How much experience for a Scolopendra?

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
Yeah I think thats the guy he told me about he was from Kansas and he chopped down trees for a living because he saw me looking at his arms with splinters and blisters in them.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I'll also voice for S. polymorpha. However, if you can find them, Ethmostigmus trigonopodus, Scolopendra angulata and Scolopendra heros are also good for beginners (though heros is a good deal bigger, more aggressive and venomous than the rest).

In regards to setup, I actually use a shallower substrate than most, typically about 5cm. I add several dried leaves and bits of bark to the enclosure, as well as damp sphagnum moss. While the substrate is deep enough for the pedes to burrow in if they wish, they usually prefer to just hide under the leaves and bark. This has the added benefit of allowing me to see my pedes more often. I can count on all of mine being out every night, and the ones I've had for longer are often out all day as well.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
No ones going to say S. mutilans? I’m throwing it out there. Yes the bite isn’t fun but it isn’t as debilitating as S. dehaani and they’re quite cheap when imported. They’re also pretty small. But hey polymorpha’s are always great. I’ve got like 9 of them. :)

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I’d vote for S polymorpha and you will have no problem collecting them here in CA.
S mutilans was mentioned. If anyone knows who has them please let me know.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for all of the replies!!! I'm guessing the large plastic cheese puff jar will be enough to house a polymorphs. If so how many inches should I fill it up if it's about a foot tall?
I have two Scolopendra polymorpha, one I’ve had for about a year, the other is much more recent. I have used a gallon jar and tall tubs with locking lids. I greatly prefer the tubs. It is easier to get into the container when I want to clean a water dish or move something, and the centipede has a lot more room to roam around. This also makes hunting more interesting.

One thing I was not aware of when I got my S. polymorpha:
They tend to prefer rather small small prey items, about the size of their heads. They will occasionally tackle larger food items when really hungry, but they really seem to avoid larger food items most of the time. I was wondering what was wrong with our first centipede. She seemed to avoid live crickets, would take prekilled, but I offered a mealworm and she pounced without hesitation. I found a post of this site talking about appropriate prey size, and I offered a cricket the size of her head, and she went for that. My younger, newer ’pede is a voracious hunter, and I always offer appropriately sized crickets.

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
Just a quick question but what’s the difference between the Haitian Giant Centipede and Scolopendra Alternans?

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Just a quick question but what’s the difference between the Haitian Giant Centipede and Scolopendra Alternans?
Hispaniola has two morphs of S. alternans, one having a brownish orange body with darker stripes and yellow legs. The other is a deep red with lighter orange legs. Both morphs can be referred to as Haitian Giants, a name also used for the entirety of S. alternans despite them having a much larger range than just Haiti.
Would you guys happen to know particular spots where I could find some?
San Diego County has some very colorful polys, usually a light tan with lovely blue cast to all of their segments and a dark orange head. If you happen to live deeper into the desert there are nice patternless tan morphs you can collect.
Look for polys under rock slabs or dead wood. Rotting cactus skeletons are apparently good places to find them. Any piece of material that looks like it can trap moisture or is close to water is also a good hiding spot for them because they tend to seek out moisture. As far as distribution, almost all of California has polymorphs so I doubt you will have to go very far to catch some.

For care, I would give polys about 3" of substrate. A good mix of sand/cocofiber and if you want, some soil from where the 'pede is from will do nicely, just remember to keep it lightly moist but never humid.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
I’d vote for S polymorpha and you will have no problem collecting them here in CA.
S mutilans was mentioned. If anyone knows who has them please let me know.
I have mutilans, but they are the red-legged morph which myself and others have found to be very weak and susceptible to disease with an odd temperament. If you want mutilans I suggest buying the yellow-legged morph over any others. They are nice 'pedes, although they are very shy and skittish.

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
Would you guys recommend any people on the forums who sell centipedes such as polymorpha,mutilans, and alternans?

NYAN

Arachnoking
I’ve yet to see someone selling mutilans, check the classifieds though.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
I only keep tarantulas and a scorpion as of now, however I've thought of getting an S. polymorpha. I would probably go with that for a first centipede.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
It’s a known area. I personally know of some very nice aqua morphs caught there.

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
RTTB
Oh really!!!?
Wow. Would you happen to know what areas they can be found there? If so what time of year would be the best? I also fully understand if you would like to keep your spots private. I’m just surprised they can be found there I’d thought they’d be more inland.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
If I had the locations pin dropped I would send a couple your way. Go inland a bit and find boulder strewn low grass fields and start flipping. Be on the lookout for rattlers who are waking up and prowling about. Drainage ditches with eroding face are good spots too.