How many slings do I need to get a female?

Lyrognathus

Arachnosquire
What's a good number of slings to get a female Ornithoctoninae sp. Hatihati? I know they're heavily male skewed, but I don't how much.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Usually 3 or 4 slings will be enough to get you a female of any species. It won't guarantee it of course because, you know, statistics, but it will increase your chances a lot.

Lyrognathus

Arachnosquire
Whenever I buy 3 I never end up without a female. So you should be good with 3.
Usually 3 or 4 slings will be enough to get you a female of any species. It won't guarantee it of course because, you know, statistics, but it will increase your chances a lot.
I'm talking specifically about this species since they seem to be heavily skewed towards males.

boina

Lady of the mites
I'm talking specifically about this species since they seem to be heavily skewed towards males.
Yes, I've heard so too, but in my own experience I bought 3 Omothymus schioedtei slings and still had a female among them, and that species is said to be as male heavy as hatihati. It's still statistics - I've heard of people buying 10 and not getting a female. They grow fast, though, so I wouldn't probably go all out and buy 10, but only 3 to 5 and after 6 months, if there really isn't a female among them, I'd try again.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
This always cracks me up. It’s a lottery. You buy unsexed, you get unsexed.

If you desire a female. Buy a confirmed female for the price it would cost for 3 or more slings.

Lyrognathus

Arachnosquire

If you desire a female. Buy a confirmed female for the price it would cost for 3 or more slings.
We don't have confirmed females for sale up here and I want to know how heavily skewed they are towards males. There's no harm in that.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
We don't have confirmed females for sale up here and I want to know how heavily skewed they are towards males. There's no harm in that.
I didnt mean to come across rude, my apologies. Though there may be higher male ratio you could buy one and it is female. You could buy 10 and all be male.

I hope you get a female :)

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
In order to increase ch as nces of a female, I like to buy slings in groups of 5.

Vinny2915

Arachnosquire
@KezyGLA the benefit of buying more is for breading purposes.
In regards to the male heavy idea, I don't quite believe it. I as well bought 3 C.schioedtei and ended up with a female and 2 males. Plus I talked to (I think it was amanda) tarantula Canada at an expo and asked about l.violaceopes being male heavy and she confirmed she's raised many from sling and found it to be about 50/50. Some people have good luck, some bad but I doubt it is really all that male heavy. Plus what biological purpose would that serve?

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +

Thank you!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I’ve needed over 10 sometime for one female but 3-5 is good yeah.

cold blood

Staff member
Whaaa? A sexed female here in the states would likely run nearly 10 times what a sling would run.

I agree though, its a total game of chance.

If its anything like the aforementioned schoedtei, it could be a lot f you don't get lucky....some might buy 3 and get one or two, me, bought 17 of them and still had to get a sexed female...lol.

5 is usually a good number, some more female heavy species 2 or 3 might be a smart buy....but others that are really male heavy, I would get 10 just to be sure.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Here's what you do. Get a coin, call heads male and tails female, then flip it. count the number of flips it takes to get tales, then buy that many slings. Trust me, works every time!:troll:

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I bought 2 C. shioedtei and got two males. Definitely go with 3 or more.

On the other hand, I bought 3 L. Sp. Borneo Blacks and got 2 females.

Still though, I’d go with maybe 4 or 5.