How much do you care about enclosures, with regards to aesthetics?

Minty

@londontarantulas
I'm not talking about the appropriateness of an enclosure, for a given species, as that is clearly of paramount importance when it comes to housing a tarantula. The correct setup is always priority. Take that as read.

Also ignore slings and their various array of temporary enclosures.

How much do you care about the aesthetics of adult tarantula enclosures? I like to have nice enclosures for display, but mainly for females of my favourite species. I've recently started making my own clear acrylic enclosures from scratch, and I think I'll end up having most of my AF collection in these, eventually. So I care about the aesthetics of enclosures, more so the enclosure, than the decor inside. I don't do much decoration on the inside of the enclosure other than webbing points and things to climb on.

What about you?

Last edited:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I love acrylic. It's not cheap, but I want to see them as much as possible without having to touch the containers.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Since I only have 2 Ts as of right now I'd say I care about their enclosures and how they look. With my G. rosea though it's difficult since the sterilite I bought isn't as crystal clear as I'd hope so the setup looks sort of dismal with the foggy plastic. When my A. chalcodes reaches adult size in a good ten years or so ( :rofl: ) I plan on splurging on a nice big acrylic enclosure and decorating it nicely. But as of right now as long as I can see my Ts and they seem happy, I'm happy.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
My goal is to have a few shelves of these for the AF's and keep males and slings in more utilitarian conditions.
20190202_182613.jpg

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I love acrylic. It's not cheap, but I want to see them as much as possible without having to touch the containers.

I agree.

It obvious if you cared 1/10th as much as the P met handlers do about Ts, you'd have more Ts! ;) :troll:

NYAN

Arachnoking
I love plastic tubs and deli cups. I like to see them, so I don’t use dark plastic in the tubs, but I don’t mind it not being terribly nice looking.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Are those black latches of some sort on the left side of all the containers? Those sorta remind me of TCS's shoe boxes.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I have my small slings in deli cups, my large slings in small KKs, and my juvies/adults in acrylic “tarantula” cages.

My juvie C. versicolor is in a really neat setup with a cork tube and artfully glued fake fronds to provide cover up top. And my P. metallica has a similar set up, just with a wider tube and plants for reptile cages that have suction cups on them.

Last edited:

LittleGiRLy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There is no greater feeling than looking at a happy, and healthy T in an enclosure that you took time to make, "just right". Let alone, a wall of them! I love uniformity, and acrylic makes it all the more aesthetically pleasing. The real issue, is when you find space after arranging them! Now, what can i put over here...

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I don't have the space. My adult female arboreal species are in custom made acrylic enclosures, but none of my terrestrial species are. I'm fine with that and it doesn't bother me.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
It’s been a battle for me. I want things to look good, but price and space hold me back. When the collection was small I used mostly acrylic, added cork backgrounds with moss and fake plants glued in an such. I still have those and they still look awesome. Sitting right next to those beautiful enclosures are a bunch of deli cups, stackable zoomeds and various Tupperware style containers. I’d love to have everything look perfect, but I’d rather have the 50+ spiders I currently have.

baconwrappedpikachu

Arachnosquire
Aesthetically pleasing enclosures that look nice and clean on shelves is definitely a priority for me! I love designing the enclosures and making them look nice, too. I don’t have any adults yet so I’ve been buying the crystal clear acrylic containers and I add the hinges for doors and ventilation holes myself. So not quite totally DIY, but good practice.

My project this summer is to try and completely DIY some adult-size acrylic enclosures!

We are putting some modular wall shelving into the office where the Ts will live, and I want to put some cabinets in so I will be able to store my feeders, supplies, and all the less “pretty” stuff where it won’t be visible.

Doesn’t hurt that my girlfriend has made it a stipulation that I don’t just have a bunch of cluttered/messy tarantula enclosures everywhere, so I don’t really have a choice but to make sure everything is aesthetically pleasing... Especially since I keep increasing my wish list, haha!

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Are those black latches of some sort on the left side of all the containers? Those sorta remind me of TCS's shoe boxes.
Gaffer's tape. It's expensive, but it's strong, leaves no residue, and can be stuck, peeled back, and re-stuck over and over again many times.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Gaffer's tape. It's expensive, but it's strong, leaves no residue, and can be stuck, peeled back, and re-stuck over and over again many times.
What brand do you get? I've searched for it, I'm never sure which brand is best.

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
Doesn't really matter, although I try to go as cheap and as clear as possible. Hence my recent foray into adapting critter keepers for arboreals.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have a hinge from a plastic ExoTerra that snapped a bit. I've been using Scotch tape but it's terrible. I need this, much appreciated @nicodimus22 and @lostbrane