How much do you care about enclosures, with regards to aesthetics?

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Sent you a PM, not sure if I can mention brand names or not.
You can mention brand names, item numbers, what store you buy things from, etc. all day long. Just don't include a link to an online store where other people can click and buy the items. That is considered advertising or an endorsement. People these days are skilled enough to use Google to search for the store and items if they want to look into buying an item.

My tarantula enclosures are made up of a variety of Kritter Keepers, Solo 16 fl. oz. condiment cups, and a variety of Container Store brand "Our Storage Boxes". I have some tarantulas housed in various Sterlite containers as well. My favorite containers for smaller to medium sized fossorial species such as Aphonopelma are the large/ tall Sterilte Show Offs. Although those seem to be rare in stores these days. I hate it when manufacturers discontinue containers that work perfectly for housing tarantulas.

Giant tarantulas such as Theraphosa species are housed in the Container Store "Our Jumbo Box" (SKU# 10008764). The only downside to the Container Store brand boxes are that the lids on shoe box styles are loose fitting and don't latch easily.

Aesthetics are not useful to me or to the tarantulas. All my tarantulas need are cheap plastic boxes, soil, and something to hide in or under.

Last edited:

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Aesthetics are not useful to me or to the tarantulas. All my tarantulas need are cheap plastic boxes, soil, and something to hide in or under.
This ^....K.I.S.S. system of doing most everything,T keeping,to putting my pants on
in the morning.:bored:.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I care more that the enclosures are mostly the same sort so there are unity! Long time ago i had all adult tarantulas in fancy glass terrariums, but nowdays i use mainly "Smartstore" tubs! They are practical and looks good

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Literally my only concerns regarding enclosures are;

- Is it suitable for the species that I want to house in it?
- Is it escape-proof?
- Can I see into it with a flashlight?

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
Definitely like a display type case. Very important to me. I only have two T's right now and will add a third and that will probably be it for my collection. I dislike the design of most commercial enclosures, so I make my own. My wife has asked to decorate the arboreal when the time comes to move over my C. versicolor.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Aesthetics mean nothing to me, the comfort of the enclosures inhabitant is all that matters to me. That is why I have most of my adults in sterilite bins. Only a select few get the fancy treatment.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I used to buy KKs and tall acrylics for arboreals, now I mostly diy my own from things like trophy cases, beverage dispensers, food containers etc. I try arrange cage furniture in a pleasant looking manner, although with the animal's needs coming first, of course.

Rouxd

Arachnopeon
Sent you a PM, not sure if I can mention brand names or not.
I would also love to know what brand it is, if I may.

For me, I also enjoy having clear acrylic enclosures. I don't have many t's so I like using amac boxes and such for slings, then the display model car ones from hobby lobby and critter keepers depends on t size. After I move, I'll aim to do something like nicodemus has there. That's an excellent set up!

GalacticFurai

Arachnopeon
Just as the others say on this thread, function over form
buuuuut
It doesnt hurt to spice things up

For example, I made my A. Albopilosum's enclosure into a sort of small, long lost city. She ruined it soon after

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
I put aesthetic over functionality :) I don't have hundreds of Ts so All my adult females have good looking glass enclosures. Made only with natural decorations. Plastic shoe box with substrate and hide will be enough. But I want to mimic T natural habitat and use it as decoration of my living room, not just breeding container.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, i dont see why one has to choose between functionality and asthetics! Glassterrariums today are exellent! I have built my own and i have used the type of glasstereariums that is common in Germany and Poland! For me one of the fun aspects of the hobby was to build my own terrariums!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I'm somewhere in the middle. I have a few display enclosures, but I also have some that are mainly functional (with limited decoration, such as a fake plant to add a little color).

If I had more space, I'd probably have more display enclosures.