How much life is left in this little guy

Spiderguy47

Arachnoknight
My male Heteroscodra Maculata matured 18 days ago. How long do the mature males of this species normally live?

Devin B

Arachnobaron
Im by no means an H. Mac expert, but i think MM usually live like a year or two.

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
My male Heteroscodra Maculata matured 18 days ago. How long do the mature males of this species normally live?
You should think about posting him in the invertsonals. He could meet the lady of his dreams and you could do a breeding loan or outright sell him. You could even ask for him back after he breeds, he'd just go on a little trip.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
As long as the female let's him ;)...

I have never kept a MM H.mac for more than a few months. Once they mature I give them about a month to harden, hydrate and eat a few crickets and then they get paired.

The longest I have had a male rotate between females before he got munched is about a month. I would imagine they can last close to a year if not paired or if paired carefully.. I don't make a point of supervising this species breeding. Mature males are always available and I get better sacs when the female eats the male.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
How do you know when a male of this species is mature? I know they don't have tibial hooks. The ends of the pedipalps are already a bit larger on an arboreal species -- will they be noticeably even larger or otherwise look different on a mature male?

I did some searching, but could not find this information. :confused:

My male recently molted and might be 4" DLS now but does not otherwise look different as far as I can tell. I expect that he will mature this year.

boina

Lady of the mites
You look at their abdomen part of their moult and look for the flap. No flap=Male. Flap=Female
That wasn't the question. It is already known that he's male. The question is: is he mature? :meh:

@ErinM31 The pedipalps will not be larger but shorter, actually, and rounded at the end. You won't be able to find toes.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
How do you know when a male of this species is mature? I know they don't have tibial hooks. The ends of the pedipalps are already a bit larger on an arboreal species -- will they be noticeably even larger or otherwise look different on a mature male?

I did some searching, but could not find this information. :confused:

My male recently molted and might be 4" DLS now but does not otherwise look different as far as I can tell. I expect that he will mature this year.
The males of this species turn brown and lose most contrast in coloration upon maturing.. They also take on a very whispy, feathery, pipe cleaner look.

They have tiny bulbous pedipalps upon maturing that are dark red but they can be a bit hard to spot.

There is no mistaking a MM H.mac though.. They look completely different after they mature.

Last edited:

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
That wasn't the question. It is already known that he's male. The question is: is he mature? :meh:

@ErinM31 The pedipalps will not be larger but shorter, actually, and rounded at the end. You won't be able to find toes.
The males of this species turn brown and lose most contrast in coloration upon maturing.. They also take on a very whispy, feathery, pipe cleaner look.

They have tiny bulbous pedipalps upon maturing that are dark red but they can be a bit hard to spot.

There is no mistaking a MM H.mac though.. They look completely different after they mature.
Thank you so much! :) I'm glad to know there will be changes I can't miss and happy to have my beautiful boy for a while longer yet! :kiss: