink from water dishes on the ground. Some, like my elderly female, seem to forget about the dish on the ground and will only drink from an elevated dish.

Also, if you think your Avic is not drinking, you can drip some water onto its web.

Arveris

Arachnopeon
It actually varies by individual. Some Avics will go down and drink from water dishes on the ground. Some, like my elderly female, seem to forget about the dish on the ground and will only drink from an elevated dish.

Also, if you think your Avic is not drinking, you can drip some water onto its web.
Thanks for your help!

scott99

Arachnoknight
Once a week or so. The nice things about t's is how little they eat.

cold blood

Staff member
Nothing wrong with top opening enclosures...every single arboreal I own is in a top opening enclosure...zero issues ever.

That said, you really need to modify things for an avic. All the stuff on the ground, plants, wood, need to be elevated. Cover at ground level is just hiding places for feeders....Avics really want to make their homes at elevated positions. Get some wood, lean it and surround the wood (the upper parts of the wood) with the plants.
Water dish(es) should be really the only thing on the ground aside from the base of the wood.

Last edited:

Arveris

Arachnopeon
Nothing wrong with top opening enclosures...every single arboreal I own is in a top opening enclosure...zero issues ever.

That said, you really need to modify things for an avic. All the stuff on the ground, plants, wood, need to be elevated. Cover at ground level is just hiding places for feeders....Avics really want to make their homes at elevated positioned. Get some wood, lean it and surround the wood (the upper parts of the wood) with the plants.
Water dish(es) should be really the only thing on the ground aside from the base of the wood.
Cool thank you!

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I know 10g tanks and screens that open from the top aren't the best for this species
Opening from the top is not a bad thing, but you have to be aware that Avicularia often web right at the top of the enclosure. That results in opening the top and often having the spider right there under the lid with easy access to leaving the enclosure. You just have to take precautions - especially with those enclosures that don't have a lid that you can see through.
I try to place the cork bark and plants, at least, an inch from the lid in the hopes that they web a bit away from it. That doesn't always work, though, and they still web right to the top.